Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9900 vs HP Latex - For canvas prints  (Read 9482 times)

darlingm

• Westland Printworks
Epson 9900 vs HP Latex - For canvas prints
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:27:40 am »

I've heard of HP's latex ink printers, but that they exist is the extent that I know about them.  How do canvases made with latex ink compare to standard inkjets, including the Epson 9900's pigment inks?  I see latex ink supposedly doesn't need a coating, or at least "needs" it less.  How's the gamut compare?

I'm hoping there are large advantages my pigment ink canvases have over latex ink canvases, besides the upfront printer cost, because that doesn't come into play for someone looking at a very low price for a latex ink canvas.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 02:30:53 am by darlingm »
Mike • Westland Printworks
Fine Art Printing • Amazing Artwork Reproduction • Photography
http://www.westlandprintworks.com • (734) 255-9761

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Epson 9900 vs HP Latex - For canvas prints
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 07:19:24 am »

Image quality of N-color water based ink inkjet printers is still at the top compared to (Eco)solvent, Latex, UV curing, ink printers. Partly because the last do not have an ink set  beyond CcMmYK or CMYKRB or one of those and an extra white ink. The other factor is that some binders are not that transparent. The optional white ink is not increasing the gamut other than laying a white fond when no white medium is present. If there is competition it is from (Eco)solvent models as their gamut comes closer and third party inks set the low ink price level in that category. With more Latex printer models becoming available (HP, Mimaki, Ricoh and more)  that may change in time. While more Eco due to less (aggressive) solvent used the energy use of Latex printers has been considered high. My 5 cents.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

360+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
september 2012: Photokina updates going on for at least a month
Pages: [1]   Go Up