Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Discovers Joy of Post Processing but Overwhelmed with Product Choices  (Read 2890 times)

ArticFox

Hello,

I am a newbie in this forum and have just discovered post processing my LX5 images - it has become an obsessive behavior!

I am looking for advice in regards to selecting a processor program.  I download my LX5 images to an earlier generation Apple iMac and simply use its iPhoto processor.  Do I need to look further? 

I am curious about comparative reviews or discussions of the various processors. 

Christian

Tony Jay

I would recommend Lightroom.
Excellent RAW converter, Parametric editing, Digital Asset Manager, Print Manager. On it goes.

Actually, a bit more detail on your current 'needs' as well as future anticipated needs would people to advise you.

Regards

Tony Jay

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com

I download my LX5 images to an earlier generation Apple iMac and simply use its iPhoto processor.  Do I need to look further? 

Uh...this ain't an iPhoto environment...obviously you need to get some real software. If you want iPhoto on steroids get Lightroom. If you need to do real retouching and image combinations get Photoshop (or at least Elements) but in this neck of the woods, we don't do much in the way of low-end digital imaging. You might want to post to the Beginners Forum here where you'll be cut some slack. This sub-forum really ain't where ya wanna be.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/

I would recommend Lightroom.
Me too, definitely : it's so much simpler and faster than an old-schoool, image-per-image processor like PS and the likes! And it's very efficient.
Download the LR4 tutorial from this site and Bob's your uncle.

NB Some people said also some good of Apple Aperture, but I didn't try it (I'm from the dark side of the force you know).
I wouldn't recommend some other software for a beginner.
When you'll be proficient with LR, you may want to unleash the power of PS CS for some images that ask for it... but it's lesson 4 or 5, at least.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 10:30:04 am by NikoJorj »
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Philip Weber

Lightroom (Version 1.1 then) was where I started and the only place I'd tell anyone to start. From there, as Jeff said, Photoshop should be next, which, in turn can act as a host for the wonderful world of plug-ins, such as Nik and Topaz, to name a couple.

It all depends on your budget and how serious you are about learning the software and if you're not shooting in RAW, that's probably the first thing you'll want to tackle.

It's probably too overwhelming to do all at once, so starting with something like LR,4.1 which does soooo much more than it did when it first came out 5 1/2 years ago, might be all you'll need for quite a while.

I hope this helps,
Phil

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures

Lightroom is excellent, and favored on Luminous Landscape.  As an Apple user, you should also look at Aperture.  Aperture and Lightroom are functionally identical, and equally excellent.  After several days working with them side-by-side, I elected to commit to Aperture because of its superior organizing capability and its broad tie-in with the OS and the rest of the Apple ecosystem.  I have not regretted my choice.  What I passed on was the larger user base, more widely available resources, and more up-to-date support of new cameras.

Whichever you chose, budget at least 20 hours of dedicated work to get up-and-running, and probably 40-100 hours before you are proficient enough to trust yourself with real work.  There is _a lot_ to learn about development of digital camera files.

Michael and Jeff's LR videos are highly recommended.  If you go with Aperture, here is a suggested list of resources:  https://discussions.apple.com/message/16690181#16690181

ArticFox

I wish to thank all of you for making suggestions.  I will look into Lightroom for now.  I moved my inquiry to the beginner's after reading the second response to this post, but I came back in his section to consider everyone's input.  One reason why I registered on this site is that LL members seem to be more subject/goal oriented rather than social challengers.  I like unique personalities too, but I have to get to know these individuals, and that take time.   

Pete_G

I wish to thank all of you for making suggestions.  I will look into Lightroom for now.  I moved my inquiry to the beginner's after reading the second response to this post, but I came back in his section to consider everyone's input.  One reason why I registered on this site is that LL members seem to be more subject/goal oriented rather than social challengers.  I like unique personalities too, but I have to get to know these individuals, and that take time.   

Those of us who have been here for a while know that "Schewe" (Jeff Schewe) is faaaar to modest, <grin>, to mention the Luminous Landscape Tutorial Videos he fronts with LL publisher Michael Reichmann, but to be honest, if you can afford to buy them, do it. They are, by far, the easiest and most enjoyable way to get up and running with Lightroom and Photoshop and all things to do with post production. Search this site for the details.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography

I also recommend Lightroom.  It's fairly easy to use but incredibly powerful.  There are some great books and tutorials but honestly, it's not that tough to figure out.  I recommend you download it and spend a few days experimenting with it.  Good luck and enjoy it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up