Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I like clouds  (Read 2405 times)

IanBrowne

I like clouds
« on: October 06, 2012, 06:01:02 pm »

This area has a low rain fall of an average of 9 inches a year so storm clouds don't happen to often. However the past couple of years have been very wet and I was lucky enough to be at the right place to capture these.

All taken with the Canon G12 which I carry with me at all times in the truck. The last image would have been taken though the windscreen. As I'm not really interested in big photos for the wall these days I find the G12 is all I need most of the time. I would have not drama printing 30 inch photos from the panorama files.

I'm interested in your honest thoughts about these.

vazuw55

Re: I like clouds
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 07:32:14 pm »

All great, but I really like the first, very dramatic

fgorga

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:40:59 pm »

Ian,

All are very nice, but the first is my favorite.

With regard to the first image... I do find the small triangle of road in the lower left a bit distracting.

With regard to the third image... I might consider lightening up the foreground a bit. It seems a bit dark, at least for my taste.

--- Frank (www.gorga.org/blog)

P.S. Where is "here"?

Personal, noncommercial website... www.gorga.org/blog

IanBrowne

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 10:07:58 pm »

Thanks vazuw55

I do find the small triangle of road in the lower left a bit distracting.
--- Frank (www.gorga.org/blog)

P.S. Where is "here"?

I left the bit of road to show it was across 180 decrees ; but I can understand your thoughts. I will also fiddle with #3 to see what happens.

and here is here  A very isolate and arid part of the Australian Outback. Closest city (pop 30,000) is three hours to the south. Cobar; a small town is 4/5 hour to the east. Closest legally accessible water reservoir  is about an hour away at menindee lakes. And there isn't much in between any of those places mentioned. It's a long way west to anything and further up north!

Just for interest and long away off landscape photography; I drive these to and from [440 Kms return (130 kms is a dirt road)] a mineral sand mine. The road trains are about 40 meters long and weigh 113 tones loaded. Cruising speed is 90KPH. We work a 10 days on and 5 days off Roster. I'm back on tomorrow at 5 am to do two trips in about 12-14 hours. BTW there are much bigger road trains opperating in Australia

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:13:51 am »

Thanks vazuw55

The road trains are about 40 meters long and weigh 113 tones loaded. Cruising speed is 90KPH. ...BTW there are much bigger road trains opperating in Australia...

Yup, on a recent trip to the Northern Territory and Western Australia it wasn't unusual to see road trains over 50m long.
God alone knows what they weighed.

Regards

Tony Jay

riddell

• Pro photographer Hertfordshire
    • Commercial photographer London / Hertfordshire
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:12:14 am »

I wish we had less rain here in the UK. This year has rained so much, we've had 9" in just a day or two!

Paul
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

IanBrowne

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 07:47:44 pm »

Yup, on a recent trip to the Northern Territory and Western Australia it wasn't unusual to see road trains over 50m long.
God alone knows what they weighed.

Regards

Tony Jay

G'day Tony, i feel we have meet elsewhere on the photo forum circuit in Aust.

most 50 mtr road trains are not heavier. AB quads [two BDoubles) are 138 tons. I believe there is a 200 tonner in far north QLd but most "highway" roadtrains are well under 140 tons. Still a lot of wheel borrow loads lol.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 07:56:10 pm by IanBrowne »

IanBrowne

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 07:55:32 pm »

I wish we had less rain here in the UK. This year has rained so much, we've had 9" in just a day or two!

Paul
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Aaaaahh; but that's when some of the best photos are available; although 9" in a day or so would keep most sensible  people indoors.

In Australia the best landscape photos are taken in the winter months but most of us thinks it's too cold and bleak  :(

I had a link or two for inspirational wet weather photography but I cannot find them at  the moment. If they surfaces I will post them into this thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up