Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Asheville, NC  (Read 3168 times)

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
Asheville, NC
« on: October 01, 2012, 02:50:04 pm »

I will be going to the Asheville, NC area for the first time. I will be there for 3 days mid October. Any recommendations?
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

mattpallante

Re: Asheville, NC
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 04:35:39 pm »

Walt, the Blue Ridge Parkway runs through east Asheville. A beautiful drive with nice scenery and lots of pulloffs. Get out at first light.

Matt

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 05:13:42 pm »

Max Patch -- I think it's a state park -- is about 30 minutes from Asheville by car, and worth a visit.  It's a mountaintop that was turned into pasture, and is now simply grass covered.  Terrific vistas, and spatially interesting.  Easy access by car; 1/4 mi (?) uphill walk.  (If my weekend back-ups finish, I'll post a snapshot.)

The mountains around Asheville are extremely photogenic.  +1 on the BRP, but it's hard to go wrong.  Get a GPS for the car, and try every road that climbs.  If you do drive the BRP from Asheville, I suggest northeast rather than southwest, unless you are planning a full day out there.

West Asheville is a small neighborhood that has an interesting urban, vaguely alternative, street scene.

There are some interesting industrial/railroad/river views along the French Broad River.  Access (and parking) at either Carrier Park or French Broad River Park.

Have a meal at 12 Bones.  Casual and delicious.   :)

« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 05:47:53 pm by KirbyKrieger »

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 09:24:33 am »

Thanks Matt, BRP is on the list. First light is a priority.

Kirby, nice shots. Will check out Max Patch.  And especially thanks for the 12 bones recommendation.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c
Pages: [1]   Go Up