Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flowing water & leaf  (Read 2033 times)

MikeB55

Flowing water & leaf
« on: October 10, 2012, 05:44:54 pm »

I recently attended a workshop on movement and shot this. Comments would be appreciated.

Mike

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:38:03 pm by MikeB55 »

Peter McLennan

Re: Flowing water & leaf
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 08:57:20 pm »

Nice.  I'd crop the top 10% to lose the upper left corner side shoreline and its highlight.

MikeB55

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 11:42:36 am »

Thanks. All though it stood out when looking at the captures from that day, I was not sure if it had any 'merit' hence the request for an opinion.

Mike

EricV

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:55:48 pm »

The main mass of water is completely saturated pure white (at least on my monitor).  Is the highlight detail recoverable?  I think that would improve the image and create a better sense of motion.

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 04:28:58 pm »

Eric,

On my monitor the fairy-floss water is not featureless white but has texture and form.  I suspect that the characteristics of the medium of transmission do not do images with subtle rendering any great favours.

MikeB55

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 05:23:38 pm »

Eric - there are no blown highlights in this version and the RAW file has a full tonal range. As Walter observes there is texture and form in the water but it is quite subtle - perhaps too subtle.  I think I'll go back and work on the highlights though and see what comes out.

Thanks.

Mike

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:45:33 pm »

Nice.  I'd crop the top 10% to lose the upper left corner side shoreline and its highlight.

Unless it's possible to get much more detail in the rather amorphous mass of white water in the centre, I'd chop off the entire left-hand half. The flow in the right-hand half gives a pleasing, metallic effect and I think it would look fine on its own.

I'm not convinced by the very marked grain, which I'd guess has been added (look at it at 100%).

Have I missed the leaf?

Jeremy

MikeB55

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 02:31:33 pm »

Thanks Jeremy. There is a small yellow-green leaf in the lower right corner on the first step of the falls. Although small it is surprising prominent in the print.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up