Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Plustek Opticfilm 120  (Read 46051 times)

TMARK

Plustek Opticfilm 120
« on: September 25, 2012, 09:48:25 am »

Did anyone see this MF scanner at Photokina?  If so, did they have any samples or any hints as to how well it works?

Thanks!

amsp

Re: Plustek Opticfilm 120
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:27:41 pm »

As far as I know there are no samples yet, which is kind off odd since B&H lists it as "expected availability Sept. 30th". But if it lives up to the hype then Christmas is coming early for film photographers.

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 05:48:54 pm »

I have seen the scanner branded as Reflecta running Silverfast 8. it can do multiexposure and with this reaches a density of log 4.01
siggle scan will go to around log 3.2 , qualiy looks good to me, especially I liked the film holders , that´s something that will help a lot working,
most of the other holders I know are pretty much junk , but these look very well done.
Finish and overall look were good,Price in Germany (as Reflecta) will be 1999,-€

regards
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

amsp

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 06:01:18 pm »

I have seen the scanner branded as Reflecta running Silverfast 8. it can do multiexposure and with this reaches a density of log 4.01
siggle scan will go to around log 3.2 , qualiy looks good to me, especially I liked the film holders , that´s something that will help a lot working,
most of the other holders I know are pretty much junk , but these look very well done.
Finish and overall look were good,Price in Germany (as Reflecta) will be 1999,-€

regards
Stefan

I think you are confusing it with the Reflecta MF5000/Pacific Image PF120.

Stefan.Steib

• HCam - Hartblei Pro Photography solutions
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 07:50:12 pm »

I was first also confused when after the show I visited their website , there is only the old one.
But the one they showed on the fair was definitely the 5300 dpi version and sports the same frames withe the Plustek, I recognized them on the images.
So I was told this scanner will also be branded as Quato in the future.

regards
Stefan
Because Photography is more than Technology and "as we have done it before".

TMARK

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 11:12:32 pm »

Thanks Stefan.  The holders do look nice.  If I get one next month I'll report back.  Everything looks promising.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 11:48:37 pm »

I hope so. This is starting to look like vaporware.
Eduardo

Thanks Stefan.  The holders do look nice.  If I get one next month I'll report back.  Everything looks promising.

dizzyg44

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:42:23 am »

Sadly, plustek announced on FB that the scanner is delayed yet again   :'(

RawheaD

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 12:59:49 pm »

Sadly, plustek announced on FB that the scanner is delayed yet again   :'(

Well it smelled like vapor when I heard about it, and it's still smelling like vapor nearly one year later.

TMARK

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 01:16:08 pm »

Saw their scan sample on FB.  Even the compressed JPEG looked fine.  I don't think its vapor.  It seems they really don't want to blow the launch.  I'd rather wait than send it back.

amsp

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 04:02:23 pm »

Saw their scan sample on FB.  Even the compressed JPEG looked fine.  I don't think its vapor.  It seems they really don't want to blow the launch.  I'd rather wait than send it back.

Exactly, calling it vaporware at this point is pretty ridiculous seeing how it's going through internal testing as we speak. Basically they're just finalizing the software to get the most out of the machine.

TMARK

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 04:33:57 pm »

The first delay was with the sensor, as I believe it was discontinued.  Everything needed to be retooled for the new higher res sensor they sourced.

If its 2/3 of the quality the 9000 is capable of, I'm in.  It seems to be, but time will tell.

RawheaD

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 04:49:34 pm »

Well my vapor comment was half in jest; however, I've lived long enough to see product protypes reaching this stage (showfloor appearances, samples on the 'net, even taking preorders) and never actually making it to market.

The first delay was with the sensor, as I believe it was discontinued.  Everything needed to be retooled for the new higher res sensor they sourced.

If its 2/3 of the quality the 9000 is capable of, I'm in.  It seems to be, but time will tell.

This, I cannot aggree with.  It's been 8 years since the 9000 was released.  Plustek, from what I understand, is going to charge more for their scanner than Nikon did for the 9000 at launch.  If this Plustek is not at least as good as the 9000, I'm not in, on principle alone.

Cineski

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 12:15:07 pm »

Yeah, I'm really really glad I didn't sell off my Nikon 9000.  As for the comments above, it darn well better be vastly superior to the 9000 (which does a stellar job).  Considering how many film shooters there are right now, this would be a huge help.  The issue still remains about processing.  I live in a city with many really good film labs.  It's easy for me to drop film off and pick it up.  For those who will scan their own and still have to ship film off for processing, they're going to be seeing 2 trips through shipping before the film is even digitized.  That's frankly scary.  A reliable, viable way to process C41 film at home would be really nice.  One may exist, but I haven't researched this yet.

DeckardTrinity

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 02:18:08 pm »

Jobo CPP3. Coming early 2013.

Tetenal C41, available now.

;D

TMARK

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 11:58:04 am »

Jobo CPP3. Coming early 2013.

Tetenal C41, available now.

;D

Yup.  Not that I'll be doing my own c41, but its not that hard at home.  I have a good lab here, although they are stupid expensive.  I'm in NYC enough that I take film with me and pick it up a few hours later.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 12:26:30 am »

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:28:02 am by uaiomex »

amsp

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 05:01:54 am »

Looks very promising, they sharpen up nicely in photoshop, other than that it's hard to say without doing the testing myself. Not exactly the best photos to show the capability of the scanner, neither is the fact that they seem to have let the software do the scanning without doing manual adjustments for optimal results. The scan of the brick house for example has severely blown-out highlights. I hope someone respected can get their hands on it and do some proper testing soon.

TMARK

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 09:57:31 am »

Looks very promising, they sharpen up nicely in photoshop, other than that it's hard to say without doing the testing myself. Not exactly the best photos to show the capability of the scanner, neither is the fact that they seem to have let the software do the scanning without doing manual adjustments for optimal results. The scan of the brick house for example has severely blown-out highlights. I hope someone respected can get their hands on it and do some proper testing soon.

Yes, I'd like to see scans that capture the full histogram.  They won't do it because they look like crap out of the scanner, and I understand that.  While the tones are nice, it doesn't look as good as the 9000.  I think we need to see a capable scanner guy/gal put it through its paces, iwth a sharp negative from a Mamiya 7.

revaaron

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 12:19:40 pm »

WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT!!!

Maybe I'll sell my 9000 on ebay and get one of these.
it says 120, but I would hope it does 35mm too.

I stopped shooting 120 mostly cause I can't get good scans out of my 9000.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up