Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon EOS1DX DXO Sensor Scores  (Read 9876 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
Canon EOS1DX DXO Sensor Scores
« on: October 11, 2012, 06:39:37 pm »

Interesting..

The 'rumoured' numbers form above link

DxO score: 90
DR: 12.8
Color depth: 24.9 bits
ISO: 3296

Do what you will with these numbers. They do show that the 1D X has the “best” technical numbers as far as sensor testing goes. This puts the 1D X above the Nikon D4, but below the D600 & D800. I know people love to debate the numbers from DXOMark.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 06:43:07 pm by Josh-H »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Canon EOS1DX DXO Sensor Scores
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 07:33:35 pm »

Funny they still have not updated their site.  I had wondered why it was taking so long to get the 1Dx updated from "preview" to "tested"  It will be a good thing for Canon if the score hits 90. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

allegretto

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 08:34:12 pm »

Not the only ones rating sensors;

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR.htm

BTW, your numbers appear almost the same as the D4

The above link thinks the DR is less at low ISO

Good thing we shoot pics with cameras and not reviews however.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 08:43:15 pm by allegretto »

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:38:27 pm »

I don't know about the technical numbers but the EOS-1D X is my favorite current camera to shoot with. My reasons for this go beyond the numbers and extend to how they have rethought the control layout. The one thing I do not like about it is that it is hard to see into the corners of the frame - eye relief.

As 24x36mm format DSLRs are concerned, the D800 can't be beat for sheer  technical considerations image quality but technical camera qualities are far from the end all and be all of what I look for in a camera. If you primarily shoot landscapes, still lifes, or set up portraits then the things that the D800 excels at come to the forefront. but as a "put on my shoulder and walk around camera" I really am quite fond of the 1D X.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 08:57:18 pm »

At least we now all seem to agree that the DxO numbers are relevant to assess the image quality of cameras.  ;)

I hope it stays the case even if these rumored numbers end up not being true.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:08:49 am by BernardLanguillier »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 09:14:33 pm »

... but as a "put on my shoulder and walk around camera" I really am quite fond of the 1D X.

You must be from the City of Big Shoulders* then?  ;)

* Chicago

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 10:40:31 pm »

DxO is so far behind in their testing the next generation of cameras is nearly out before they get the current generation tested.  They shut down for a number of weeks this summer to 'rejig' their operation.  Now, rather than spend time catching up on the backlog they've announced that they're beginning to test mobile devices.  Losing relevance may be the operative phrase for DxO before long.

allegretto

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:16:36 pm »

You must be from the City of Big Shoulders* then?  ;)

* Chicago

you're getting soft Buddy. You need to hit the gym...   ;)

Glenn NK

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 11:42:42 pm »

Once upon a time in a forum I forget the name of, someone published a chart showing black frame noise for my first DSLR - a Canon 30D.

It seemed that the ISO values with the lowest noise were multiples of 160 (320, 640) - which I've been using.

This latest (comcast) reference indicates that these same ISO values may be the best in terms of DR for some Canon bodies.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

MrSmith

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 04:27:49 am »

I found that in the real world i got better looking files using those iOS multiples but the scientists and mathmaticians on here disagree.
I'm happy with my ignorance though, puts food on the table and clients happy but then I use a dynamically challenged inferior sensor, don't use the +exposure slider that much or shoot test charts. ;D

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 06:08:19 am »

I don't know about the technical numbers but the EOS-1D X is my favorite current camera to shoot with. My reasons for this go beyond the numbers and extend to how they have rethought the control layout. The one thing I do not like about it is that it is hard to see into the corners of the frame - eye relief.

As 24x36mm format DSLRs are concerned, the D800 can't be beat for sheer  technical considerations image quality but technical camera qualities are far from the end all and be all of what I look for in a camera. If you primarily shoot landscapes, still lifes, or set up portraits then the things that the D800 excels at come to the forefront. but as a "put on my shoulder and walk around camera" I really am quite fond of the 1D X.
The D800 lacks any kind of image quality for me because my lenses don't fit on it.
I've never been on DXO site, I have no interest in lab rat numbers.
A camera has to work for me with what I shoot and how I do it. No doubt the figures will contradict me but I think the X has far more shadow depth than the 1DsIII I had. I also think there is more in the colours. The AA filter is very weak. Right now easily the best all round camera I've ever had. 12 fps great for doing panos in a spot turning helicopter.
I'm liking it more and more. The 1DsIII was a disappointment from the start, getting it to focus was a challenge sometimes and I never felt the DR was very good and I could hit the buffer too easily when shooting a sequence. The X's high iso is a revelation, I've not used it in anger but I tried 12,800 in a dimly evenly lit room and it was very good. The real test for high iso is in scenes with uneven lighting, that bit between detail and black is what decides it for me in the shooting conditions I need high iso. And it upscales very nicely, I think the weak AA helps with upscaling.
Great camera the X.
It's all X files for me these days, no mystery as to why.

Kevin.
Kevin.

Glenn NK

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 08:32:16 pm »

The D800 lacks any kind of image quality for me because my lenses don't fit on it.

Kevin.

Danm, I have the same problem.  LMAO

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

allegretto

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 10:24:45 pm »

you guys are too funny

in a previous life, as a young stud I was into audio equipment. There were basically two camps;

- folks who would spend nights endlessly looking at at "spec sheets" about THD, IMD, bandwidth and RMS and decide what was "best"

- and others who would sit down in a dimly lit room with some tunes (vinyl...!) and listen.

each thought the other Barbarians.... but both loved their Sound.

some things don't change.   8)

BernardLanguillier

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 02:18:13 am by BernardLanguillier »

Josh-H

Wild Nature Photo Travel

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 12:39:20 am »

Was wondering how long it would take you to get that online.

You mean... you already knew the info you had posted was fake?  ;D

But it doesn't change anything about the relevance of DxO mark results, right? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 03:24:48 am by BernardLanguillier »

Josh-H

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 12:43:15 am »

You mean... you already knew the info you had posted was fake?

But it doesn't change anything about the relevance of DxO mark results, right? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Dont be obtuse. I new it was a 'rumour' and there is an important distinction.

Relevance of DxO results... I'm not touching that one....

Wild Nature Photo Travel

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 07:35:45 am »

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

hjulenissen

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 07:42:38 am »

in a previous life, as a young stud I was into audio equipment. There were basically two camps;

- folks who would spend nights endlessly looking at at "spec sheets" about THD, IMD, bandwidth and RMS and decide what was "best"

- and others who would sit down in a dimly lit room with some tunes (vinyl...!) and listen.

each thought the other Barbarians.... but both loved their Sound.
There is a third "camp": those who love the subjective, sensualist art and magic of sound and music, but who believe that in order to make choices based on subjective impressions ("should I purchase this $1000 cable?"), you need to use controlled experiments (i.e. blind testing) in order to eliminate human bias.

-h

hjulenissen

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 07:44:54 am »

Once upon a time in a forum I forget the name of, someone published a chart showing black frame noise for my first DSLR - a Canon 30D.

It seemed that the ISO values with the lowest noise were multiples of 160 (320, 640) - which I've been using.

This latest (comcast) reference indicates that these same ISO values may be the best in terms of DR for some Canon bodies.
That is strange. I have the impression that Canon cameras tend to have the best DR at iso100, 200,... ISO 160 may have different noise figures or different signal levels, but since all that is apparently done (?) is a digital amplification, you need to check noise and signal at the same time?

-h
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up