Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd one  (Read 1964 times)

bdosserman

Odd one
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:16:27 am »

I was pretty sure there was something worth capturing here, but I'm not convinced I succeeded. I think this is the best interpretation I have so far (I don't normally try B&W conversions by default, and know nothing about proper technique, but in this case I felt the colors really weren't adding anything). What do you think of it?

Brian

John E

Re: Odd one
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 12:35:49 am »

Lovely subject, Brian, but I feel a boost in contrast would help immensely, as it looks a bit flat.

John

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 12:49:41 am »

Lovely subject, Brian, but I feel a boost in contrast would help immensely, as it looks a bit flat...

I tend to agree.

BTW - if you are using Lightroom to do your conversions then use the colour sliders and play around a bit - max them out one at a time and so how it affects tones in the B&W image. Just play, you lose nothing and you learn lots. It is possible to do exceptional B&W conversions using Lightroom.

Regards

Tony Jay

bdosserman

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 09:56:39 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. Is this better?

Re: LR, it's on my shopping list, but I haven't actually picked it up yet.

Brian

John E

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »

Well, it looks better to me, but how does it look to you? That's the only important question here.

John

IanBrowne

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 05:54:42 pm »

I was pretty sure there was something worth capturing here, but I'm not convinced I succeeded.

it's that frustrating, we can see a photo but we cannot isolate the scene into that photo. Should that be in out or this in or maybe that ............

I agree with "I was pretty sure there was something worth capturing here" and I agree with "but I'm not convinced I succeeded"

Maybe more of a close up of the decaying leaves would work better.  Crop off the bottom of the photo up to the top of the stem to see my thoughts. And then bump up the contrast a bit more. I always look for the little things that can be removed before the photo is taken or during PP. I'm referring to the bit of  stem to the RHS of the subject.

There maybe another crop available: from just above the stem of the bottom leaf up to the widest part of the two top leaves.

Now a question to the forum: is editing of posted photos allowed in this section or any sections? As they said a (edited) photo is worth a 1000 words and I can edit faster than I can type  :(   

bdosserman

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 11:43:15 pm »

John -- I think I prefer the second, but I'm still feeling my way around B&W (also color for that matter, but not to the same extent).

Ian -- thanks for the suggestions. I agree about that extraneous stem, but so far I haven't found a crop that makes me happier. I don't know whether or not editing images is allowed in the forum, but I've seen it done many times, and I certainly don't mind.  :)

Brian

IanBrowne

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 12:19:51 am »

just for ideas you to explore or to consider next time Brian

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:28:26 pm »

Hi Brian,

This is more like how I would have gone for the shot I think, but with more elbow room between the upper and lower leaves if you know what I mean.

Dave

bdosserman

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 11:07:43 pm »

Dave & Ian -- thanks for your interpretations; definitely food for thought. For the record, I did try shots from some other angles, but ran into problems with the background becoming too loud.

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up