Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pause for some introspection...  (Read 1042 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Pause for some introspection...
« on: September 29, 2012, 05:43:08 pm »

I was shooting with a friend down at one of our many marinas when we chanced upon these two guys. My friend jokingly asked if one of the yatchs out there belonged to one of them. The man staring out toward the boats replied in a very soft voice,

"Last boat I was on was on June 6, 1944. I'll never get on another one."

Then they left.

If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Pause for some introspection...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 06:20:01 pm »

That's a very powerful image, Chris.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 02:46:20 am »

More so with the caption...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 05:07:02 am »

And there we illustrate one of the huge psychological differences between the two sides of the Atlantic.

On the European side, I can't recall anyone, other than at official remembrance ceremonies, wearing anything that bears reference to the war. On the American side, we appear to have a profusion of flags on private homes, the wearing of much military clothing and assorted regalia, not to mention the endemic love affair with firepower.

We had a decorated war hero of our own within the family, and never would he talk about anything to do with fighting; all I ever heard from him was about moments of reckless amore (not rape, I hasten to add) during the fighting across Europe.

Maybe for the non-combatants or even those of us with the years to remember, the vision of smashed homes, personal belongings lying in the remains of our own streets etc, removes the last vestige of glamour from anything to do with wars. Perhaps Europeans prefer to drive those spectres from their minds rather than shout them abroad. I guess if your country never saw itself in tatters, then you might have a different take and still view retuning warriors with a certain mix of showbiz glitz, respect and schmaltz.

Hey ho.

Rob C

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 08:18:44 am »

Oh, we did in the great Civil War. Much or nearly all of the south lay in total ruin, but I think you still have a point in the reasoning. Not having a daily find of unexploded ordnance or seeing where great and mightly buildings once stood but for so long remained rubble has a way of changing one's perspective on war. My best friend did two tours of Viet Nam and I never word one from him as to "what did you do in the war, daddy," type questions he got from his daughter. He went to his grave with whatever went on over there never crossing his lips. Others, like you've pointed out see it as a badge of honor to have fought in a war and a lot even revel in all its glory, regalia and blood. I think I'd be more like my friend. I would hope so anyway but like a friend commented on the image and caption, "Does anyone need to say anymore than "thank you."
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1]   Go Up