Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backpacking the Rm3d?  (Read 2144 times)

ChristopherBarrett

Backpacking the Rm3d?
« on: October 13, 2012, 07:46:16 am »

Hey People,

I've signed up for the PODAS Monument Valley trip and will be taking my Rm3d system out into the wilds.  Obviously, my Pelican case is going to be a bit much to lug around.  Anyone come up with a great backpack solution for the Arca, yet?

Camera, Digi Back, 4 lenses, MacBook and odds and ends.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Cheers,
CB

tho_mas

Re: Backpacking the Rm3d?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 09:30:53 am »

Me personally I only use a backpack for very long trips.
I prefer to work out of cases (especially with the tech cam). The handling is much better for me.
When traveling by car with intermediate stops for walks of a few kilometers (I guess this is more or less what you guys do on a PODAS workshop) I use my cases with an attachable backpack system… see for instance here: http://www.b-w-international.com/index.php?option=com_facileforms&Itemid=66&lang=en
A mid sized Pelican case should fit into the B&H backpack thing.

Downside: it's of course a bit heavier than a dedicated backpack.
Upside: you can take the case out of the backpack and leave the backpack on your back while shooting… so you don't have to put down the backpack in the dirt (which can be really annoying when you're in mud or when it's raining). Too, you can use the case to stand on it if you shoot from a higher camera position (not kidding… I do that quite often).

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 12:14:00 pm »

This might be an obvious choice you've already considered, but Tamrac's CyberPack 6 is a great backpack. The side that rests against your back is one big flat laptop compartment. And the rest of the pack is spacious, configurable, well supported, weather sealed, etc.

ethan pines

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 01:23:10 pm »

The padded inserts of Explorer Cases, used separate from the hard shell, are the lightest solution I could find. I use mine strapped on to a Camp Trails pack frame.
http://www.explorercases-usa.com/index2.htm
Good light! - Hening

DanielStone

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 03:18:25 pm »

give these guys a look see

its just a simple "conversion" for a Peli 1510(unless you're using a different model Pelican)

www.rucpac.com

adammork

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 03:20:05 am »

When I need a backpack I use this:
http://koenig-photobags.de/photorucksack-standard.phtml

Light, 100% warteproof, very well made..... I'm a fan

/adam

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 11:14:16 am »

I backpack with mine extensively.  I use an Rm3di with a Rodenstock 32mm, and I carry a Contax 645 with a 120mm.  Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment.  I use a Lowepro Mountaineer backpack, then I went to a sporting goods store, and got a cloth tackle box case that was just big enough.  I then bought some high density foam (make sure you get the kind that doesn't disintigrate!), made the appropriate cutouts for the back, knobs & such, then covered the foam with a nice felt liner.  The camera is fully supported & cushioned and the whole thing is very lightweight.  The case is held in place high in the backpack with the standard supports that come with the pack. Have used it for about a year now and very happy with the setup, but a bit time consuming to put together.  I can email you a photo if you are interested.
As an aside, if you carry a lot of weight, I highly recommend using hiking poles.  Ascents are not too bad without them, but descents on steep terrain & on slick rock are brutal on the body over time and the hiking poles really take the brutality out of the impacts.  As you might expect, this necessitates mounting your tripod on the pack.
Hope this helps.

Kevin
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 01:17:33 am »

If it is those shorter hikes and things like that mentioned above I would recommend the pelican cases with a bag insert since it offers you all of the protection of a pelican case and the portability of being able to carry a normal sized bag which slips into the case when needed or when traveling.

they offer the 1526 which i use and it works very well...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89383-REG/Pelican_1520_007_110_1526_Combo_Case_Black.html

if you need something larger, I just found this Porta Brace bag / kit which fits inside of a Pelican 1560 (larger rolling case)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/591741-REG/Porta_Brace_PB_1560ICO_PB_1560ICO_Interior_Case.html

Best,
BH
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner
Pages: [1]   Go Up