Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Portraits  (Read 8059 times)

Rob C

Portraits
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:02:53 pm »

Okay, somebody suggested we start a new space for portraits.

Here's one; love it or hate it: c'est toute la même chose.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Portraits
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:04:17 pm »

It's an interesting shot, Rob. It's also a classic example of what color noise looks like. Do I get to put my portrait of the abandoned house in here?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 06:26:02 pm »

A look highly indicative of a time Rob.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »

So I take this is for portraits, not just a place to critique this particular portrait ... which is interesting. Not sure I like the excess of noise.

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:41:55 pm »

Okay,  I'll bite.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 07:02:17 pm »

Nice shot Walter taken at an unusual and imaginative angle, it certainly grabs the viewers attention - I like it.

But who put her eyebrows on? It looks like she has turned her head so quickly, her eyebrows weren't able to keep up :o

Dave

WalterEG

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 07:39:41 pm »

It may have been a slip of the blade as someone was possibly eradicating a third eye-brow Dave.  Ooooohh, I am so naughty to say such a thing.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 10:28:15 pm »

My friend Dave Byron, a guitarist from Chicago:

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 03:50:38 am »

So I take this is for portraits, not just a place to critique this particular portrait ... which is interesting. Not sure I like the excess of noise.

Yes, Bill, that's the purpose/intent of kicking this off - just to show the poster who felt the lack of a portrait section that it's easily created.

Regarding the piccy of Beverley: the original is Kodachrome shot on, I think, a 35mm Nikkor. She's standing in the midle of a field in Cyprus and the expression is helped along by the hope that there are no snakes lurking in the weeds... As I recall, I stood in the road - you can replace a model but not yourself!

Actually, the shot is already visible on Without Prejudice as a tightish vetical culled from the mid-right of the original horizontal image; it's my latest one on the thread there. We did a series of heads in a beach-bar with that bandana and blouse; I know I worked on one shot from that lot years ago when I first got the scanner, but can't remember where I hid the file - must search for it. She was eating a slice of watermelon at the time, and so much reddish bounced tone in the shot was rather intrusive on skin, but she was so beautiful with a wonderful, wonderful figure to boot.

A funny note: we were shooting some wet tops on the beach at Grecian Bay, near Aya Napa, on which, at the time, stood nothing more than the skeleton of a hotel that was being constructed. We stopped for a break and to think what to do next, when we were approached by a UN soldier doing his run along the shore. Within minutes, there was a whole bloody squadron of the mothers sitting around us, because she was well known in the UK from her advertising work for KP Nuts, I think it was. (It might have been Big D instead - sounds more likely to me. They used to sport large cardboard point-of-sales plaques with a pic of a model covered with packets of real nuts, and as you bought the packets the model was uncovered. Disappointment, ultimately; she didn't do topless, just see-thru.) We were both very glad to chat politely for a few minutes and then get the hell out of it. Never did like men in large groups, especially sex-starved soldiers in foreign parts. Actually, there was a case there in Cyprus of the murder of a girl who got picked up on the road by a vehicle full of soldiers. It’s not all fun in the sun.

Walter - indeed, it is of its day; the bandana reminds me of Abba! Since I wear one now, I suppose it's only natural - atavistic.

I really like the headshot of your girl - what invitation lurks on those lips! Promised to kiss´n´tell?

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:30:23 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 04:39:14 am »

It may have been a slip of the blade as someone was possibly eradicating a third eye-brow Dave.  Ooooohh, I am so naughty to say such a thing.

Walter, in an art shop in the Jose Banus Marina in Marbella, there was large photographic close-up for sale of what I took to be a rather unusual eye; I couldn't quite figure the angle from which it had been shot, for a while, the brows kept confusing me; and then it dawned that the eye was artificial...

This could start an entirely new thread on Close Up Photography.

Rob C

Dahlmann

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 08:05:11 am »

G´day

/Dahlmann

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 08:35:10 am »

Very strong image; good shooting.

Rob C

David Jilek

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 11:22:54 am »

OKAY! I'll bite on this one too. Since I love shooting both people and landscapes I think this could be  a lot of fun!

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 12:26:33 pm »

OKAY! I'll bite on this one too. Since I love shooting both people and landscapes I think this could be  a lot of fun!

Also educational: the only other time I've seen anyone wearing something under his hat was during an interview on the Beeb with Keith Richards. Live, look and learn!

Rob C

John R

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 09:54:11 pm »

Nice shot Walter taken at an unusual and imaginative angle, it certainly grabs the viewers attention - I like it.

But who put her eyebrows on? It looks like she has turned her head so quickly, her eyebrows weren't able to keep up :o

Dave
A really fine image Walter. It is not her eyebrows that caught my eye, but a fine sensuous depiction of part of the human face.

JMR

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 11:01:18 pm »

A portrait that has captured me for years is this one:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/6891
~ CB

WalterEG

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 01:08:13 am »

I wonder if he's been plucking his eyebrows too?

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 04:26:43 am »

A portrait that has captured me for years is this one:
http://www.shorpy.com/node/6891

Which just shows to go you, PS brings little new to the art of making the beautiful divine...

I especially fall for the delightful highlights on the fingers. We strive to create that sort of lighting these days, and seldom manage it so well. Just don't blow the image up too far and destroy the illlusion.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2012, 12:45:14 pm »

Rob, contrary to your claims, there are still girls to shoot in Spain ;):

Portraits in the ruins of Spain

Seoonmie

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 01:49:25 pm »

Hi, I hope you don't mind a newbie playing too: