Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lexar 1000x CF cards....? Do you use them? Should I buy one?  (Read 4180 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
Lexar 1000x CF cards....? Do you use them? Should I buy one?
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:30:11 pm »

I would like to buy the Lexar Professional 1000x 16 GB cards. (initially, I wanted to get the 600x versions but they are no longer available.) I have looked at the reviews and lot of people are complaining about the fact that these new 1000x cards fail. I am a wedding photographer and can't afford to lose photos...although I always back up the pictures in the dual slot.

My question: Have you ever used the Lexar Professional 1000x 16Gb series cards and what your experience is....?

Sheldon N

Re: Lexar 1000x CF cards....? Do you use them? Should I buy one?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:28:54 am »

Use a pair of the 16GB Lexar 1000x cards in the 1D X. Two weddings and several thousand frames with no issues. They are fast in camera and fast to download with a USB 3.0 Lexar Card reader. Happy with my purchase.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:46:33 am »

I'm running card with sizes from 8-31gb and speeds from 300x to 600x and I think I also,have a couple 1000x Lexar 16gb cards, too. In my experience, they all perform fine in the camera since I'm not trying to shoot balls-to-the-walls 100 shot raw bursts.

The big thing is downloading to the computer. The faster cards, of course, take less time and that's the big bottleneck, IMO. However, downloading fast cards is limited by the both the card reader and your computer's bus speed. I am always shooting multiple cameras in the field so I always have several cards to download. My solution is multiple card readers, FireWire 800 and USB 2. Of the two, the USB is slower but for SD cards, that's the only option. I simply load up all the card reader slots and start the ingest going. With multiple card readers, this bottleneck isn't too much an issue for me. With USB 3 slowly taking over, this may then be an issue with slower cards eventually, but for now, save your money and simply buy and use slower cards.

In a couple of years, cards will be bigger, faster and cheaper and you'll probably replace them. Most likely card readers will be faster, too, and you'll probably have replaced both.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

walter.sk

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 01:41:40 pm »

I bought a Lexar 32G 1000X CF card for my 5DMkIII.  DPReview's database of CF card speeds with various cameras found that that card was the fastest in writing RAW files for my camera (faster than the 16Gb 1000X cards, as well.)

I had to buy the card in early August, and the lowest price was $225!  I decided to get a 2nd one now and it is about $100 less!

The card almost doubled the number of RAW files I can get in a burst, going from about 16 to 29.  I can consistently shoot at the highest frame rate (6 fps) and when uploading the files with a USB3 card reader, the speed is stunning.

With the exception of Lexar CF card that failed soon after I bought it 10 years ago, I have had no card failures with any Lexar or Sandisk cards since then.

jcable12

allegretto

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 11:15:13 pm »

related, do any of you find that card readers seem to work for a little while then just stop working and you have to get a new one?

this has happened to me a few times now.

does anyone have a fix, or am I the only one who has this problem?

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 02:13:55 pm »

Have you ever used the Lexar Professional 1000x 16Gb series cards and what your experience is....?
I use a Lexar 1000x 32 GB on a Canon 5D2. It has failed me once, stopping to record images, without any notice from the camera. Since, I have made it my habit not only to delete old images, but to re-format the card every time. This has helped - so far…
Pages: [1]   Go Up