Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Digital Negative Book  (Read 30227 times)

Tony Jay

Re: The Digital Negative Book
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2012, 09:05:28 pm »

I am still waiting for my copy of 'The Digital Negative' from Amazon.
When Jeff's book on printing gets published that will also be a compulsory acquisition.

I have NO doubt that the combination will quickly gain true classic status and become mandatory reading for anyone interested in modern digital imaging and printing.
I have full confidence that Jeff will produce a book that will be technically complete with true insight into the process but also inspirational from an artistic perspective (no pressure Jeff).

My $0.02 worth

Tony Jay

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2012, 09:50:59 pm »

I have full confidence that Jeff will produce a book that will be technically complete with true insight into the process but also inspirational from an artistic perspective (no pressure Jeff).

Naw...no pressure :~)

(ask me again at the beginning of Feb 2013 when the manuscript is due)

Tony Jay

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2012, 10:15:47 pm »

If its any consolation Jeff I have got my pom-poms and short skirt out - on second thoughts perhaps it's best not to dwell on that sort of mental image...

Regards

Tony Jay

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2012, 07:32:46 am »

Got mine Friday.  So far, excellent.  And Jeff I too am glad you kept the history stuff in there.  This feels like a story, not just a reference book. Ooh-ooh:  Dare I say a pager turner?!

Did I just chimp?

Dave

Schewe

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2012, 03:01:53 pm »

Did I just chimp?

Nope, that's a 2/3 chimp.

For a full chimp ya gotta go ooh, ooh, ooh.

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2012, 06:14:06 am »

I ordered mine on the publication date, Amazon had some left in stock. They use some FedEx & US Postal service combination. I have been following the tracking, the Dolts at Federal Excuse sent my package to Maine. I live in NH...sigh.
Why anyone uses FedEx is beyond my comprehension.(I have had nothing but trouble with FedEx) so I wait for them to sort it out.

Sorry Jeff, no 5 star review from me this week  ;)
Warren

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2012, 04:12:57 pm »

Just got my copy from Barnes & Noble. I am sure it is a fine book, content-wise, but I immediately noticed a glaring omission: there are no white-cotton gloves included! Or a bar of soap, at least. I mean, given the nature of the book, it i going to be read and re-read, used and re-used, and the predominantly white cover is not going to stay so for long. And don't get me started on the rest of the cover design (btw, I know it is not Jeff's).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 05:06:13 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Schewe

« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2012, 04:31:53 pm »

there are no white-cotton gloves included! Or a bar of soap, at least. I mean, given the nature of the book, it i going to be read and re-read, used and re-sued, and the predominantly white cover is not going to stay so for long.
[/quote]

You need to buy a backup copy of the book...maybe two copies.

:~)

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2012, 04:43:36 pm »

there are no white-cotton gloves included! Or a bar of soap, at least. I mean, given the nature of the book, it i going to be read and re-read, used and re-sued, and the predominantly white cover is not going to stay so for long.

You need to buy a backup copy of the book...maybe two copies.

:~)

That is so perfect, can't claim "great minds", but actually examined the paper and binding method this morning on mine as it has been pressed open in various places for a week now. Thought occurred that charts on pg 256 and 257 should have included the link to a backup copy of Digital Negative at the Image Archive /output link .
A common woman~

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2012, 07:18:05 pm »

Slobodan,

How can you call yourself a photographer if you don't already own a pair of white cotton gloves?

I have white cotton gloves. I also have a bar of soap, so I'm a Photographer!   :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Ligament

« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2012, 12:10:02 am »

Jeff, I got my book today. Looks great.

Can you comment on the accuracy of the photo printing in the book? Are they printed to your satisfaction for teaching purposes?

Schewe

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2012, 12:54:44 pm »

Can you comment on the accuracy of the photo printing in the book?

Are you asking if I think the CMYK reproduction in the book is good? Yes, for every copy I've seen.

Of course, a glitch can happen in a print run. If you have a book that is messed up in some way, you can get an exchange through Peachpit.

On the book's web site in the FAQs I mention how I do the RGB > CMYK conversions. I'll also cover it in the next book.

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2012, 04:57:13 pm »

My copy came Friday, I spent much of today reading it. Well done I thought. As others have said, much of what is in the book is covered on the Lula videos, however if you do not have the Lula videos....

There are some sections that I find very useful, the B&W section, something I am currently exploring. Since my Photoshop skills are basic I found that section to be of particular interest to me as well. I have yet to get a firm grasp on masks & layers, it's coming slowly & this book is going to help some.
The seal episode was worth the price of the book. Not that I wish any harm come to Jeff or anyone else, It was just a surprise I did not expect as I have not heard the story before.

I am looking forward to the print book

Warren
Warren

John Camp

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2012, 07:56:31 pm »

Got my copy a couple of days ago and I have been working through it, slowly, in the evenings. It's good, and it's written well, too. When I ordered mine, Amazon said that it would be a while; then a couple of days later, I got a notification that it was on the way, so they must've gotten a new shipment...

Schewe

« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2012, 11:35:02 pm »

John,

Thanks for the kind words...yeah the Amazon deal is still weird. Sales outstripped Amazon inventory–which surprised Peachpit a lot. My editor and marketing people are still trying to figure out what happened but I tried to explain the "Power of LuLa"...I guess they don't understand :~)

Tony Jay

« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2012, 08:10:27 am »

Got my copy today - its a goody.
Congratulations Jeff!

aduke

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2012, 08:16:09 pm »

I got mine last week and am about 2/3 through the first reading. It will obviously take at least one more on much of the material.

It is a fine book, the writing is very clear.

Congratulations, Jeff. I hope you keep writing.

Alan

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2012, 09:55:14 pm »

What I have found to be a really instructive exercise: develop Jeff's images myself, then compare to his final product.  Very humbling!  But so valuable!  I see what I was not seeing and not appreciating in the image, as well as pp technique.

I have just begun doing this, so have many more to do.  What a boon!  Thanks, Jeff, for making your images available.

P.S.  I really hope you come up with a way to provide full resolution images for sharpening demonstration.  Perhaps just small but meaningful pieces of images?

Schewe

« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2012, 11:57:44 pm »

P.S.  I really hope you come up with a way to provide full resolution images for sharpening demonstration.  Perhaps just small but meaningful pieces of images?

I'm reluctant to post the image of Roxy...but I'm testing saving out a small crop similar to the main crop of the Bryce image as a tiff and open back into LR4 and export as a DNG. I'm thinking as long as I turn off any sharpening or noise reduction and apply the the Detail panel, it prolly won't matter too much that the DNG is based on the tiff instead of the raw file...we'll see. I will be uploading the chapel image I used to show the noise reduction in chapter 3.

I'm glad you guys like the downsampled DNGs...it works really well as a vehicle for showing the tone/color adjustments. It's just tough when dealing with sharpening to not have the full resolution.

I will be uploading some images from chapter 5 as well. They will be downsampled psd files with layers intact. I'm also going to upload the progressive sharpening and midtone contrast steps as actions...so, more to come :~)

Schewe

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2012, 05:59:17 pm »

Just a quick ping to let readers that TheDigitalNegativeBook.com site is currently popping a bandwidth exceeded message when trying to get to the site...I'm working on it, but today is Sunday so I'm not sure when I will be in contact with my ISP...I'll report back when I hear something. In the meantime, sorry for the inconvenience :~(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up