Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out of the Ashes  (Read 1522 times)

PDobson

Out of the Ashes
« on: October 08, 2012, 11:44:52 am »

I visited the aftermath of a recent forest fire yesterday evening. I'd never been to a burn so soon after the flames died (a couple of weeks). It's an eerie setting: everything is dead still and every footstep kicks up a little plume of ash.

Some things really caught my eye when first viewing the scene. Most of the trees were turned charcoal-black, but some where white with ash, a great contrast. The hill in the background had escaped the worst of the flames and the needles were still hanging on the branches, scorched to a bright orange that really picked up the evening light.

The strong vertical elements of the scene led me to try camera-blurring a few photos. I'm new to this technique, but I'm happy with how it worked out in this case.

Mile-19 Fire   -   Butte, Montana
Canon 20D with 70-200 F4L

Phillip

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
Re: Out of the Ashes
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:03:55 pm »

I think the camera blur works well. I love it.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 05:07:58 pm »

Without camera blur...nice photo

With camera blur...fantastic interpretive photo
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

PDobson

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 05:54:22 pm »

Those were my thoughts as well. The vertical blur emphasizes the shape of the trunks while downplaying distracting horizontal elements. The end result is a scene distilled down to its essence.

On a technical note, this is a great technique to keep in mind when the light starts to fade and you have no way of stabilizing the camera. I found that the best results came from panning quickly over a relatively long arc and timing the shutter when the scene gets in frame. This resulted in a smoother, more controlled blur.

Phillip
Pages: [1]   Go Up