Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Digital Negative (book)?  (Read 37157 times)

BBrandonScott

Re: The Digital Negative (book)?
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 07:23:19 pm »

I have used Lightroom since v1 and have used the LuLu videos since v2.  I also have the Camera to Print. All of these are excellent.  I pre-ordered Digital Negative some time ago on Amazon and received my copy last week and read it this past weekend.  It is a triumph!  It really goes well with the videos.  It is more than the videos, re-enforces them well.  Schewe has really done it! 
My take away from the book is to really consider how I want to process the digital negative so that it best represents my vision, not just what will pass.  Thanks Jeff for pushing me!
Now, when can I pre-order the book on the print.   

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2012, 08:37:25 pm »

... But I'm promised more books are already being shipped to Amazon so hopefully they'll be available in a few days (and not the 1-3 weeks listed on the Amazon site)....

Found that Barnes & Noble online still has supply.  Interesting that their local stores carry it for full retail and will not meet their online price, so ordered online; shipped today.  I assume your royalty is the same either way, Jeff :)  [B&N choking their own brick & mortar?]

Rand47

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2012, 11:17:03 pm »

The BIG RIVER delivered mine today.  Thanks Jeff.
Rand Scott Adams

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 03:22:10 am »

Now, when can I pre-order the book on the print.   

The Digital Print is due out April 2013...sorry, I can only work on one book at a time :~)

For those of you who have the The Digital Neg book (in paper or ebook) have you guys gone to the book's web site?

www.TheDigitalNegativeBook.com

The site will have a lot of other stuff in the future but I've uploaded 10 images from Chapter 4 already (more to come) and two errata posts...

I'm still adding content day by day–it'll take a while to get fully populated so check out the site on a weekly basis–it's not designed to be an every day sort of place.

Tony Jay

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 03:48:16 am »

I am still waiting for my copy from Amazon however I have been to the site to nose around.
No doubt once I get my copy of the book the site will go from being merely interesting to very useful.

Regards

Tony Jay

stamper

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2012, 09:58:37 am »

For anyone living in the UK I got my copy from

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/?utm_source=NL-Header&utm_medium=email-Newsletter&utm_term=Book-Depository_Logo&utm_content=Header-links&utm_campaign=Newsletter-September-11

about £4 cheaper with free delivery. I obviously don't know about how much stock it holds. So far read about 80 pages and I am impressed. One query I have is it states to use the Basic develop first. However if you use the lens correction later on in the workflow then the shadows will lighten because there is a vignetting lightening process taking place. Shouldn't this be used before the Basic develop? Or do they act independently of each other because the adjustments aren't applied till the end. One other thing. Is anyone disappointed because there isn't any Kelby style humour in the book? I certainly am not and the odd bit of humour fits nicely.

aebolzan

• agustinbolzan
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 11:38:57 am »

You are welcome...

But I'm promised more books are already being shipped to Amazon so hopefully they'll be available in a few days (and not the 1-3 weeks listed on the Amazon site).

I'm also told amazon.ca and UK should be getting shipments soon as well.

I have ordered my copy in Amazon yesterday and they said that it will delivered by November 8th......hope they get more copies and deliver it before that date....by the way....following your comments I ordered also the book of Seth Resnick.....

Agustin

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 05:58:28 pm »

I have the book on my iPad ...

I searched for a digital version of Jeff's book, but could not find it. Can someone please provide a link? I would have thought there'd be an 'adobe ditigal edition' available.

I ask because reading on a computer/tablet is more practical for me due to health reasons.
Thanks in advance.

AFairley

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2012, 06:02:25 pm »

I searched for a digital version of Jeff's book, but could not find it. Can someone please provide a link? I would have thought there'd be an 'adobe ditigal edition' available.

I ask because reading on a computer/tablet is more practical for me due to health reasons.
Thanks in advance.

Amazon Kindle editon, I believe.  There is a Kindle app for the iPad, BTW.

Schewe

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »

Amazon only sells the Kindle version but Peachipt sells an EPUB and PDF version which works well on an iPad. See this link.

It's also available from iTunes as well.

AFairley

« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04:51 pm »

Amazon only sells the Kindle version but Peachipt sells an EPUB and PDF version which works well on an iPad. See this link.

Thanks, Jeff, EPUB is my preferred format.

werner from aurora

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 09:23:46 pm »

After reading a few pages on the 'look inside' section I ordered the book from Amazon.ca. Should be here by Nov. 2. I have hundreds of e-books, but some I just NEED in hard copy. This is one!

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 05:27:42 am »

See this link.

Thanks, I bought your book at peachpit. Looking forward to reading it!

stamper

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 09:20:45 am »

I have read the book, although not in depth. Obviously I will need to read it again. The section about processing starting with page 134 has examples of different scenes that has been processed. The image taken from a plane and the iceberg weren't - imo - the best examples to use because most photographers won't be able to shoot such scenes. The processing done to them could possibly be explained a little better though in all honestly this is a difficult thing to do unless Jeff wanted to add a lot more pages and expense. David Duchemin tackled the same theme in

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vision-Voice-Refining-Photoshop-Lightroom/dp/0321670094/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1349356454&sr=8-5

for version 3. I have bought a lot of books on PS and LR and the videos and overall this is a worthy book that is worth buying. 4.5 out of 5 though lacking a bit of detail in the processing of images which as stated is difficult to do. :)

Wil

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 12:29:54 pm »

I have the Kindle version.  Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't have the password for me to use to download the files.  Is there any way for me to get the password?

Wil

mac_paolo

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 12:41:56 pm »

I have the Kindle version.  Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't have the password for me to use to download the files.  Is there any way for me to get the password?

Wil
On the blog there's the hint on where to find the password.
Having bought the Kindle version as well, go on... the password is there :)

Schewe

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 01:36:52 pm »

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't have the password for me to use to download the files.  Is there any way for me to get the password?

From the book's web site: You can find the password in The DIGITAL NEGATIVE on page 42 of Chapter 2 Adobe Raw Image Processing: An Overview. In Figure 2.2, I show a screenshot of one of the initial versions of an application from the fall of 2002 that was a precursor to Lightroom. The name of that application is the password to view the Example Image posts. Note: the password is case sensitive!

Obviously the ebook version will not have the same page numbers as the printed book...but look for Figure 2.2.

Schewe

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 01:44:56 pm »

The image taken from a plane and the iceberg weren't - imo - the best examples to use because most photographers won't be able to shoot such scenes.

Well, you may not be shooting from planes, but have you ever shot distant vistas from a high place like a mountain? Ever shot in hazy/dusty conditions? As for the iceberg, sure, most people don't get to go to Antarctica but a lot of people shoot in the rain or fog that produce really flat results.

Perhaps I should have emphasized that readers should do a mental translation from the example images and apply it to their own work. All of the examples in chapter 4 are intended to represent very common image capture problems and show how you can deal with them.

Wil

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 06:08:08 pm »

Thanks! That worked.

Wil

donbga

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2012, 11:06:06 pm »

The Digital Print is due out April 2013...sorry, I can only work on one book at a time :~)

For those of you who have the The Digital Neg book (in paper or ebook) have you guys gone to the book's web site?

www.TheDigitalNegativeBook.com

The site will have a lot of other stuff in the future but I've uploaded 10 images from Chapter 4 already (more to come) and two errata posts...

I've got the Kindle version but can't find any references to a Password to gain access to online content. Any hints about this?

Thanks,

Don
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up