Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterfall in Germany  (Read 1611 times)

Heizmann Media

Waterfall in Germany
« on: October 09, 2012, 06:52:48 am »

Hey community,

please give me some feedback on this one.
you may also like my facebook page for more photos, thanks a lot: https://www.facebook.com/heizmannmedia

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Waterfall in Germany
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:14:04 am »

Welcome!

I think it's a pretty scene but I find the clump of greenery in the foreground is distracting. It's very bright and very vivid; it drags my attention away from the waterfall. It's also blurred, which doesn't help.

Jeremy

Heizmann Media

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:38:26 am »

yeah, the bluring is caused by the shutter speed. i should have done 2 pictures and paste the plants from a picture with higher shutter speed. :-\

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 09:25:34 am »

This is a nice effort, but there are a wide variety of things that collectively diminish its full potential.

Focus is odd for two reasons.  1) There is motion blur of the background trees and the foreground plant.  2) The focus point is too close, leaving theboulders on the left and the waterfall itself a bit soft.  These two issues combine to create a situation where the only really excellent focus is on the leaves in the creek in the center bottom of the image. I am pretty sure that wasn't what you wanted to consider the primary subject of the image.

Exposure is difficult in this shot. Deep forest photography is hard because you are always dealing with extremes of brightness (sky) and darkness (underhanging cliffs). In this case you have a few too many pure black areas.  On the right and left there are large expanses without detail.  You can do this, but not so much as you have here. Also, the water is too dingy gray. It should be brighter.  Can you burn that in a bit?  We try all sorts of stuff to deal with this high dynamic range...things like traditional HDR, HDR compositing, and even strobes.  In this situation, the only one that would have worked well would have been a flash, but that would have introduced yet another color temperature into the image...and while I am on color temps...

The orange color temps brought in by what appears to be late day or early morning sun are distracting.  I understand how they could happen.  The shaded areas are very blue while the areas where some of that magic-hour light filter through are orange.  The fact that there is just a little bit on the left of the image that has this light makes it looks like an accident.  It makes me wonder how it happened.  It's jarring.

Now I have thoroughly bashed your image, let me walk it back a bit. You have a composition with good potential.  You have been vexed by technical issues.  Most people get the opposite...they master the technical but never find a worthy subject.  Waterfalls are a bit cliched, but doing them well is hard.  If you can go back and reshoot, I think it would be worth the effort.  Try a strobe, try moving the focus point further into the image.  If this wasn't shot from a tripod, take one and use a slower aperture and shutter speed to get more depth of field.  Hope for a still day.  You have some sun filtering into the woods on this day.  Hope for an overcast or even rainy day.  Many people who shoot water like overcast days because the textures come through better and the lighting is more even. 

good luck.  you have a good eye.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 09:58:41 am »

I agree with the comments from Fike and especially about the green plants that Kikashi spoke about.  Did you take any more pictures of this location? Maybe a little closer to the waterfall?

Where is this waterfall?  I live down here in Oberschwabenland and have been trying to locate waterfalls to photograph.

Heizmann Media

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 10:32:32 am »

Not really better fotos :/. It's in Welzheim in Baden-Würrtemberg.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 10:54:10 am »

Not really better fotos :/. It's in Welzheim in Baden-Würrtemberg.

Thanks, it is about 184KM from my house according to Google Maps.  I am putting it on my list of places to visit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up