Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Digital Negative (book)?  (Read 37153 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
The Digital Negative (book)?
« on: September 30, 2012, 09:17:50 am »

Has anyone read Jeff Schewe's The Digital Negative? What did you think about it?

I'm thinking about ordering it but I mostly use Aperture (although I own Lightroom, too). Are the techniques he presents pretty universal, or very focused on Lightroom (and ACR)?

Bob
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Tom Frerichs

Re: The Digital Negative (book)?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 09:56:40 am »

Although it's not a "how-to" for ACR/Lightroom/Photoshop, those are the processing tools used.  So, yeah...it doesn't talk about Aperture at all.

Tom Frerichs

PS...it's also available for your B&N Nook.

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 12:00:15 pm »

Would the content of the book be applicable (mutandis of course mutatis) to the use of Phocus?
I don't have a signature.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 02:59:24 pm »

Are the techniques he presents pretty universal, or very focused on Lightroom (and ACR)?

I would say if you use Aperture, the book won't offer you much as all of the raw processing (the guts of the book) are about Lightroom/Camera Raw. There is one chapter about using Photoshop for those things LR/ACR can't do but if you don't use LR/ACR I don't think this is a book for you.

On the other hand, if you use LR/ACR plus Elements instead of the full Photoshop I would suggest the book.

Sorry, would love to sell a book to ya but would be not want you disappointed...just sayin'

:~)

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 03:51:52 pm »

If you use LR, Camera Raw, and or Photoshop, get it.  It is far and away the best book yet that I have come across about the 'digital negative'.  It lets you understand not only a process for working with digital files, but a lot of the theory behind what happens and why.  Mr. Schewe is hands down, the authority on pretty much all of the digital process.  Plus, it is written in a very down to earth, friendly, easy to read style.

I highly recommend it.

Natvander

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 09:55:24 pm »

Jeff do you know if the book will be made available to non US distributors (i.e. Australia) and if so, do you know when?

And...how similar is your book to Seth Resnick's?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:22:03 pm by Natvander »

Schewe

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 10:38:29 pm »

Jeff do you know if the book will be made available to non US distributors (i.e. Australia) and if so, do you know when?

Yes...but it takes a while for the ships to arrive (I'm pretty sure Peachpit wouldn't use airfreight!)

As far as Seth's book, he does the whole feature set of using Lightroom in a workflow...it covers a lot more about everything Lighroom. I cherry pick the raw process (Develop) and drill down a lot further than Seth does. So buy Seth's for workflow and mine for detailed information on raw processing (and working in Photoshop). Better yet, buy both plus Martin Evening's Lightroom Book too! You'll have 3/5 of the world's Pixel Geniuses...

Natvander

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 11:17:31 pm »

Yes...but it takes a while for the ships to arrive (I'm pretty sure Peachpit wouldn't use airfreight!)

As far as Seth's book, he does the whole feature set of using Lightroom in a workflow...it covers a lot more about everything Lighroom. I cherry pick the raw process (Develop) and drill down a lot further than Seth does. So buy Seth's for workflow and mine for detailed information on raw processing (and working in Photoshop). Better yet, buy both plus Martin Evening's Lightroom Book too! You'll have 3/5 of the world's Pixel Geniuses...

You're not helping my budget!  Would help if Adobe slowed down with the LR/PS releases too - gotta figure out what to do with all my books on LR, LR2, CS2, CS3 etc etc.  :^D

Would it be fair to say that your book could be considered reference material to the tutorial videos?  I've found them invaluable, especially when asked to explain something to other photogs.

Good thing Christmas is approaching - better chance to hint to the wife...

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 11:36:12 pm »

Would it be fair to say that your book could be considered reference material to the tutorial videos?  I've found them invaluable, especially when asked to explain something to other photogs.

Well, there's a lot of stuff in the book that isn't in the vids (the book is more current)...and a lot of stuff in C2PS that's not in the book (I barely mention printing in the Digital Neg cause that will be covered in the next book, The Digital Print, yeah, sorry yet another book to buy :~).

Sorry...you asked!

Natvander

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 11:42:03 pm »

Well, there's a lot of stuff in the book that isn't in the vids (the book is more current)...and a lot of stuff in C2PS that's not in the book (I barely mention printing in the Digital Neg cause that will be covered in the next book, The Digital Print, yeah, sorry yet another book to buy :~).

Sorry...you asked!

Yeah I asked and copped it on the chin :^)  I'll definitely be buying the Digital Print (pre christmas?).

Thanks for the info.  One things for sure - you're always learning something new in the world of photography (especially digital).

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 12:16:13 am »

One things for sure - you're always learning something new in the world of photography (especially digital).

Uh, yep...I learn new stuff all the time! I learned a lot writing this book (you know, you think you know what you are talking about and then you have to write it down and suddenly you realized you really don't fully grok something–forces you to really learn it!).

Fun times, huh?

poul

• http://www.sanver.se
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 09:46:28 am »

I ordered the book here in Sweden :)

rdonson

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 09:52:55 am »

Jeff as you say, you really don't know something until you have to teach it. 

I got the Kindle version of the book so I could have it on all my devices.  I'm enjoying it so far, especially the uniquely Jeff style of humor. 
Regards,
Ron

ymc226

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 05:02:13 pm »

Jeff, I new (this year) to digital and post-processing but have read a lot of beginner books.  Using only Lightroom and NIK plug ins so far as I'd like to tackle Photoshop when I have more time.  I'm still perplexed when people talk about LR and ACR as separate entities. 

Can you correct my understanding that Lightroom has ACR built in so the develop module in LR is actually ACR?  I've seen in various books/website tutorials parts of ACR which has similar controls as in the LR Develop module.

Natvander

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 05:50:59 pm »

Lightroom is ACR on steroids, plus a plethora of digital management tools.

Schewe

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2012, 06:00:12 pm »

Can you correct my understanding that Lightroom has ACR built in so the develop module in LR is actually ACR?  I've seen in various books/website tutorials parts of ACR which has similar controls as in the LR Develop module.

ACR is a plug-in, Lightroom is a stand alone app. ACR is not built into LR...the core raw image processing algorithms are shared by the same relative versions of both ACR & LR. The main features are also in both but the UI and usability differs. LR can do some stuff because it's a stand alone app. ACR is limited in some things because it's a plug-in for Photoshop and Bridge. If you think of the raw processing as a pipeline, both ACR and Lightroom share the same core processing pipeline but I think it's a mistake to say ACR is in LR...the core code is shared but they are two very different things.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 01:33:19 pm »

I have the book on my iPad and it is masterfully done...I will be referring to this often!  Lots of new stuff to learn! Thanks Jeff. Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Schewe

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 05:57:38 pm »

Thanks Jeff.

You are welcome...

As an interesting side note, after Michael wrote his short review on Fri, over the weekend the book shot up the charts at Amazon. It was (still is) ranked #1 in graphic design, digital imaging and Photoshop categories (actually several more) but actually got ranked #93 in ALL books on Amazon. I was actually shocked...sadly it has fallen back to only be #162 in books because, well, Amazon sold out :~( I'm told by the publisher that Amazon rarely sells out of newly released books because their forecasting is so good. But I'm promised more books are already being shipped to Amazon so hopefully they'll be available in a few days (and not the 1-3 weeks listed on the Amazon site).

I'm also told amazon.ca and UK should be getting shipments soon as well.

Natvander

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 06:14:38 pm »

Congrats Jeff!  LuLa is quite a community.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 07:02:40 pm »

The common woman's arrived today! She's a happy camper! Lucky we are to be here. Add a couple more shiny side up's!
A common woman~
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up