Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma SD1 lens choices  (Read 1527 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Sigma SD1 lens choices
« on: September 26, 2012, 10:14:45 am »

I am getting serious about ordering a SD1 outfit with one lens but I need opinions about what lens to get. I am considering either the 18-200 or the 18-250. Is one better than another? I wanted the 50-150 but it isn`t in stock yet. I mostly do landscapes. I know the 17-50 is a nice lens but I want something with more range.
Mike

MatthewCromer

Re: Sigma SD1 lens choices
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:16:47 am »

I am getting serious about ordering a SD1 outfit with one lens but I need opinions about what lens to get. I am considering either the 18-200 or the 18-250. Is one better than another? I wanted the 50-150 but it isn`t in stock yet. I mostly do landscapes. I know the 17-50 is a nice lens but I want something with more range.
Mike

With those lenses, just buy a used SD14 and save $1500.

If you want the quality of the SD14 you need really good lenses -- not superzooms.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 09:56:30 pm »

At this point in time, between the SD14 and the SD1, the SD1 is the much better longer-term investment.  The superzoom that won't yield as sharp an image as one could get with an excellent prime or smaller-range zoom, may not be the last lens the OP buys for this camera.  The SD1 registers jpgs and raw simultaneously (albeit slowly!!), something the SD14 didn't do.  One had to choose either raw or jpg, but couldn't get both out of the camera.  I find the SD1's interface (menu system) to be significantly improved over the SD14.  I find the grip to be more substantial/secure, and the resolution is miles ahead of the SD14.  And, for me, the added incentive of the Sigma DSLR is the ease (with an appropriate external visible light blocking filter) of converting between full color photography and infrared (just pop out the internal infrared filter that sits in a frame in front of the sensor).  Of course, this is true of the SD14 as well.  If you want the foveon sensor with interchangeable lenses, the SD1 is a good decision.  Granted, my experience is with the old 17-35 EX lens, but I am pleased to have done the upgrade. --Barbara

solfory

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 03:49:15 pm »

Hi to all. How's the Sigma system with wide angle lenses? Perhaps because of the non FF sensor there is a limitation, especially in images of architecture?
Pages: [1]   Go Up