Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Be True  (Read 7670 times)

Rob C

Re: Be True
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 10:33:57 am »

Interesting take: so it depends on reader opinion. Marvel of US law, then.

No wonder so many lawyers make a good living; I'd often wondered why it was such a litigious society. Shame the current times don't live up to the 50s cars, then... and to think I fell in love with American Graffiti to the extent of shedding a sentimental tear.

Oh well, live and learn - illusions are obviously made to be shattered.

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 10:45:24 am »

I think the setting is lovely but the shot barely average.  I understand that sometimes things don't conspire to create good composition.  Keep the shot because it's worth it for a record.  But as art or street itself?  No, it's not very good.

You're right, Jen. From the standpoint of geometry it's almost as bad as the majority of what I see on "Documentary," but it has two things going for it: (1) There's a story there, and (2) you can't tell what the story is from the picture, so it's not as boring. But, mea culpa, it's not one of my best.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

amolitor

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 10:56:10 am »

I like it because of the inevitability of the composition. I haven't really formed an opinion on whether it's good or bad, but whichever it is, there is no important element that is not an inevitable consequence of the moment. This inevitability is, I think, an element of quality in this kind of work.

The only question is whether or not you should have pressed the shutter at all, all else is as it must be.

In this way it feels like a Joseph Conrad story, which always strike me as having that same inevitability, like a Swiss watch, there is only one way this can unfold, and it unfolds just so.

RSL

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 11:03:33 am »

Pressing the shutter was inevitable, Andrew. I wish I'd had more time to deal with the geometry, but I couldn't let this one get away.

amolitor

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 11:31:39 am »

Pressing the shutter was inevitable, Andrew. I wish I'd had more time to deal with the geometry, but I couldn't let this one get away.

What would you have done if you could have frozen them in time, and moved around? If you care to talk about it, anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts on where a better photograph would have been at, or near, this moment in time.

RSL

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 02:15:07 pm »

Andrew, You do this kind of thing in a second or less, but there wasn't much I could have done even if the world had stopped so I could walk around the scene. If I'd moved the camera right I'd have included at least part of the body of the guy on the right, and all I wanted was his arm. But at least I'd have had time to make sure the rest of her heel was in the picture.

In the end, much as I hate to admit it, this is a situation where cropping simply is necessary. Here are two cropped versions. They improve the geometry, but even in the B&W version the woman's face is somewhat camouflaged by the car behind it.

It's just one of those things. You can't win 'em all. From the standpoint of street photography standards I shouldn't have posted it, but I still think it's interesting. Let's call it a "documentary," and let the critics tell us that no picture has narrative ability.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 02:24:52 pm »

In the USA the truth is not libel. In other countries, this is not the case.

Well, I've not met Walter, so I don't know if he's a dwarf or a giant, Scandinavian or otherwise, or whether he lives in a cave or under a bridge frightening passing goats. I suspect none of these, so maybe he's not a troll and it's not true.

Careful, Russ  ;)

Jeremy

WalterEG

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 04:36:48 pm »

this is a situation where cropping simply is necessary. Here are two cropped versions.

Russ,

The crop on the colour version makes the image sing and reveals much more inter-relationship (including the geezer sat on the bench seat).  Cropped, I really like it and the clipped heel becomes an added strength rather than a detraction, for me.

Cheers,

W

WalterEG

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 04:39:34 pm »

so maybe he's not a troll and it's not true.

Thank you Jeremy, you have hit the nail on the head.

Perception is a personal matter and if some want to think that being frank and forthright makes you a troll, then so be it.

Cheers,

W

RSL

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 06:18:17 pm »

Russ,

The crop on the colour version makes the image sing and reveals much more inter-relationship (including the geezer sat on the bench seat).  Cropped, I really like it and the clipped heel becomes an added strength rather than a detraction, for me.

Cheers,

W

Thanks, Walter. I'm always reluctant to crop. I always try to compose on the camera, but this time I blew it. Only problem is, it's a 12 mp from the E-P1. If it were a 36 mp from the D800 I'd be happier about the crop.

michswiss

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 06:46:10 pm »

I see no need to take a pot shot at another forum.   If you want to be bitter, you can always send me an email or PM.  The cropped versions do help somewhat, but I still don't see any particularly compelling story in the image.

RSL

« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 07:56:49 pm »

I'm not taking a pot shot, Jennifer. I'm saying what I always said on the site when I was on the site.

jeremypayne

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2012, 10:25:05 pm »

As written, could that be read as libel?

Rob C

Haha!  Too funny.  Go ahead and sue me.  Let's find out.

Is it even possible to libel an anonymous curmudgeon?

IanBrowne

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 12:33:24 am »

back to the photo children  ::)

I want to know who is he about to shake hand with and what is on the front of the sign to get that response from the other person.

Just for ideas to explore russ.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 12:37:58 am by IanBrowne »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up