Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon/Canon professional grade FF lenses more expensive than Contax 645  (Read 2208 times)

EinstStein

Nikon and Canon professional grade lenses are much more expensive than the Contax 645 Carl/Zeiss.
Yes, this is about new vs. used, but Nikon/Canon used lenses are not much different from their used ones.

I think Nikon/canon could be more convenient than Contax 645 or any other medium format, that's all?
No wonder Hasselblad H's sale is dropped badly.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Nikon/Canon professional grade FF lenses more expensive than Contax 645
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 01:36:55 pm »

Nikon and Canon professional grade lenses are much more expensive than the Contax 645 Carl/Zeiss.
Yes, this is about new vs. used, but Nikon/Canon used lenses are not much different from their used ones.

I think Nikon/canon could be more convenient than Contax 645 or any other medium format, that's all?

Well... at least there is some manufacturers who don't fall in the same false marketing league of Canikon.
Many of the canons and Nikon lenses will be nailed by ... SIGMA.

Have a look at this and come back to debate about :

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/09/24/sigmas-system-revolution/
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 02:29:36 pm »

This only tangentially has anything to do with Hasselblad or Phase One for that matter. The tangent is  the little issue matter of supply and demand. Compared to Nikon and Canon and the other marginal 35mm based Digital SLR cameras on the market, medium format cameras  occupy an increasingly small share of the demand pie. Inside that slice since  Contax 645 systemhas been discontinued for at least 5 years years and it commands virtually zero demand even in the marketplace for used cameras . With virtually no demand, prices fall.

On the plus side  as a consumer that means you can get some really great deals on the terrific lenses that were made for the Contax 645 system.

Yes Sigma makes some lenses that perform very well (And Canon and Nikon some lenses that are bad) but let's see how they hold up in the long term. In the past build quality has been a problem for Sigma (And Tokina, etc.)

EinstStein

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 09:53:45 pm »

On the third party lens, I have bought several Sigma lenses, including 24-70mm, 50mm 1.4, etc.,  but returned them after trial. It's a short story, none of them focusing right.
Thanks B&H and Adorama, they allow free shipping and free return without question. I like a local camera store near me, Keeble and Shuchat at Palo Alto, they simply don't carry Sigma.
I heard it's because Sigma does not pass their qualification, and the business model is not flexible.
I also have tried several Tamron, the 28-75mm is a good one. But Tamron do not have enough lenses to take me away from Canon or Nikon.

Anyway, but Nikon/Canon vs. third party is not my point. I just thought it' a shame that Contax 645 was pushed out of the market, and Hasselblad may not be much better. And now a high quality 35mm system with the desired lenses is even more expensive than a MF.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up