Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mitt Romney's halo  (Read 169281 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Mitt Romney's halo
« Reply #660 on: November 22, 2012, 10:25:12 am »

Our friend Justin seems to be reaching for a Humpty Dumpty dictionary way to often ;)

Pages after pages in defense of God and religion, and it turns out in the end he had in mind a good, old spiritualism!?

dmerger

« Reply #661 on: November 22, 2012, 10:26:49 am »

Of course there are things science can't explain - yet. If science could explain everything, it would stop. Scientists admit that they don't know things ...

... Scientists make no claims for that which is beyond their ability to enquire. ... There's a humility involved in science, not least in the fact of scientists having to say "I don't know" in response to a variety of questions. …

... yet science keeps reminding us that it is the only true explanation of everything.

I do think that several people in this thread have displayed an abundance of book knowledge, but a severe lack of knowledge of what it means to be an intelligent, caring human being.  

In the immortal words of Arte Johnson in Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In,   “Verrrry interesting…”.  :)  Two of the more vocal supporters of god and religion do so not merely by arguments in support of god and religion, but by dishonestly denigrating science, scientists and others here who have expressed different views.   :o  ???  ::)   :(
Dean Erger

dmerger

« Reply #662 on: November 22, 2012, 10:43:40 am »

Perhaps a short diversion would be helpful.  How about a short digression about single malt scotch?   :)

Chairman Bill, I really enjoy Bowmore 12 year, but find Lagavulin 16 year to be a little too assertive for my taste.  Can you say how Laphroig compares?  I've never tasted it.
Dean Erger

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #663 on: November 22, 2012, 12:56:33 pm »

Our friend Justin seems to be reaching for a Humpty Dumpty dictionary way to often ;)

Pages after pages in defense of God and religion, and it turns out in the end he had in mind a good, old spiritualism!?

Oh dear oh dear....

No, not really, but I fear that you may also have fallen into the polarity trap of thinking that there can be no more than two sides to any discussion.

Should you read the posts a little more carefully you will note that

a) I have said quite a few nice things about science.
b) I have pointed out that I am not in the habit of worship, therefore do not subscribe to any religion.
c) I worry that with the demise of the present established churches other forms of expressing belief will dominate which  may not be a good thing. Spiritualism is one of them.

Now, how you work out that I have been fighting God's corner and promoting spiritualism from that I just don't know but no doubt it makes sense to those who want it to.

jeremypayne

« Reply #664 on: November 22, 2012, 01:10:56 pm »

Oh dear oh dear....

Oh please.

You basically stated that belief in one's own abilities was "religion" ... but ... To be fair, you've equally misrepresented "science" and "religion"  ... and many other related concepts.

Slobodan's point is spot on ... You've defined and redefined core terms and concepts so many different ways that your message has disolved into something very personal that only you can truly understand.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #665 on: November 22, 2012, 01:36:03 pm »

Perhaps a short diversion would be helpful.  How about a short digression about single malt scotch?   :)

Chairman Bill, I really enjoy Bowmore 12 year, but find Lagavulin 16 year to be a little too assertive for my taste.  Can you say how Laphroig compares?  I've never tasted it.

I good ole scientific fashion, I will go & check, a few experiments, note the results, then I'll get back to you.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #666 on: November 22, 2012, 02:23:11 pm »

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Theists, Deists, Atheists and Spiritualists!

I am thankful for this forum and the opportunity to show how smart I am... or not ;)

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #667 on: November 22, 2012, 03:24:19 pm »

Oh please.

You basically stated that belief in one's own abilities was "religion" ... but ... To be fair, you've equally misrepresented "science" and "religion"  ... and many other related concepts.

Slobodan's point is spot on ... You've defined and redefined core terms and concepts so many different ways that your message has disolved into something very personal that only you can truly understand.

You basically stated that belief in one's own abilities was "religion"

Err.. are you sure about?

Anyway, I'm off out. Have fun.

jeremypayne

« Reply #668 on: November 22, 2012, 03:32:28 pm »

... I would reiterate the we we didn't fly to the moon purely on the back of science, there was some sort of soul within the team that put the rockets together, a shared faith that it could be done and that in itself is a religion

Justin.

Yes, I am sure you said that.

Must be hard to keep track of what you say when you just make things up as you go ...

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #669 on: November 22, 2012, 06:13:47 pm »

So, Laphroaig - peaty, smoky, with a salty sweetness about it. Bowmore - a smoky sweetness, with a peppery then smooth aftertaste. Aberlour - really smooth, a hint of vanilla & Xmas spices (like liquid Xmas cake). Highland Park - even smoother, quite silky-smooth in fact,  with hints of heather (as if it's been distilled from Fraoch Ale) & honey; superb.

So there you have it, a scientific foray in spirits. Results are inconclusive, so I'll repeat the experiment, maybe adding Glenmorangie to the test subjects, if the current floods subside enough for me to get to a shop/off-licence.

WalterEG

« Reply #670 on: November 22, 2012, 06:22:06 pm »

Thank you Bill,

I had faith that if I lurked lonbg enough I might gain such useful spiritual guidance as you have so generously proffered.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #671 on: November 22, 2012, 06:53:48 pm »

Thanks. It's hard, generally thankless work, but somebody has to sacrifice their time & get the job done.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #672 on: November 22, 2012, 07:36:22 pm »

... maybe adding Glenmorangie to the test subjects...
Recommended. My personal favorite. According to their website "with fresh fruits, butterscotch and toffee. Silky smooth in the mouth, slightly less spice and with more toffee than before, Original is nutty, with well-mannered spices coming through more in the medium length finish. The finish has less caramel character than previously, and a final hint of ginger." And that's just the cheap version. I can't say I notice all that, particularly the "well-mannered spices", at least until half way down the bottle, and then you wouldn't believe what I notice. 
Ken Cameron

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #673 on: November 23, 2012, 02:42:36 am »

Recommended. My personal favorite.

I had a fantastic 17 year old Ardbeg. Possibly my favourite. Just a miniature bottle left now - it's discountinued, so I'm reluctant to open it, just saving it for a special occasion. Ardbeg do some fantastic whiskies, and some at quite fantastic prices too. Try £600 a bottle for some special releases. When I win the lottery, I'm buying the distillery.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34]   Go Up