Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf9100 Feedback  (Read 2353 times)

phero66

• Artbot Photography
Canon ipf9100 Feedback
« on: October 11, 2012, 01:50:02 pm »

So amid all these great Canon Rebates going on we are considering buying into a 60" printer, coming from a Epson 9880.

Can any users share their operational frustrations with this printer?  Im fine with color gamut, ink cost etc.  my main concern is that it appears to be a generation before the smaller 8300 series, and I can't seem to get a straight answer about what it might be lacking, in terms of software or operations.  Everything I've read on here praises the 8300 (from a evolutionary standpoint).  I'm assume both use the same driver software plug-ins, and the latest Lucia Inkset... Any clarification would be helpful.

Plan to mostly print fine art and some photo papers, with occasional large prints for mural projects on Phototex, and even more rarely backlite film.

Thanks in advance,

-John

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Canon ipf9100 Feedback
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:06:30 pm »

The range from iPF6100, iPF8300 to iPF9100 has been upgraded to iPFx400 which has basically the iPF8300 qualities. Photokina September 2012. So take the reports on the iPF8300 as a guide in the purchase of an iPF9400.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/printers/canon6400-8400.html

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Dinkla Grafische Techniek
Quad,piëzografie,giclée
www.pigment-print.com

GaryBarker

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 04:40:15 pm »

John,
If you can live with the color gamut the 9100 is a reliable printer. The was no X300 series device in 60" width, so this was the unit until the latest 9400 has been released, which does have an improved ink set and a slight improvement in speed (nothing to get too excited about.)

There are some very good deals for the 9100 so if you have an interest feel free to contact me at 1-800-681-0024 and I would be happy to go over this with you.

Thank you.

Gary Barker
Gary Barker
DTG National Sales Manager

phero66

• Artbot Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 10:59:58 pm »

"If you can live with the color gamut the 9100 is a reliable printer. "

This is what I find confusing.  I was under the impression that when new updates to the Lucia inks come out, the older printers can use them too. If this is the case, but there is still a gamut difference, is it then tied to a driver/software difference between the models?  And how bad is this gamut difference really (considering I'm coming from a 8 ink printer, either the x100 or x300/x400 would be a big improvement right?)

For me, sometimes I run experimental materials or coatings.  I know on the 8300 series has the ability to run a Media Configuration Tool that lets you judge, among other things, the right media setting to start from on a 3rd party media based off of test prints.  I would find this feature very helpful.  Also read North Lights review of the ipf5100, which if the 9100 is the same, would mean I would get some difference in gloss differential on glossy media types.

The ipfx400 series seems nice, but since I don't do high volume work, not sure it would be cost beneficial if the print quality or operations were ever so close.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 02:53:00 am »

Of course you can't use new LUCIA EX in older printers (x000/x100), so the gamut will be even smaller than in Epson x880.

There's also a difference in gloss differential, bronzing, and black impression on glossy media. In MCT on x400 series you can also automatically create custom media configuration files using iPF6450SP built in spectrophotometer, share them with other x400 units, and after that autocalibrate the printer using custom media and built-in spectrodensitometer (that's a little improved in x400).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 02:55:27 am by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 05:58:54 am »

"If you can live with the color gamut the 9100 is a reliable printer. "

There were some hardware issues with the iPF9000 in high volume printing that may have been solved in the iPF9100 or the iPF9400.

Early European adopter. Not my shop but a friend's.
The flat cable running to the head carriage would wear out in time, the symptoms a problem with the Light Magenta in prints. The electric connection for LM data transfer broken. Happened more often over the course of 5.5 years of use.
Another issue after some years of use was a loss of clamping power of the pinch rolls on the media transport axle so media transport issues. That took a longer time to solve and Canon did not have a clue. Axle was replaced with a new one etc. What actually caused it was the transport axle support underneath. Plastic parts with a small wheel where the axle turned on. The wheels most likely got stuck by paper lint and the the wear increased on a small part of the wheels bringing the axle some mm downwards. Canon provided another design of support without the wheels, a plastic cushion as support. Should now be common on the new models I guess.
Head wear may have been higher than expected but this printer worked 24/5 and pumped a lot of Canon ink. So Canon was very polite in all the service provided including free head replacements.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
400+ inkjet paper white spectral plots, October 2012:
Extended: Ilford-Innova-Hahnemühle-Pictorico,
NEW added: Tetenal-Mitsubishi, NEW halfway: Kodak-Bonjet,
NEW to do: Permajet-FelixSchoeller-Sihl
Would like to get samples: InkPress-JonCone

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:52:53 am »

From what I heard is that the inks from the old series are the exact same in the new series, but with a different chipset on the cartridge.  You can't use the ink from the 8300 in the 8400, but you can use the ink from the 8400 in the 8300...which I think is a bit stupid.  The colors won't really be any different, but in fact, very close to match.  It's only the speed is increased a little and the hardware/software has been updated.  We still have a small handful of the IPF8300 in stock and do carry the x400 series as well.

There are some really great rebates going on for both series.

The Canon IPF9100 is a better model vs the HP series, but pretty close to Epson's large printers.

Let me know if you have any questions on these with the different series.  Mail-ins and Trade-ins are available on pretty much all Canon's.
cwood@atlex.com
800-327-2822 x5583

phero66

• Artbot Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 01:36:16 pm »

Ok thanks everyone for clearing this up!  The annoucement of the backward compatibility with x300 series must of been confused in my brain over the "older" Lucia ink printers.  I would never think you could use newer Epson ink sets in older printers, but for some reason, probably due to over printer shopping!, it got translated to the 9100 as well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up