Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some things from Adak, Alaska  (Read 1559 times)

AJMorris

• Nature's Light and Magic
Some things from Adak, Alaska
« on: October 11, 2012, 09:30:02 pm »

Hey all! I've been gone for some time. We were deployed and underway in the Bering Sea, made port at Adak and anchored off Attu islands. anyway here are a few shots i got while out climbing Mt.Moffett. I accidentally included one of my friends in the photo of the mountain but decided to keep him because he adds some scale to the image which otherwide wouldnt really capture how big the world really is. Let me know what you think! Thanks for looking!
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson
www.NaturesLightandMagic.com

Colorado David

Re: Some things from Adak, Alaska
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 11:12:38 pm »

A friend and colleague of mine was a Navy photographer and was stationed on Adak for some time.  He got out of the Navy after his time on Adak and stayed there for a few years.

AJMorris

• Nature's Light and Magic
Re: Some things from Adak, Alaska
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 12:44:38 am »

It sure is an interesting place. As you know it was a naval air station but it's been shut down since 94. Now it looks like something out of a post apocalyptic zombie movie with abandon buildings being reclaimed by nature. It looks like everyone just vanished and left this intact military town. I think the population is just over 100 for the entire island and almost no trees on the whole island which you can see in the photo.
"Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the Earth are never alone or weary of life" - Rachel Carson
www.NaturesLightandMagic.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up