Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Digital Negative (book)?  (Read 37167 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: The Digital Negative (book)?
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2012, 11:27:25 pm »

Reread my message...

The answer is on the book's website....

Natvander

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2012, 05:27:27 am »

Order placed for both Jeff's and Seth's books.  Martin's book will have to wait for Christmas.  Amazon actually had a reasonable shipping rate to Australia.  I've paid big bucks for shipping before from Amazon.

donbga

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2012, 10:13:43 am »

Reread my message...

The answer is on the book's website....

Okay got it. Thanks.

Don

SangRaal

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2012, 11:34:52 am »

Excellent Book; that I have already skimmed while on the porcelin throne, to be read in detail later. Rather than complain about "fog" processing I want to thank Jeff for the information I shoot Ski Racing almost every weekend of the winter fog and flat light are major issues(worst is bright sun on top ground fog coming off wet man made snow from the bottom up because it is so inconsistent). My issues with this book are two fold no pic of the author or biography (at least in my volume) I was hoping for a pic of Jeff in one of his famous shirts and plaid shorts on his bike. My second issue is not with the book but with Barnes and Noble; I saw the original blurb on this site the day it was put up, as I was on my way out to buy 4 gallons of $8 & 5 gallons of $12 gas (for my bikes) and passed the local mortar and brick Barnes and Noble. I stopped to buy the book and some other items never looked at my bill( imust have been foggy from the fumes)just swiped the CC. $54; buy your copy online from amazon or barnes and Noble for $26 and change.

bns

• Boudewijn Swanenburg Photography
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2012, 11:28:08 am »

Hi Jeff,

My first post on LuLa. I am sort of a Lightroom addict after studying Marten Evening's book and following the LuLa LR4 tutorial (as well as C2P). Now I am at chapter 4 of your book and I want to let you know how wonderful it is to have the image examples available at sufficient resolution to really experience the subtleties of the impact of every editting step. Thanks a lot for making these available and thanks a lot for your book.

I still have one question though. Where can I download your tallent? At my age (70) I may not have the time to pick it all up by myself.

Cheers,
Boudewijn Swanenburg

Schewe

« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2012, 01:02:22 pm »

I still have one question though. Where can I download your tallent? At my age (70) I may not have the time to pick it all up by myself.

Ask my wife...she'll be happy to sell you part of my brain. It's the getting it out and back in that's kinda messy...

Thanks for the kind words...

Evanford

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2012, 02:57:55 pm »

Just ordered my copy of this book plus Real World Sharpening 2nd edition from Barnes and Noble.  Can't wait to give them a read!

- Evan

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2012, 05:29:39 pm »

I feel foolish asking this question.   I cannot seem to be able to locate how to turn on a point curve or channel curve.   I have no 'custom' option in the point curve drop down menu, just Linear, medium, and strong contrast options.   I see no channel drop down menu either.   Page 82 and 158. 

Ctrl Click does not set a point on the curve.   I'm stuck.
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »

Adam,

You may not be in point curve mode.  To do that, click the little point curve icon in the lower right as shown here.

Adam L

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2012, 06:57:33 pm »

I've clicked that and it opens up the four sliders.  What I can't do is set a point or locate the channel curves.   

aduke

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2012, 07:14:03 pm »

If you are on the Tone Curve palette and there are no sliders, you are at the Point Curve. When you hover your mouse over the control at the bottom-right, it will indicate either "click to edit point curve" or "click to stop editing the point curve." If  you see the former, click on the control, if the latter, start editing the curve.

Alan

Adam L

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 07:29:18 pm »

I don't think I'm explaining myself clearly.   I am able to use the tone curve panel as a parametric curve editor.  I can't seem to use it as a point curve editor.   At the bottom of page 81:

"To place very fine point curves, you can click the curve to add a point.  This adds a locking point that con modify the Bezier curve behavior of adjoining points."

Nope.  I can't add a point.  I can't lock the curve at a certain place.  See the top of page 82, third panel: "A complex curve with many points placed for accuracy."  I can't create a tone curve that looks like that and I have no drop down to show me RGB Channels.

LR 4.2.

donbga

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2012, 07:44:10 pm »

I don't think I'm explaining myself clearly.   I am able to use the tone curve panel as a parametric curve editor.  I can't seem to use it as a point curve editor.   At the bottom of page 81:

"To place very fine point curves, you can click the curve to add a point.  This adds a locking point that con modify the Bezier curve behavior of adjoining points."

Nope.  I can't add a point.  I can't lock the curve at a certain place.  See the top of page 82, third panel: "A complex curve with many points placed for accuracy."  I can't create a tone curve that looks like that and I have no drop down to show me RGB Channels.

LR 4.2.

Something ain't right!

Don

eliedinur

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2012, 07:55:00 pm »

The symbol in the upper left corner of the panel (circle with a triangle above and a triangle below) is the Targeted  Adjustment Tool. With the TAT on you add a point by clicking in the image, with the TAT off you click directly on the curve editor.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2012, 08:29:39 pm »

Adam,

If you click Point Curve while in Point Curve mode and select medium or strong contrast are points added to the tone curve?  If not, then you likely have some kind of software issue.

Mark
LR 4.1

Schewe

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2012, 12:31:27 am »

I don't think I'm explaining myself clearly.   I am able to use the tone curve panel as a parametric curve editor.  I can't seem to use it as a point curve editor.

Re-read what Mark wrote and look at his screenshot...you are not in the Point Curve Editor...switching between Parametric and Point Curve is pretty basic. It's that little curve icon in Mark's screenshot. It's on the lower left of the Curves panel...it's a button to switch modes.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2012, 05:16:45 pm »

It's on the lower left of the Curves panel...it's a button to switch modes.

Lower right?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Adam L

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2012, 05:28:34 pm »

Thanks all.  I finally got it to work.   It was user error.   ::)

Jeff, this book is fantastic.  I think you've added plenty of new material that's not in the LR4 video.   I'm up to chapter four now, moving into the channel color section.   ;D  I just love how you're showing us best practices and how to move past a photojournalistic approach for Camera Raw/LR to one where personal creativity plays a critical role in image development and developing a personal style.  I'm taking my time with this book.    

And your Lula video with Eric Chan was icing on the cake.  I hope we can see and hear more of him.

Schewe

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2012, 06:03:45 pm »

Lower right?

Uh, yeah...that's what I meant...lower right...

:~)

David Good

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2012, 06:04:38 am »

Order placed for a physical copy, anticipating an informative read as usual.

Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up