Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Digital Negative Book  (Read 30264 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: The Digital Negative Book
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2012, 06:29:09 pm »

OK, the bandwidth limit issue is fixed...so it's back up–nice to know my IPS answers emails on a Sunday–thanks Sam!

stormyboy

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2012, 11:50:07 pm »

http://www.amazon.com/The-Digital-Negative-Processing-Lightroom/dp/0321839579/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350877265&sr=8-1&keywords=schewe+digital+negative

Hey, what's up with the strange message on Amazon?

"Item Under Review
While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible."

By the way, the book is excellent!  And, thank you for making the files available.

Schewe

« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2012, 02:09:57 am »

Hey, what's up with the strange message on Amazon?

I have no friggin' idea.and I've fired off an email complaining about this...

It's bullshyte...from the first weekend, Amazon has screwed the pooch by under-ordering, then stating the delivery would be 1-2 days then stating 1-2 weeks...then finally having the book in stock and now stating the book is an "Item Under Review"...

The whole Amazon experience on this book has sucked, big time...and some heads may roll before the next book comes out...

Sorry folks...this is above my pay-grade and ain't my fault. But I will try to get to the bottom of it....and squeeze somebody's balls.

It purely pisses me off (and you really don't wanna piss me off, ya know?).

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2012, 03:48:08 am »

I have no friggin' idea.and I've fired off an email complaining about this...

It's bullshyte...from the first weekend, Amazon has screwed the pooch by under-ordering, then stating the delivery would be 1-2 days then stating 1-2 weeks...then finally having the book in stock and now stating the book is an "Item Under Review"...

The whole Amazon experience on this book has sucked, big time...and some heads may roll before the next book comes out...

Sorry folks...this is above my pay-grade and ain't my fault. But I will try to get to the bottom of it....and squeeze somebody's balls.

It purely pisses me off (and you really don't wanna piss me off, ya know?).

Jeff, FYI, there is no such message on Amazon.de here in Germany.  It is business as usual.

Schewe

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2012, 04:02:42 am »

Jeff, FYI, there is no such message on Amazon.de here in Germany.  It is business as usual.

thanks for the info...I guess it's Amazon USA that is screwed up...figures...

athegn

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2012, 04:42:39 am »

Jeff

Check in Amazon.co.uk

All ok there.

Tony Jay

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2012, 06:03:31 am »

Sadly, 'The Digital Negative' has become a victim of its own success.
On the plus side it is possible that both Peachpit and Amazon may both be a little better prepared for when things go nuts with the release of Jeff's next book on printing.

We are all pulling for you Jeff!

Tony Jay

Schewe

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2012, 01:28:34 pm »

Thanks Tony...

I have talked with the publisher and found this: it seems Amazon, which has 18 different distribution points in the US, will put up that Item Under Review for just about any customer service issue. So, if somebody got a book that was damaged in shipment, called customer service, the book (or any Amazon item) can be tagged with the Item Under Review and the Buy button removed. It can take 24 hrs or longer to get the Buy button back up.

Between under ordering and selling out, further problems with availability and now the Item Under Review, Amazon isn't doing too swell for this book.

So, if you want the book here in the US, may I suggest another vender such as Peachpit directly (for print and ebooks) or Barnes & Noble (for print and Nook versions).

francois

« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2012, 05:44:56 am »

Sadly, 'The Digital Negative' has become a victim of its own success.
On the plus side it is possible that both Peachpit and Amazon may both be a little better prepared for when things go nuts with the release of Jeff's next book on printing.

We are all pulling for you Jeff!

Tony Jay

Pre-ordered the book from Amazon USA a long time ago. It landed at my doorstep, in Switzerland, about a couple of weeks ago.
It's a very solid book with plenty of useful info, easy to follow.
Francois

David Good

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2012, 05:48:01 am »

Congratulations Jeff on the creation of yet another masterpiece. Your insight into the procedures involved in massaging a raw file in both LR/ACR and PS is invaluable. I was especially delighted by your explanations on the new process (2012) as it relates to tone-mapping and on the behavior of the adjustment brushes and their interaction with the adjustments made in the Develop module.
You made my head hurt once again.....thanks!

Dave

P.S. ordered through Chapters on-line in Canada and received it several days later.

feethea

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2012, 11:40:47 am »

FWIW Jeff I have nothing but praise for the book. It was waiting for me when I got home this morning and having read the first chapter I really appreciate the writing style (akin to your style on the LuLa videos) - I would prefer to call it refreshingly 'robust' rather than, as you put it in the Introduction, "my tone can be a bit, uh,verbally aggressive".

Congratulations on a fine piece of work as it leaves me looking forward to your next solo publishing venture - The Print??

Barry

Schewe

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2012, 08:55:47 pm »

I would prefer to call it refreshingly 'robust' rather than, as you put it in the Introduction, "my tone can be a bit, uh,verbally aggressive".

I actually got that moniker here on LuLa...it seems sometimes people don't like my refreshingly 'robust' approach to posting here. Although I would say in the last year or so, I've actually been very well behaved! Chris even mentioned it when we were shooting with Eric Chan in June. Maybe I should "stir things up" around here?

Sigi

• http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2012, 05:16:11 am »

Hello,

received the book a few days ago and can only confirm all the positive remarks from above. I have a slight problem though. I downloaded some sample pictures and wanted to open them in CS4 but it does not work. I get a "Photoshop does not recognize this type of file" message.

Thank you for your help

Sigi
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:18:21 pm by Sigi »

Schewe

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2012, 04:11:08 pm »

I have a slight problem though. I downloaded some sample pictures and wanted to open them in CS4 but it does not work. I get a "Photoshop does not recognize this type of file" message.

Correct...the example files are Lossey DNG files that are compatible with Lightroom 4 and Camera Raw 7...sorry.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2012, 04:58:50 pm »

Just checking in again to say thank you once more for an illuminating and enjoyable tutorial on "having fun" . The fact that you use so many sub optimal captures, but proceeded forward with them,  playing, has been etremely educational for me.  The  back and forth with global balanced by local just somehow engrained itself as I worked through the second time, and was amazed to discover how much it opened my tonal and optimizing thinking. This book is full of gems. The things I "kinda" had a feeling about became understandable and workable, and cross referencing with Martin's LR4 book just put the icing on the cake.  I don't know...maybe my mind was just ready to understand things with new clarity, but the delivery system, Jeff, is just what the doctor ordered. Thank you for this book. The only other way I can express this, is that with the H Springer, I just did....everything felt natural and riding through storms produced no fear...just adventure....that is what your book has done for my progress in processing, and by extension the things I am seeing as I shoot. Good on ya!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:35:38 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~

mikev1

« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2012, 08:07:27 pm »

Jeff, unbeknownst to you I've always considered you in the same vein as  that crazy uncle that only comes over at Christmas and says all the wrong things in front of my new girlfriend.  I got a kick out of you acknowledging your aggressive posting style a few posts back. Just like my mom who keeps inviting him back, I can see why Michael tolerates your occasional, shall we say, provocative posts here.

All that being said, I've learned a ton from your book.  Bravo.

I'll disagree with you here in the future at my own peril.

buhfie

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2012, 10:09:02 am »

Hi Jeff, I also enjoyed your book a lot especially processing the examples. Where it gets difficult is the detail section though. I think the examples do not have the same resolution as the ones you worked with. This is understandable but maybe you could provide small crops for the detail section?

cheers
Michael

Schewe

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2012, 03:14:21 pm »

Where it gets difficult is the detail section though. I think the examples do not have the same resolution as the ones you worked with.

The Detail (sharpening and noise reduction) examples have not yet been posted yet...soon :~)

buhfie

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2012, 02:58:18 am »

Correct, I was referring to the cover image which is partly about sharpening. Anyway, further example data is always welcome  :).

cheers
Michael

James Orr

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2012, 01:32:53 am »

I'm coming into this thread a bit late.  I've been watching the LuLa Lightroom 4 tutorials and think they're excellent.  They're exactly what I didn't need to be doing during exams the other week (first year law student)  ;D 

What are some of the differences between the book and the tutorial? 

My biggest area of interest is using Lightroom artistically.  I feel like I have a grip on the basics of what the controls in the develop panel do, but I always feel like I'm surfing over to 500px and wondering how the heck these people are getting such wild color, or looking at before and afters at places like MCP Actions which sell Lightroom presets, and don't really understand what I'm seeing well enough to recreate some of the looks myself. 

I'm going to order it regardless, but those are things I'm particularly interested in.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up