Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Please with Lightroom catalogue  (Read 2046 times)

rothberg

Help Please with Lightroom catalogue
« on: October 03, 2012, 11:22:28 am »

I have purchased a new computer and, by necessity, installed the old hard drives into it but they now have different drive letters (yes this is a Windows 7 system).

The old drive D which contains all of my pictures is now drive G.

My last remaining problem is that the Lightroom catalogue from my old system opens on the new computer and I can see the thumbnails for all 56K of my pictures.  All of them have little question marks in the upper right.  If I right click I get a locate dialogue box and I can locate that picture.  It is hard to believe that I have to repeat that for all 56K of my pictures.

Is there a technique to get Lightroom to find all of my folders and subfolders without reimporting everything?

Thank you in advance!

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: Help Please with Lightroom catalogue
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:47:26 am »

Just right click the top folder and choose Update Folder Location

lfeagan

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:47:19 pm »

Just to make sure it is clear, you need to update the location of the folder that contains all your folders with images. For example, my folders containing images are date codes (YYYY-MM-DD). To update the top-level folder when I change between drives, I first right-click on one of the sub-folders and choose "Show Parent Folder". This reveals the parent folder so that I can then right-click on the parent folder to update its location. Normally I operate with the parent folder hidden.
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4

RFPhotography

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »

You could also reassign the drive letter.  Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Disk Management.  Right click in the drive name  you want to change (the letter, not Disk 1, Disk 2, etc.) and select Change Drive Letter and Path.  Click Change and Assign the Following Drive Letter should be ticked by default.  Change the drive letter in the dropdown menu to the right.

rothberg

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:59:07 pm »

Thank you both for your prompt replies however perhaps I have not explained the situation exactly:

Under the heading catalog/all photographs there is a number 53,380

Under the heading Folders there is now a Drive G and under that a folder, Photography, and under that a folder 2012,
G has 4 pictures,
Photography 4
and 2012 3

the 4 pictures showed up because I right clicked on those images and located them.
Not sure what to do next

RFPhotography

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:01:04 pm »

Do the same with the rest of the image folders.  Right click on the foldee and locate it.  Haven't had to do it in a long time so don't recall if you can do it on the parent folder only or if you have to do it on each subfolder too.

rothberg

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 06:35:23 am »

Thank you all

I simply renamed drive G to drive D and everything is happy in my little corner of the universe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up