Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Digital Negative Book  (Read 30236 times)

thebatman

The Digital Negative Book
« on: October 03, 2012, 09:29:01 am »

Just a quick note to say congratulations to Jeff on the launch of The Digital Negative Book!  As of this morning on Amazon it looks like it is #1 in multiple categories: Digital Photography, Adobe Photoshop, and Digital Image Processing, with a 1-3 week backorder time.

Thankfully I got my order in before the original stock ran out :)  Looking forward to a great read.

-Ken

Rick Popham

• http://
Re: The Digital Negative Book
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 03:23:05 pm »

I'm on the back order list and looking forward to reading it.  I've found Jeff's books to be a good blend of enjoyable reading and great information.

In the FAQ on the book's website Jeff mentions a studio still life project he wants to work on.  I'd love to see a book about that whole process, and I hope Jeff is thinking about that.

David S

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 03:35:42 pm »

Just arrived from Amazon (Canada) and initial look is very positive.

Looks great.

Dave S

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 03:52:09 pm »

I got my hands on the Kindle version on Monday and read it cover to cover on a flight back to Australia from London. An excellent read, I'm no slouch on the digital imaging front myself and always enjoy reading a book with some new insights. I enjoyed some of the info about now LR came into being and the glimpses into the working of Adobe were very interesting.

Jeff has achieved what he set out to do and that's to not write another LR book but summarise and illuminate the entire workflow.

Highly recommended.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:32 pm »

+1

Jeff knows what he is writing about and he knows how to write, also, I'm pretty sure he ad a couple of good advisors.

Best regards
Erik

Jeff has achieved what he set out to do and that's to not write another LR book but summarise and illuminate the entire workflow.

Highly recommended.
Erik Kaffehr

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:02:55 pm »

Nick and all...thanks for the kind words. It was a lot of work!

Erik, for this book, I really didn't have any advisers. My normal go to guy Erich Chan was slammed with work. He helped answer a few technical questions and got me the DNG Flat Field plug-in so I could include it in the book. But this time around (as compared to taking over Bruce's books or working with Martin Evening on our book), the book is entirely my fault :~)

I actually had a couple of people say I shouldn't put in the history of ACR & LR because they thought nobody would care. But I did it to put a more human face on the engineers and give the background on why they were developed. It's cool here at LuLa because Eric hangs out here (and agreed to do the videos with Mike and me) but most customers of Adobe just see Adobe as this big company and don't realize this stuff comes from a relatively few talented and hard working engineers.

mvsoske

• Mark V'Soske Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 06:39:43 pm »

Jeff:  I'm jumping on the kudos bandwagon.  I purchased the Kindle version a few days ago and find the book an education and very helpful in understanding the technology.  No, my head didn't turn to mush in the first chapters.  Looking forward to the Digital Print.  I truly enjoy how the "magic" of technology is being explained and becomeing more transparent more and more.  The more we understand what's behind the curtin, the more creative we can become with the tools.

Thanks!

Mark

Beerfueled

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 09:49:25 pm »

When I ordered my copy a couple of days ago, not only was the book #1 in the categories mentioned above, but it had actually broken into the top 100 overall in all books (number 96, I believe). Not too bad, I'd say. I have the LR4 videos, And I'm looking forward to reading the book as well. Congratulations, Jeff.

-larry

Colorado David

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:24:21 pm »

I just got an email from Amazon saying I'll be getting the book in two weeks now rather than the three weeks they originally quoted.

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:57:43 am »

I am a little past half finished with my kindle edition. I have enjoyed reading it very much so far.  The book's companion website adds a lot to the book.  I have enjoyed looking at the downloadable dng files in Lightroom 4 and being able to "look over Jeff's shoulder" by studying what he adjusted in each panel and what change the adjustment made to the image.  Being able to do this actually adds a very personal touch to the book.  Well done!!!!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 01:39:49 am »

Hi Jeff,

Even more impressed!

What I got to add that that I admire the clarity of your writing! I also enjoy your explanation of ETTR.

Best regards
Erik

Erik, for this book, I really didn't have any advisers. My normal go to guy Erich Chan was slammed with work. He helped answer a few technical questions and got me the DNG Flat Field plug-in so I could include it in the book. But this time around (as compared to taking over Bruce's books or working with Martin Evening on our book), the book is entirely my fault :~

Erik Kaffehr

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 02:42:50 am »

What I got to add that that I admire the clarity of your writing! I also enjoy your explanation of ETTR.

Many thanks...I'm gratified you think that! I work pretty hard to keep thing concise but throw in some spice as well :-)

Unfortunately some wing nut named Johnny B Goode seems to think I'm a very bad writer & said so in an Amazon review...course he called Mr. Shewe so I'm not too sure about his reading comprehension...I mean, my name is spelled correctly on the cover of the book :-)

Might be useful if some other folks who DO like the writing post some additional reviews. I would hate for Johnny B to have the last word...

mac_paolo

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 03:56:20 am »

Unfortunately some wing nut named Johnny B Goode seems to think I'm a very bad writer & said so in an Amazon review...course he called Mr. Shewe so I'm not too sure about his reading comprehension...I mean, my name is spelled correctly on the cover of the book :-)

Might be useful if some other folks who DO like the writing post some additional reviews. I would hate for Johnny B to have the last word...
Whether I agree with that Mr. Goode or not about your writing style, I don't think it's that elegant to slate an argued negative review and call for positive comments on LuLa.
3/5 stars is a reasonable review. Doesn't smell like a troll.
As explained in the other thread, I honestly learnt very little from the book having watched almost all the LuLa videos and having studied on my own, so my review would not be a positive (nor negative) one. Would you criticize me too in that case?

Live and let live, comments will come by themselves. As a photo, a book should stand on its own.
Leave all the pseudonym issue for the sociologists, at least he has not been insulted with his real name, here.

Peace :)

thebatman

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 06:42:30 am »

Let's keep it on the positive.  I for one have absolutely no problem with Jeff coming on here and mentioning the review: it's great the he and Eric Chan are on LuLa in the first place, and I love the fact that it's the same type of conversation you would have over a beer on the deck - honest and genuine.  Plus, it's completely normal to promote one's work ("if you like this podcast please rate us on itunes...").  Although Jeff no doubt loves the subject matter, he ain't doing stuff like this for his health, and it sucks to see an inarticulate bad review out there in the early days.  Clearly among the target audience (e.g., people on this forum), the reaction is very positive.  If we want more content like what Jeff and Michael produce, I am all for supporting it. 

And Jeff, just remember: Illegitimi non carborundum :)  I know I'll have my positive review up by this weekend, I just have to get my hands on the dang book.  I bet very soon the reviews will be 20-1 in favor.

stamper

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 08:52:19 am »

As explained in the other thread, I honestly learnt very little from the book having watched almost all the LuLa videos and having studied on my own, so my review would not be a positive (nor negative) one. Would you criticize me too in that case?

Unquote

In a word ...yes. You should have tried to think about the videos and the book separately which means you could have given the book a thumbs up....or down? A lot of book readers won't have bought the videos. Someone who considers themselves knowledgeable will get diminishing returns from further education. 

mac_paolo

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 10:08:56 am »

Let's keep it on the positive.  I for one have absolutely no problem with Jeff coming on here and mentioning the review: it's great the he and Eric Chan are on LuLa in the first place, and I love the fact that it's the same type of conversation you would have over a beer on the deck - honest and genuine.  Plus, it's completely normal to promote one's work ("if you like this podcast please rate us on itunes...").  Although Jeff no doubt loves the subject matter, he ain't doing stuff like this for his health, and it sucks to see an inarticulate bad review out there in the early days.  Clearly among the target audience (e.g., people on this forum), the reaction is very positive.  If we want more content like what Jeff and Michael produce, I am all for supporting it. 

And Jeff, just remember: Illegitimi non carborundum :)  I know I'll have my positive review up by this weekend, I just have to get my hands on the dang book.  I bet very soon the reviews will be 20-1 in favor.

Batman, you're really missing the point I expressed.
It's fine to spread to the world about books we write or read, lot's of authors do that.
It's good to have people like Jeff here (believe me, I told him more than once in private) because we all owe them a lot. Eric wasn't mentioned here.
It's great all the content that Michael and Jeff (and Chris) produce, and I bought the most of it, making me a supporter as well.

It's absolutely not what I wrote.

My focus was on the insult of that specific "neutral" (really can't read it as negative and it's 3/5, not 1/5) review. Here we say: "Never speak about the absents".
I then add the need to respect the reviews. The user paid for the book and expressed his thoughts. I find less than elegant for the author to write on a +1mln-monthly-accesses forum a post like that. That's it.

In time the average rating will settle on a high level, with few negative comments, as the book deserves. No need to call for reinforcements where there's no battle.
Let's just respect the freedom of speech and go on with life.

mac_paolo

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 10:15:59 am »

Unquote

In a word ...yes. You should have tried to think about the videos and the book separately which means you could have given the book a thumbs up....or down? A lot of book readers won't have bought the videos. Someone who considers themselves knowledgeable will get diminishing returns from further education. 
So any book should have thumbs up because you'll always find a "newbier". Come on.
A five stars books will settle on four and half stars even if 2% of the readers didn't find it to be particularly useful.
It's math average in it's easiest form, the one which is used by any shop since decades.

stamper

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 10:24:23 am »

What I was driving at was your view was skewed by the fact that you had viewed the videos. As to "newbier" the only reference I could find was

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=newbier

And I am sure that isn't what you meant?

mac_paolo

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 10:26:22 am »

As to "newbier" the only reference I could find was

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=newbier

And I am sure that isn't what you meant?
It is. I was going to write newbie-er as "more newbie than a newbie" and that was the only form that satisfied my english ignorance :D

stamper

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 10:27:34 am »

Whether I agree with that Mr. Goode or not about your writing style, I don't think it's that elegant to slate an argued negative review and call for positive comments on LuLa.
3/5 stars is a reasonable review. Doesn't smell like a troll.

Live and let live, comments will come by themselves. As a photo, a book should stand on its own.
Leave all the pseudonym issue for the sociologists, at least he has not been insulted with his real name, here.

Peace :)

I see Jeff's post as an attempt at humour but he can enlighten us on that post? :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up