Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas finishing  (Read 9765 times)

douvidl

Canvas finishing
« on: September 27, 2012, 04:50:12 pm »

I am trying to find a varnish to finish both matt and gloss canvas.  I've tried Breathing Color's Timeless on Gloss canvas.   The result was a lot of color bleading all over. (Yes, the canvas dried over 3 days). Then I tried it on matt as the fold at Breathing Color said that Timeless couldn't be roled on gloss. Again, the bleading.
Can anyone suggest what I've been doing wrong or whether the product isn't what they say it is.  Breathing Color said that Timeless was developed to be used on Lylve canvas, which is matt..
Thanks
David

Roscolo

Re: Canvas finishing
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:35:48 pm »

What specific printer did you use to make the prints?

What specific canvas product are you trying to coat?

I'm not a fan of Breathing Color. I prefer ClearShield and Rosco topcoats with which I've had great success coating prints on Sunset Select Matte canvas and Phototex printed on an HP z3100 applied via HVLP spray method.

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 07:59:34 pm »

I've never tried Timeless. I have used Clearshield with a sprayer (Fuji) with no problem and with a roller, both on Canson Artist Canvas and on Canson Platine Fibre Rag, printed on an Epson 7900. To be safe from ink smears from the roller, I sprayed one coat of Hahnemühle protective spray, and rolled my first pass with just the pressure of the roller's weight. Subsequent passes were with "normal" pressure. Someone told me that I shouldn't need the protective spray coat with canvas that has dried for at least 48 hours. I haven't tried that yet.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:39:25 pm »

If you want to use Timeless on glossy canvas, I would spray it only.  I coat most of my glossy canvas with timeless via HVLP sprayer.  Matte canvas in larger sizes I spray and smaller I will still roll.  I have not had any problems with Timeless pulling off ink on the matte when rolling, but as you point out when rolled on glossy it can pull the ink up. 

The other option might be to try Glamour II also from Breathing color or the Eco print brands.   

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ian99

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:20:15 am »

I print from a Z3100 on Lyve and Sunset Select Matte. I then dilute Timeless about 20% with warm water and roll it on the dried canvas  (I have no room for a spraybooth).
I get no bleeding and the water dilution seems to help with the occasional air bubble.
As Roscolo said -- which printer are you using and which canvas?

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:21:54 am »

I used Glamour II and a roller but only on matt canvas. It is fabulous and i'm coating 16 more images this weekend.

I’ve read a lot of comments from people who I consider to be experts that the only practical way to coat gloss canvas is by use of a spray gun. With a spray gun, accordingly, there are several types of coatings that work well, including Glamour II.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 11:58:56 am »

Canon inks bleeding while rolling on canvas varnishes is more often reported than with other ink brands. My 2 cents.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

360+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
september 2012: Photokina updates going on for at least a month

Darrel

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 02:59:45 pm »

Canon inks bleeding while rolling on canvas varnishes is more often reported than with other ink brands. My 2 cents.

This may be partly attributed to increased ink density settings by Canon for standard canvas media profiles rather than the ink itself.

douvidl

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 12:36:36 pm »

I am using a 3880 and have been trying a number of canvas brands, include Lyve, the Breathing color Crystiline, Black Diamond and Moab canvas.
I am leaning towards using only the Black Diamond. The brightness and tightness and weight are perfect for me.  I won't try Timeless again.  I think it a poor product.  So what suggestions for a varnish.  (I don't have room for a spray box)
Thanks
for all your responses.
DAvid

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 03:13:25 pm »

We carry both PremierArt Eco Printshield and Clearshield products.  Both in sprays and roll-on.  These would be under the "Peripherals and Finishing" section.  Then under the "Finishing products" section which should than be listed for all the versions on both brands.

We sell many of the Premier products and would recommend either brand.  Clearshield has an extra finish, but they work the same way.

sales@atlex.com

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 04:20:43 pm »

For me this is the best sealer I've found for sealing canvas: Clear Shield Liquid Laminate Type C (matte/gloss/satin).
I use a fine roller and need only one coat on small prints, maximum of two coats on large (24x30+) canvasses. Re-apply when dry to the touch. I was having trouble with all the other brands mentioned here with the sealer liquid separating even when brand new. After a few weeks of storage there was a "sludge" that formed in the container that was impossible to remove even with a strainer. I have never had any separation problem with Clear Shield. Last week I used it from a gallon container that I opened last May and was sitting on a shelf since then with absolutely no glop on the bottom. I just stirred it a bit to make sure the matte mixture was uniform. I poured it into the roller tray through a sieve and had zero glop remaining. Most of the reject sealing jobs I had before were from tiny bits of glop that made it through the sieve and prevented the leveling of the sealer when drying.

http://www.marabu-northamerica.com/products/product-overview/liquid-coatings/water-based.html

My California supplier is Ordway Supplies 800-967-3929 although the manufacturer sent me a sample when I first heard about them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up