Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: request  (Read 1958 times)

Patricia Sheley

request
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:30:47 pm »

Your initial reaction to this small bit ...it would be helpful to me . This is in a small group being created for the linking to echoes. I won't say more so that if you wish to comment you are not else wise troubled with a bias other than that point. Thank you if you get a chance. Much appreciated.
A common woman~

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: request
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:32:20 pm »

I immediately read it as the reflection of a tree or trees in a still pond.  The tree is vivid.  The filtering effect of the water seems familiar and is not distracting.  Eventually the strong and simple composition starts to look like a hollow head shot to me.  I sort of like it, but my Mother doesn't. 

Bruce

WalterEG

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 04:57:09 pm »

I sense that there is every possibility that as a very large print this may sing but it is hard to truly tell at 72 dpi sRGB on the internet.

You have clearly identified an intriguing motif and contended with the difficulties it has presented with skill and sure-footedness.

Cheers,

Walter
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 05:20:05 pm by WalterEG »

nemo295

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:00:20 pm »

My initial reaction is that it's much too dark.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:18:05 pm »

I think I would like to see this in color. I find I am having a bit of difficulty in discerning between the OOF foreground and how it relates directly to the reflection. I feel color might assist in making the differeniation.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »

I love the ambiguity and sense of mystery -- like an echo.
I would not want it either lighter or in color as it would then lose the mystery.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 05:59:37 pm »

I think I would like to see this in color. I find I am having a bit of difficulty in discerning between the OOF foreground and how it relates directly to the reflection. I feel color might assist in making the differeniation.
[/quote

Chris,
I am shooting for this group in darkness or rain or fog, generally desaturating conditions intentionally. I have however attached the original opened up 1.7 and uncropped so that you could see how little color is there ( see foliage on right and deeper into main tree. I am shooting color but attempting to work from a relativeley unsaturated capture by nature. ) Many say they believe they dream in BW but mine are a rather funky color balance...that is pretty much how I am seeing as I shoot and then returning to BW (RGB) as I work back to that place in my mind...way too much information I know ...hope this helps.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:03:22 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »

Interesting lack of natural color. I only have had one dream where I am absolutely positive it was in color - technicolor. It has been a recurring dream I've had since I was a wee lad. Weird, I guess.

I am going to think about this a little longer before I comment further. There is something about it which holds the attention, but I am not sure it has a name.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

degrub

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:23:38 pm »

Through a looking glass darkly ?
Reminds me of a crossing of the Styx.
Nice effect with the viper in the center.

Frank

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 08:37:59 pm »

This really captures me in it.  I don't think I would touch a thing personally. After studying it for some time I get lost between the OOF areas and the trees. It's daydreaming by the river and I'm 14 again.

Well done IMHO.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 10:52:02 pm »

I very much appreciate the input. I hesitate to ask these favors, as am not posting often myself. The wonderful mix of vision on this forum though is valued and I trust your openess in commenting. This particular image is among a group of ten under consideration to accompany 17 lines of prose attempting to reconcile the almost empty calm washed in a vague sense of restlessness that lingered long after awakening from a dream.

I thought I had the image I was after until I spent several hours working my way around this one location because something there was taking me to the same place. I then came in with my  water spotted images and this was the one that kept me working back and forth through the surfaces trying not to have any of them overwhelm the other, but continue to speak what they each had to say over the other...working this one was an almost compelling pleasure, trying to find which curtain to lift , which to light and which to allow to disappear.

But then I had the "green flash" that it was only my dream informing my self critique. Hence my request for help and independent reaction.

I try not to speak out too often as I know you prefer to hear critique from those who put their own self out there as a measure of where the noise is originating, but I do hope you know how much I value the relationships here. Thank you all for taking the time...

... and Walter, surefootedness really for me is stumbling around in the dark over and over carefully trying to find the path I just know was there when I set out in the light...I find it eventually it again by the feel of the stones as I go. Thank you for the kind thought.

...and Eric...mystery?... right on the head...as indeed I am, even to myself. I keep hoping that the mystery of it all is confirmation I may not actually have died yet...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:55:30 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up