Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How about heritage lenses from Minolta for the new Sony A99?  (Read 12560 times)

Codger

How about heritage lenses from Minolta for the new Sony A99?
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:04:42 pm »

Since that's the lineage it would seem some of those Minolta lenses would be compatible, but how would they "work" with the new electronics? Manual, only?  Auto Focus functionality?  Any recommendations?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: How about heritage lenses from Minolta for the new Sony A99?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 01:17:36 am »

Hi,

Minolta AF lenses work on high end Sony bodies. Electronics is no issue.

Minolta MD lenses will not fit and would not focus at infinity.

Optical quality may vary.

http://kurtmunger.com/lens_reviews_id21.html

Best regards
Erik

Since that's the lineage it would seem some of those Minolta lenses would be compatible, but how would they "work" with the new electronics? Manual, only?  Auto Focus functionality?  Any recommendations?
Erik Kaffehr

Codger

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:13:13 am »

Erik, thanks for the Sony-compatible lens reviews information.  Lots of good content there.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:15:37 am by Codger »

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 06:09:07 pm »

The only potential down side to the excellent Minolta A mount legacy lenses is that it remains to be seen if any of them will be supported by the hybrid autofocus system in the a99.  Certainly they should focus OK, like the other Sony and Zeiss lenses that are also "not currently supported" by the new hybrid system.  And interesting note here in a press release and description from PhotoclubAlfa about supported lenses for the new AF system: 

"For the first time ever, the 19-point AF system with 11 cross sensors is complemented by a multi-point focal plane phase-detection AF sensor. With no less than 102 AF points, this additional AF sensor overlays the main image sensor. Harnessing the power of Translucent Mirror Technology, this unique Dual AF System permits ultra-fast, accurate autofocusing that maintains tracking focus even if the subject leaves the 19-point AF frame.

The α99 also debuts an advanced new AF-D continuous autofocus mode that’s supremely effective with moving subjects. The 19-point AF system provides reliable depth focusing information. It’s complemented by the 102-point multi-point focal plane phase-detection AF sensor that copes effortlessly with subjects traversing the focal plane.

From launch, new AF-D mode is supported by the SAL2470Z, SAL2875, SAL50F14, SAL300F28G2, SAL70400G and SAL500F4G lenses. More lenses will be supported via future firmware updates."

This makes me wonder if older lenses will ever be suported, making their relative value, less.

Rand Scott Adams

kirktuck

• http://www.kirktuck.com
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 02:04:37 pm »

Sony's manuals suggest that you NOT use the electronic first shutter curtain with older Minolta/Konica lenses as it may result in uneven or banded images. Also, I think I read that you should choose normal versus fast for AF (it's in the menu) when using "screwdriver" lenses as the lower torque results in better focusing accuracy.  I've been using a 24-86 Minolta AF lens as a beater and it seems to function well on both the a77 and the a57.

whiteheat

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 12:47:10 am »

The only potential down side to the excellent Minolta A mount legacy lenses is that it remains to be seen if any of them will be supported by the hybrid autofocus system in the a99.  Certainly they should focus OK, like the other Sony and Zeiss lenses that are also "not currently supported" by the new hybrid system.  And interesting note here in a press release and description from PhotoclubAlfa about supported lenses for the new AF system: 

"For the first time ever, the 19-point AF system with 11 cross sensors is complemented by a multi-point focal plane phase-detection AF sensor. With no less than 102 AF points, this additional AF sensor overlays the main image sensor. Harnessing the power of Translucent Mirror Technology, this unique Dual AF System permits ultra-fast, accurate autofocusing that maintains tracking focus even if the subject leaves the 19-point AF frame.

The α99 also debuts an advanced new AF-D continuous autofocus mode that’s supremely effective with moving subjects. The 19-point AF system provides reliable depth focusing information. It’s complemented by the 102-point multi-point focal plane phase-detection AF sensor that copes effortlessly with subjects traversing the focal plane.

From launch, new AF-D mode is supported by the SAL2470Z, SAL2875, SAL50F14, SAL300F28G2, SAL70400G and SAL500F4G lenses. More lenses will be supported via future firmware updates."

This makes me wonder if older lenses will ever be suported, making their relative value, less.

Hi Rand47

This is not the case.  The point about AF-D is to make focusing on certain SSM lenses (and probably all SSM lenses) faster, not make focusing on existing non-SSM lenses slower.  If anything, legacy glass may focus faster because of the upgraded AF system regardless of the specific AF-D feature.  The value of legacy glass should not be affected by just this feature alone.
Nothing is as it first appears.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 12:54:14 am »

Hi,

The electronic first shutter responds very fast and needs a fast aperture mechanism to close the aperture in time.

I upgraded to new lenses on my Sony, presently I use a Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6, Sony 24-70/2.8, Sony 16-80/3.5-4.5 and 70-400/4.0-5.6 mostly. The reason I upgraded is more related to weight and sharpness than incompatibility with older lenses. The Alpha 77 is pretty demanding on lenses.

Best regards
Erik

Sony's manuals suggest that you NOT use the electronic first shutter curtain with older Minolta/Konica lenses as it may result in uneven or banded images. Also, I think I read that you should choose normal versus fast for AF (it's in the menu) when using "screwdriver" lenses as the lower torque results in better focusing accuracy.  I've been using a 24-86 Minolta AF lens as a beater and it seems to function well on both the a77 and the a57.
Erik Kaffehr

whiteheat

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 06:46:41 am »

What most people fail to realise is that you could have the fastest AF module that will ever be produced, but it would count for nought in the greater scheme of things. You see, an AF system is just that, a system, which is composed of various sub-systems of which the AF module is just one. The other major component would be the lens control and focus drive mechanism. I believe the AF-D system requires the lens to be capable of reacting and focusing fast enough and accurate enough to keep up with the A99's focusing system. Hence, the in-lens control electronics and the motor drive mechanism needs to be upgraded so that the results of an ultra fast and accurate focusing system can be translated in to real and tangible results, as opposed to theorectical on paper results. It may be the case that legacy glass may perform a little faster but it won't be anything to write home about. In any event, legacy glass won't be any slower, but I don't think - and this complete speculation, that Sony will add legacy glass to the list of AF-D useable lenses precisely because they don't have the electronics or motor drive mechanism (SSM) necessary to take advantage of AF-D speed and accuracy. Legacy glass can't react and move any faster than it already can/does. That's my theory until proven otherwise.
Nothing is as it first appears.
Pages: [1]   Go Up