Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frivolous D800E use  (Read 4484 times)

bdosserman

Frivolous D800E use
« on: September 30, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »

So, here I am with a D800E and very little opportunity to use it (I've mainly been taking macro shots in my backyard, which is keeping me amused for the moment). However, I've noticed something kind of perverse: it's a fantastic camera for e.g. family snapshots. For instance, the extended DR means that the sort of harsh mixed sun/shade outdoor lighting that comes out looking awful on my older and smaller-sensor cameras comes out looking amazingly nice with the D800E.

Not sure to what extent the same effect could have been achieved with photoshop on my old cameras, but I was never able to manage it. It's making me rethink what constitutes workable lighting, and also what constitutes productive use of the camera. Have others had a similar experience with it?

Brian

Akro

• Randolph Henson Photography
Re: Frivolous D800E use
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 08:34:00 pm »

I wouldn't call that a frivolous use!  Twenty years from now that image may mean more to you than the more serious images captured with the D800E.

I didn't purchase my Canon 5D Mk III to take snapshots of the grandchildren, but I find that it does a wonderful job of it!

bdosserman

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 09:02:53 pm »

I wouldn't call that a frivolous use!  Twenty years from now that image may mean more to you than the more serious images captured with the D800E.

I didn't purchase my Canon 5D Mk III to take snapshots of the grandchildren, but I find that it does a wonderful job of it!

Just to clarify, it's not that I don't value the family photos, it's that I figured that not needing the almost 40 megapixels, it would be kind of silly to take the shots with the D800E rather than eg my GH2, which is what I had been mostly using. But the DR (and superior autofocus and high ISO) is making me reconsider.

Brian

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 09:40:51 pm »

However, I've noticed something kind of perverse: it's a fantastic camera for e.g. family snapshots. For instance, the extended DR means that the sort of harsh mixed sun/shade outdoor lighting that comes out looking awful on my older and smaller-sensor cameras comes out looking amazingly nice with the D800E.

Yep, the D800/D800E can be used as the ultimate point-and-shoot camera, among other reasons thanks to the way they did implement auto ISO.  ;)

Unless you really want to, it is pretty difficult to miss a shot with one.

Cheers,
Bernard

Akro

• Randolph Henson Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:53:02 pm »

Didn't mean to suggest that you don't value the family photos.  My point is - if you have a great camera like the D800, why not use it for family snapshots?

I have a number of other, less capable cameras I could use to take snapshots of the grandchildren, but I have been really happy with the snapshots I have been getting with the 5D Mk III.  I can set it on "auto everything" and get great shots.  I bought the camera for tripod mounted landscapes shots (live view focusing, mirror lockup, electronic cable release - you know the drill) but I didn't realize how much fun I would have using it as a $3,500 point and shoot!

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 11:06:42 pm »

Yeah, if size and weight is not a factor, why not use your best camera for snapshots?

allegretto

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 09:52:04 am »

Ha!

I know all you Pros will laugh at me but my D4 gets the most use in just such situations. I wanted a camera that will take spontaneous (I avoided the use of the word "candid" here since I didn't want any of you spitting your coffee on the keyboard at the notion of the D4 as a candid camera) images without flash in almost any situation

Does a damn good job!

Good on ya. The kids will have some great pics that you took. It really is an amazing camera. Much better for this situation than my S2 ever was. Alas it lacks a bit of the built-in pop of the S2, but that's what post is for...

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 10:59:07 pm »

For instance, the extended DR means that the sort of harsh mixed sun/shade outdoor lighting that comes out looking awful on my older and smaller-sensor cameras comes out looking amazingly nice with the D800E.

Brian

I do it all the time. In Lightroom, pull down highlights, increase shadows, reduce contrast, and increase clarity. I get a film negative look that has not been possible on any of my previous cameras. 

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 10:23:25 am »

Since when has shooting family portraits been 'frivolous'? Does anyone remember Slobadon's wonderful portrait of his father?

I've got lots of landscape shots that I really like, but if I was only able to save a fraction of my photos, it's the family portraits that I'd grab first.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 10:35:40 am »

.... I get a film negative look that has not been possible on any of my previous cameras. 
Dynamic range was the last problem of the digital image.
From here i think we can say digital photography is better in every aspect.
It is impressive how much information is in the D800e NEF. But then it is about 50MB
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Derry

• http://
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 06:04:30 pm »

my 800E has already seen its share of family and grandkids to continue the build of photos for the grandkids to enjoy some day,,

I love every one of those 36mps and use every one on every photo,,

hopefully Nikon will not bring out the D1000Aa with 65mp for a few years so I can have close to a 100k on this body before any lust starts in again,,

Derry

Pages: [1]   Go Up