Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sand  (Read 712 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Sand
« on: September 26, 2012, 08:01:26 pm »

From last week during a very low equinox tide. There are no ridges, ripples or waves, just different sized grains of sand blown by the wind.

Dave

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
Re: Sand
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:13:59 pm »

For me this one is "nice enough", but I find myself imagining all the other possible black and white shots of a patch of wind-blown sand, and not getting a sense of what makes this one stand out. Also, your usual standard is pretty high and I am judging it against that.
Ken Cameron

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:30:38 am »

For me this one is "nice enough", but I find myself imagining all the other possible black and white shots of a patch of wind-blown sand, and not getting a sense of what makes this one stand out. Also, your usual standard is pretty high and I am judging it against that.

OK Ken I fully understand what you are saying and agree with you - and thanks for saying I have a high standard of work :)

I don't know what it is about the previous shot that I like, it is sort of 3D yet it isn't if you know what I mean, more interesting then artistic.

Perhaps you may prefer some of my other low tide abstract sand shots - again I like them for their purely abstract nature and the happy couple of hours I spent wandering around snapping with my 50mm f1.4 during this very low tide, on what is essentially the sea bed, but I agree with you and would definitely not class any of them as portfolio grade images.

Dave

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 04:10:54 pm »

Big fan of the second picture you posted. I think it works much better than the first. The close lines at the top work well with the spaced out movement at the bottom. I enjoy the tones as well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up