Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Digital Negative Book  (Read 30270 times)

RobbieV

• My work.
Re: The Digital Negative Book
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 12:05:43 pm »

With all do respect towards Mac-Paulo, I think you need to relax a bit. Since you've seen many LuLa videos, you'd think you'd have a firm grasp on the tone of voice Jeff uses in his writing and speaking.

This is an Internet forum. Although this is one of the better forums with many respectable members that act as great resources of artistic and technical information, it's still just an Internet forum. He's not pandering for positive reviews in a sleazy way, he humourously mentioned a negative review where his name wasn't even spelled correctly (perhaps connected to the credibility of said reviewer). It was most likely tongue-in-cheek like many of Jeff's quips. That's all I'll say about that.

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. I really enjoy Jeff's writing style.

mac_paolo

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 12:14:57 pm »

With all do respect towards Mac-Paulo, I think you need to relax a bit. Since you've seen many LuLa videos, you'd think you'd have a firm grasp on the tone of voice Jeff uses in his writing and speaking.
You mispelled my name as well to remain on theme?  :D
I'm very relaxed BTW. Reading & writing relaxed as usual. Thanks anyway. :)

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 01:18:19 pm »

::)

Good catch. No excuses can be made for it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 01:25:00 pm by RobbieV »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 01:30:01 pm »

Whether I agree with that Mr. Goode or not about your writing style, I don't think it's that elegant to slate an argued negative review and call for positive comments on LuLa.

First off, it's a 2 star not 3 star bud...

Second, I was responding to Erik's appreciation of the writing style and pointing out the irony that some wing nut doesn't like my writing and posted a review...I know I'm a good writer...I worked really hard at finding my voice for this book. I'm really quite good at explaining the innards of Lightroom and Camera Raw. So obviously, I disagree with Johnny B. But truth be told, what really pissed me off was he couldn't spell my friggin' name right–even though it's on the copy of the friggin' cover.

The screen name he/she/it is using actually kinda rings a bell. I suspect (but don't know for a fact) it may be somebody whose tender sensibilities I've offended in some forum post over the years. It struck me as a bit more personal that a legit review of my writing...

I know the book is good...I worked really hard at developing the idea and concepts for the last 4 years or so. Some of that thinking I contributed to Camera to Print & Screen when Mike and I reshot the original.

I'm sorry you don't see the differences nor have gotten more out of the book....have you been to the book's web site? Have you downloaded any of the sample DNGs and followed along in the book how I arrived at the final result?

I think you are getting confused... to quote Marshall McLuhan, The medium is the message. If you don't get that, I think you are missing a lot.

As for whether or not I should mention a bad review here and ask people who honestly seem to like the book to go post their thoughts. I'm not trolling for glowing reviews, only asking for people who really like the book to say so...you are welcome to post your review as well.

mac_paolo

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 01:59:05 pm »

First off, it's a 2 star not 3 star bud...
Gosh! Who knows why I read 3 stars and instead it's 2. Ok, no big deal.

I'm sorry you don't see the differences nor have gotten more out of the book....have you been to the book's web site? Have you downloaded any of the sample DNGs and followed along in the book how I arrived at the final result?

I think you are getting confused... to quote Marshall McLuhan, The medium is the message. If you don't get that, I think you are missing a lot.

As for whether or not I should mention a bad review here and ask people who honestly seem to like the book to go post their thoughts. I'm not trolling for glowing reviews, only asking for people who really like the book to say so...you are welcome to post your review as well.
Look, nobody ever told your book didn't took a lot of effort. Hey, about 7 centuries ago someone born not far from where I'm writing you now, and wrote La Divina Commedia.
Writing is a massive work. I know it and I'm an avid reader. You're not the first nor the last to work night and day on a book. My congratulations for this.

I understand you're feelings and I'm the first to feel pissed when someone misspell my name ("Paulo" is the most frequent, then "Pablo). As a forum member I may pretend to get mad of it and reply with irony but you're a respected photographer/author/tech guru. Elegance/tolerance should come first IMHO, especially when replying on the biggest store ever or on the most respected photography forum.

Having said that, honestly, I even downloaded a few of the DNG samples you put on the website, sure. Tweaked them a bit without following the step by step (which I mentally did while reading the book).
To tell the truth I expected something different, maybe something starting from the LuLa video geek-point and going further.
I mean, those picture by picture tutorials are really good and exceptionally detailed, but nothing more than what I do almost daily. Most of it thanks to LuLa videos and various articles read here and there.

Don't know what you're thinking I'm missing. I know for sure I expected a different product. My fault. That's it.
So now I'm really looking forward to the next book about Print, hoping to have some epiphany. :)

Regards,
Paolo

Schewe

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 02:08:52 pm »

Elegance/tolerance should come first IMHO, especially when replying on the biggest store ever or on the most respected photography forum.

That's you bud...that ain't me.

You keep trying to alter my behavior...and that simply will never happen. I am who/what I am and "tolerance" is not a characteristic of my being. Oh, and I'm not very "elegant" either.

Are you SURE you've watch me in the videos?

:~)

mac_paolo

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 02:11:21 pm »

That's you bud...that ain't me.

You keep trying to alter my behavior...and that simply will never happen. I am who/what I am and "tolerance" is not a characteristic of my being. Oh, and I'm not very "elegant" either.

Are you SURE you've watch me in the videos?

;D I did and enjoyed it.
Haven't had the pleasure to meet you in person but I kinda made an idea of your persona. :)
That's why I wrote "should" and not "have to".  ::)

photodan

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 02:16:03 pm »

I purchased the book from Amazon (USA) when it first came out, and I've read it - everything but the purely Photoshop material. I use only Lightroom and found the book to be tremendously useful and to be well written.  I just submitted a review on Amazon under the title "Must-Have Book for Processing Raw Files" (using a different pseudonym than my userid here). The review will probably appear on Amazon in a couple of days. 

This book is a rare 'keeper' for me.  Kudos to Mr. Schewe.

Dan

Schewe

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 02:24:46 pm »

Dan,

Thanks...I appreciate it and it seems Amazon has already posted your review!

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 03:09:52 pm »

You have a sterling 5 star review average on amazon.de here in Germany.  Of course, there is only one review at the moment.  ;D

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 08:54:57 pm »

Hi Jeff,

As  I am obviously impressed by your book I will probably write a review on Amazon when back from my business trip.

Regarding the ground covered, I think it is a decent mix. Obviously, much of he stuff has been covered in several other books by yourself and the late Bruce Fraser and in the LuLa videos. Obviously you could dig in somr things in more detail, but the balance is generally good. What I appreciate is the clarity of your writing and that your presentation is free of some common BS. I have not found anything you have written I would object to.

The correctness, at least as I perceive it, of text made me believe that it was written in cooperation by Eric Chan, but I have been informed that was not the case. I am impressed by your book and look forward to new chapters of the Reichman & Schewe show, which I consider the best form of entertainment.

Best regards
Erik

Many thanks...I'm gratified you think that! I work pretty hard to keep thing concise but throw in some spice as well :-)

Unfortunately some wing nut named Johnny B Goode seems to think I'm a very bad writer & said so in an Amazon review...course he called Mr. Shewe so I'm not too sure about his reading comprehension...I mean, my name is spelled correctly on the cover of the book :-)

Might be useful if some other folks who DO like the writing post some additional reviews. I would hate for Johnny B to have the last word...
Erik Kaffehr

Schewe

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 11:49:45 pm »

The correctness, at least as I perceive it, of text made me believe that it was written in cooperation by Eric Chan, but I have been informed that was not the case.

Well, if by cooperation you mean I learned about what I wrote about from Eric, that's true but a lot of that happened last year when I was working on extremely early versions of ACR7/LR4 in a pre-beta capacity. Eric does send me work (and a couple of others) as it is in progress and asks for feedback. So to that extent, I guess I'm involved in the development...and there are a couple of places I specifically got Eric's permission to quote him-in particular for the motives for creating the PV 2012. But that side bar actually came from an email Eric sent I believe, to Martin Evening and myself.

However, from the time I started writing in April till when the book was submitted, I only had a couple of brief questions I asked Eric about a few of the more technical aspects and of course, the whole DNG Flat Field plug-in stuff. Eric was otherwise engaged (working on ACR 7.1 & LR 4.1).

That's not to say I haven't learned a lot from Eric (thanks Eric)...but I've not ONLY learned from Eric.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 03:46:42 am »

Congrats on the release Jeff!

Cheers,
Bernard

stamper

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 04:27:09 am »

Jeff is it true that the content of the book is really Michael's and you were in reality the ghost writer? He advertised it because he is getting 95% of the royalties. And he gets most of the loot and you get the flak from nit picking buyers. ;) ;D

Schewe

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2012, 04:41:04 am »

Jeff is it true that the content of the book is really Michael's and you were in reality the ghost writer? He advertised it because he is getting 95% of the royalties. And he gets most of the loot and you get the flak from nit picking buyers. ;) ;D

Yeah, sure...that's the full and complete truth–not!

As I said before, The Digital Negative is completely my fault. No blame should be attributed to Michael or the LuLa community...if you wanna blame anybody, blame me.

stamper

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2012, 05:10:54 am »

Very little to blame. ;D

AFairley

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2012, 12:10:09 pm »

Kudos to Jeff.  Step by step examples are invaluable.  Unlike the typical "cover everything" PS/LR book, this focuses on the stuff I actually will use.  I definitely have been getting lazy with PP since process 2012 was released (easy to move a couple sliders and it's "good enough").  I think the book will be a bracing corrective.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:24:41 pm by AFairley »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2012, 12:38:03 pm »

I'm definitely getting a copy. But I'll wait until I've seen it before writing my 5-star review.  ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 07:53:08 am »

I've had my copy for a couple of weeks but just sat down to begin reading it last night.  Right away I found the great 'money' quote (in discussing bracketing of exposures in the film days and in particular 8x10 transparencies), "...I charged clients by the sheet, so if I shot more film, I made more money."  I guess this was one good thing about the good old days! :D

jed best

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2012, 08:46:17 pm »

It is a 5 star book in my humble opinion. Even an experienced user of Lightroom will find some pearls in the book. If you add Seth and Jamie's book on workflow then you have the basis of the definitive text of all of Lightroom. If you want further reference, then add Martin Evening's book. Can't wait for Jeff's book on printing. This is my 2 cents, anyway.

Jed
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up