Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 4.2 upgrade disaster  (Read 6710 times)

donbga

LR 4.2 upgrade disaster
« on: October 04, 2012, 10:14:52 pm »

Last night I upgraded to LR 4.2.

This evening when I started my PC (Windows 7 Pro) the OS failed to start properly forcing me to eventually perform a System Restore. I chose the Restore Point prior to upgrading to LR 4.2.

The Restore worked and I was able to start the OS and login into my desktop. Now when I start LR 4.1 it fails to recognize my catalog. I receive a dialog with the message, 'Unexpected error opening catalog.' If I try to open a backup catalog I get the same message.

Light Room never really starts, but rather just gets stuck in a loop asking me to select a catalog or create a catalog (which it does not do either.)

I'm not sure what my options are at this point. Should I uninstall and start over?

Anyone have any suggestions?

RFPhotography

Re: LR 4.2 upgrade disaster
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:31:14 pm »

Have you tried opening directly from the catalogue by double-clicking it?

donbga

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 10:44:39 pm »

Have you tried opening directly from the catalogue by double-clicking it?

Well Bob,

I tried that and I now get a message indicating the LR 4.1 needs to be installed. Oy Vey! So it seems like LR 4.1 got wacked by the LR 4.2 installer and the System Restore wasn't able to restore LR 4.1 properly.

Don

aduke

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:06:41 am »

Have you tried reloading LR4.2? You can download it from the website if necessary.

Alan

stamper

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:33:59 am »

My first attempt at downloading resulted in a part download and the second was successful. Is it possible you have launched a part download and not all of the package has installed?

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 12:31:17 pm »

Sounds like something got corrupted in the upgrade process.  I'd uninstall whatever you have for LR now, reinstall 4.1 then re-download and upgrade to 4.2.

donbga

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 11:03:47 pm »

All is good now. I uninstalled 4.1, downloaded 4.2, installed and everything seems okay now. But what a pain in the ass.

Thanks all,

Don

SangRaal

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 11:14:44 am »

It's good that you resolved your issue but I am not so sure that you had to back track as far as you did. I had a similar issue(same OS) on either the beta of 4.0 or the install of actual 4.0; although my OS was not corrupted only Light Room and especially my catalogs converting from 3 to 4. Light Room over writes it self so I only had to reinstall LR. In doing an internal post mortem I discovered that (I forget who was the culprit) either Windows or Norton began a download / install while I was doing the LR download instal.

donbga

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 12:01:47 pm »

It's good that you resolved your issue but I am not so sure that you had to back track as far as you did.

Well I'm sure that I did have to do what I described.

Why?

1) The OS would not boot without error.
2) Once that problem was resolved with a System Restore LR 4.1 would not start AT ALL without weird errors being reported.
3) After uninstalling LR 4.1 and installing LR 4.2 all LR issues were resolved.
4) As a side note I did perform a Registry Clean after uninstalling LR 4.1 and prior to installing LR 4.2 and created a new restore point prior to installing LR 4.2.

The moral of the story for Windoz users is to ALWAYS create a Restore Point before installing new software.

Don

jamadophoto

• J Amado Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 02:09:02 am »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 11:24:01 am »

Well Bob,

I tried that and I now get a message indicating the LR 4.1 needs to be installed. Oy Vey! So it seems like LR 4.1 got wacked by the LR 4.2 installer and the System Restore wasn't able to restore LR 4.1 properly.

Don

Which, if you think about it - makes perfect sense:

1) you installed LR 4.2 and opened the catalog, converting it
2) you have a system issue, and restore to a pre-4.2 state
3) attempting to open the catalog results in a confusing error message - LR is now a mix of registered and unregistered components, I'm not suprised you would get a 4.1 specific message.

You probably didn't need to uninstall 4.1, but no harm done, the key is re-installing 4.2, allowing you to open the catalog....

Btw - The Lightroom installer does set a system checkpoint.....
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 11:32:07 am by John.Murray »

donbga

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »

You probably didn't need to uninstall 4.1, but no harm done, the key is re-installing 4.2, allowing you to open the catalog....

Btw - The Lightroom installer does set a system checkpoint.....

Yes I did need to uninstall LR 4.1 ... you guys don't seem to be reading my post clearly. And yes LR installer does create a Restore Point (not a check point) but the better part of valor is to create a Restore Point.

Don

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 07:54:50 pm »

There is actually no difference between a system restore and check point starting with Windows Vista, other than semantics; a checkpoint is created automatically on a schedule, a restore point is initiated either by a software installation, or windows update.  The mechanism is precisely the same

did you try installing LR 4.2 before resorting to un-installing 4.1?  Just curious, in any case glad you got it resolved.....

donbga

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 08:59:27 pm »

There is actually no difference between a system restore and check point starting with Windows Vista, other than semantics; a checkpoint is created automatically on a schedule, a restore point is initiated either by a software installation, or windows update.  The mechanism is precisely the same

The possible types of restore points are: system checkpoints, which are scheduled restore points that your computer creates; manual restore points, which the user creates; and installation restore points, which are automatically created when you install certain programs.

did you try installing LR 4.2 before resorting to un-installing 4.1?  Just curious, in any case glad you got it resolved.....

No.

Don

Pages: [1]   Go Up