Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 9890 In design  (Read 1883 times)

rogan

9890 In design
« on: October 10, 2012, 06:19:43 pm »

I am a photographer so normally print files from my printer but trying to proof a promo I am doing on my 9890. I have all the printer profiles and such downloaded and installed. What settings should I use? I realize it's not a rip and won't be exact but would love to get as close as possible.
Thanks in advance

hugowolf

Re: 9890 In design
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 10:44:52 pm »

I am a photographer so normally print files from my printer but trying to proof a promo I am doing on my 9890. I have all the printer profiles and such downloaded and installed. What settings should I use? I realize it's not a rip and won't be exact but would love to get as close as possible.
Thanks in advance
I think more details would be required: what are you trying to proof and for whom? And 'what settings' in what software or the driver?

Brian A

rogan

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:03:24 am »

An indesign file with text and words thru indesign cs6. A brouchure for self promotion that will be printed on offset
Images are swop already
paper is enhanhanced matte
Real project will be printed on uncoated stock
Just wondering from indesign where to set what settings. I choose paper, color management off and enhanced matte from the epson "printer" dialog box, just wondering how to set the color management dialog box inside indesign?
thanks

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:24:35 am »

File>Print>Colour Management
Print
(o) Proof (Profile: here should be swop profile that you want to simulate, if the CMYK color space is different change the document color space using Edit>Assign Profiles...)
Options
Colour Handlig: Let InDesign Determine Colours
Printer Profile Epson 7890 + enhanced matte icc profile
[v] Simulate Paper Colour
[Setup...]
Media type: enhanced matte
Mode: custom, Off (no color adjustment)
An indesign file with text and words thru indesign cs6. A brouchure for self promotion that will be printed on offset
Images are swop already
paper is enhanhanced matte
Real project will be printed on uncoated stock
Just wondering from indesign where to set what settings. I choose paper, color management off and enhanced matte from the epson "printer" dialog box, just wondering how to set the color management dialog box inside indesign?
thanks
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 02:38:23 pm by Czornyj »
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Ed Foster, Jr.

• http://www.edfoster.net
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 01:46:14 pm »

Thanks in advance
Rogan,

InDesign can be a little buggy if you are attempting to proof a design that will be printed elsewhere and really requires a Postscript printer or a RIP for the 9890 to get a really accurate proof. The graphic arts workflow for quality commercial printing is a separate art and craft, and is really more than can be covered in a post or two.

However, if you have Photoshop and are familiar with printing to it, you might try saving your design as a PDF file using high quality print settings and then opening it in Photoshop and printing through your normal color managed process. That should give you a rough idea of color reproduction and will provide for a hard proof with respect to type, layout and overall design.

When you take it to your printer, they should be able to provide you with a proof that you can review for color balance before printing.

I hope this helps.
Ed
Ed Foster, Jr.
[url=http://www.edfoster.

JeanMichel

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 02:06:09 pm »

Rogan,

InDesign can be a little buggy if you are attempting to proof a design that will be printed elsewhere and really requires a Postscript printer or a RIP for the 9890 to get a really accurate proof. The graphic arts workflow for quality commercial printing is a separate art and craft, and is really more than can be covered in a post or two.

However, if you have Photoshop and are familiar with printing to it, you might try saving your design as a PDF file using high quality print settings and then opening it in Photoshop and printing through your normal color managed process. That should give you a rough idea of color reproduction and will provide for a hard proof with respect to type, layout and overall design.

When you take it to your printer, they should be able to provide you with a proof that you can review for color balance before printing.

Hi,
Agree. The most you will get from either InDesign or PS printed PDF is an approximation of the output. Even with a RIP, I strongly recommend that you get the proofs made by the printshop that will be printing the job.
The best you can get from InDesign (and it is not great) without a RIP is to:
Output: Composite RGB ; check Text as Black
Color mgmt: Let InDesign Determine Colours (well you have no choice); Printer profile: the profile for the paper you are using to print the proof (not the eventual press paper); Output Color: check the Preserve RGB numbers
That will give you an approximate proof, but not usable as a contract proof. That said, I find that with careful work one can send press quality PDF's to a press house and get back correct proofs. Process colour swatch book and Pantone swatch books are also essential tools.

Jean-Michel

Pages: [1]   Go Up