Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 570 MP Camera  (Read 2635 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
If your mind is attuned t

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Erik Kaffehr

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
Re: 570 MP Camera
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 10:15:27 am »

What kind of tripod?
I think only the ballhead is shown :
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Anders_HK

• andersloof.com
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:12:42 pm »

I think only the ballhead is shown :

Does not look too sturdy considering the very long tele lens used...  ;)

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:03:09 pm »

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670912/a-570-megapixel-camera-meant-to-unravel-dark-energys-mysteries#1

Mike.

Hi Mike, Do you remember lying on the curve of the earth as a young child, face buried in grasses and traveling bugs that seemed to have purpose in their places to go...? I remember wondering at that time wondering just what size they thought they were and how they fit into the scheme of things, just as I too wondered the same about myself and the larger world yet not understood...sailing off the edge of the sea was there...how will futures , or how does the "other" see...

I'm glad to have read this... Thanks
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 07:01:43 pm »

It's not really surprising that these announcements may create a reaction that can (as here, to an extent) be a less than impressed response.

I find that there's so much going on in the world we think we already know that, really, suggests to me that the more we think we know and understand, the opposite is the truth. I really don't see a need for looking outwith our own little world. It will make no difference at all if we discover more galaxies, new black holes, inverted black holes or anything else out there. Our life and problems lie here, and the rest is a distraction. It would please me more were we able to find a formula for peaceful cohabitation of this spaceship, Earth.

So much money thrown at these projects... but why? To divert attention from human/political problems? We have the Bomb, we can kill everyone in this tin can already, but still we find some of us seeking out ever more esoteric problems over which to fret and expound. But I suppose it's a living. What else to do with an overdeveloped mind?

;-)

Rob C 

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 08:23:04 pm »

Well Rob, I do recognize and acknowledge what it is you see when you look out  and through your life. We've all had different windows and even looking toward the same place through the same glass have it manifest differently. If I turn to walk away , then slip on ice, split my head and am extinguished I shall still be glad to have outlived the nine lives that curiosity would have allowed me had I arrived here as a cat. (and truth be known, you choose not to live in a darkened closet, latched and walled, or you would not have the cell with you to note things which catch your eye, or even have the comfort of the memories of an exquisite partner in earlier times. we choose how to breathe the remainders with what is at our hand)...(warmly and genuinely replied, p.)
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 04:37:42 am »

Well Rob, I do recognize and acknowledge what it is you see when you look out  and through your life. We've all had different windows and even looking toward the same place through the same glass have it manifest differently. If I turn to walk away , then slip on ice, split my head and am extinguished I shall still be glad to have outlived the nine lives that curiosity would have allowed me had I arrived here as a cat. (and truth be known, you choose not to live in a darkened closet, latched and walled, or you would not have the cell with you to note things which catch your eye, or even have the comfort of the memories of an exquisite partner in earlier times. we choose how to breathe the remainders with what is at our hand)...(warmly and genuinely replied, p.)

I'm also pleased that you didn't arrive as feline; there's little to back up the theory of the nine lives! We had, at one time, around twenty-three or so cats, all of them spawned from the two abandoned (by their mama) kittens that Ann and I watched being dumped by said wayward mother. It was a striking experience: she walked them along the perimeter of the garden, paused to look up at us on the terrace with out large alsabrador pooch, decided in an instant that we were harmless and soft touches, and then she was gone - alone.

From that pair of females sprang the rest. Our dog, a female, would lie on the terrace looking at the new arrivals in their cardboard wine box lair, uttering the occassional squeal of frustrated motherhood as she would move ever closer to them. The mother cats would ignore her. They certainly know where there is threat and where not!

But, there was a very heavy rate of attrition with kittens in the semi-wild; many didn’t make it to anywhere near maturity, most being felled by some form of cold or flu that stopped them being able to recognize the smell of food, and it would be distressing to see them starve to death, heaps of food available beside them. For those even younger, one could see that the mothers knew; they would cease trying to offer them milk. We even tried taking a couple to the mother’s teat but she just looked at us as if we were crazy.

Another thing that was relatively common with the very young was an eye problem: the eye would swell up like a grape and actually burst. So, be pleased you’re no cat!

Anyway, one good life, if you can get it, is worth a few poor ones. Personally, I rather believe that it doesn’t all end here on our deathbeds. I’m sure that everything around us is far too complex to have been the result of ‘accident’ or Big Bang; based on that, I also think that were it all to end in a box in the ground or in a furnace, it would have been absolutely meaningless and a waste of effort on behalf of whatever power created it all in the first place. Simply put, I think it’s all too good (life) to have been designed as a throwaway product.

At least, the thought comforts me.

;-)

Rob C

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 04:51:17 pm »

I can't help but wonder about the file size.

As for it's purpose it must be applauded for yet another instrument that will grant us further understanding of just how this universe works or, and just as likely, it could further reinforce the idea that we are not entitled to be privy to a full comprehension of what is laid out before us.

Mankind has progressed through to its present state of knowledge and technology through an incredible curiosity and this telescope is no more than a manifestation of that most human of traits. It may also be said that civilisations and empires have developed by the ever more efficient methods of war and the harnessing of people to the general purpose of conquest and acquisition.  Of these two attributes, greed or inquisitiveness,  I know which I would prefer my penny to be spent on.  
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 04:59:02 pm by Justinr »
Pages: [1]   Go Up