Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compact System Camera Most Highly Regarded for Ergonomics & User Interface?  (Read 3126 times)

ArticFox

Hello.  I enjoy MR's reviews and admire him for considering ergonomics & user interface, as well as camera technology.  I use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 w/ EVF for wide angle close scenics in nature (not landscapes) and short telephoto close-up subjects.  I am searching for a compact system camera that feel less like dollhouse furniture.  Joking aside, the LX5 is a wonderful camera in terms of images, but it is difficult to get my hands around it - I don't feel intimate with it.

It would be difficult to get a personal response form MR, so I thought I would ask the forum community what they experience or know is a very ergonomic and user friendly compact system camera.  I should note that I love dials, custom functions, and buttons, over menus.  As an example, the Olympus OMD looks cool and is well built, but I have read that it needs to be enhanced by an add-on grip and the user interface is not easy.

I look forward to your comments.

Christian

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: Compact System Camera Most Highly Regarded for Ergonomics & User Interface?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:28:48 pm »

I've used a few of these cameras, I liked the Lumix GF1 ok, We have the Olympus OMD in stock and I've played with it, and it's very comfortable and has a very good EVF.

I own a NEX 7 and really like the tri-nav controls as and the feel of the camera.  Other than the accidental video which I've found is quite infrequent now as I've adapted to the camera and the lack of custom setup functions, I've found it one of my favorite cameras.  I have a Nikon adaptor so I can use my Nikon Zeiss glass and with the focus peaking feature it's very easy to use.  The EVF is very good and in fact it's the only way I take pictures, i never use the LCD anymore when shooting.

The soon to be shipping NEX 6 sounds like a nice camera.  Sony has a new intelligent hot shoe, and it's "intelligent" enough to accept standard strobes, (one annoyance of the NEX 7). Instead of two side by side controls there are two stacked controls but I think the top one is a dedicated mode dial instead of a soft dial - most will like that better.  It's a lower resolution sensor, but still decent (I think 16mp).  All in all it looks like a good camera at a lower price point. The new 16-50 motorized zoom looks like a nice option as it collapses making the camera pretty small.  I keep a canon G1x in my backpack so I've always got a semi decent camera with me ... with this lens collapsed the size won't be much larger than the G1x, so the canon might be for sale soon.  Lots of other features in the new camera so it's certainly looks intriguing, including improved focusing (which I think can be continuous now), wi-fi (hard to say how useful that will be but has potential)

ArticFox

This weekend I chose the MFT system, but the Fuji XE1 was my last holdout in this decision.  I have read that the Fuji X sensor offers special images.  I chose a mature system and bought the best glass possible primes (12mm and 75mm) within my budget, but still mulling on the body between OMD and GH3.  I favor the GH3 for its enhanced EVF and ergonomics, although it appears to have entered  the DSLR-size realm.  I like both wide angle close scenics with good depth of field (chipmunk view in the woods), and short telephoto close-ups.  I was happy with the LX5, so I am not a pixel counter, but it was so difficult to get my hands around it.  I took this sunrise with the LX5 last Sunday.

/Users/christianfox/Desktop/P1000743 2.JPG

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com

You can pick up a GH2 for around $700 new right now. It's a fine camera for stills and video, and you may appreciate the large grip. I have the Gh2, the GF1, and the original G1 with various prime and zoom lenses, and all are still in use. The OMD gets nice reviews and is only $300 more expensive, but I haven't owned any of the Olympus m4/3 so can't comment. However the in-body stabilization would be huge.

Here are some links on possibly helpful reviews of lenses: link 1, link 2.

You can pick up the Panny 14/2.5 cheap on eBay, and it's a fine little lens (and I do mean little.) The Panasonic 20 is very good, though I still want the 25/1.4. For a portrait lens, the Olympus 45/1.8 is really very nice. And yeah, I want the 75/1.8 though I can't possibly justify it. The 45-200 zoom is inexpensive but surprisingly decent - I often stick it in my travel bag just in case, and have made some nice images with it. If you want a mid-range zoom, the original Panny 14-45 is much better than the newer 14-42, though of course the 12-35/2.8 is likely better than both.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

AFairley

I would be inclined to take a close look at the Olympus OM-D for the in-body stabilization if there is any possibility you will use any third party or legacy lenses on the camera.  Personally, I really like the way it handles, but I have not owned any of the Panasonic bodies so I can't say how they compare.

leuallen

I have both the EM-5 and GH2. I prefer the handling of the GH2 because of the implementation of back button focusing and ability to review images in the EVF conveniently. The EM-5 is lacking  in both. In other respects the EM-5 is superior: image quality, stabilization, etc. I have the GH3 on order and hope it is the best of both.

Larry

Deardorff

The Fuji X100 can produce some good images and for some of us, handles well. I like the finder. Can't get used to looking at a screen held out away from the face.
Pages: [1]   Go Up