Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Third party lenses  (Read 4678 times)

MartinSpence

• Martin Spence Photography
Re: Third party lenses
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 06:15:59 pm »

The likes of Rick Sammon would say stay away from 3rd party glass. Use whatever brand lens as it will be better..

joneil

• This is what beer does to you....
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »

I use or have used both Zeiss and Samyang lenses.  I should point out that I like manual focus lenses to begin with, so your mileage can and will vary.

The Samyang, IMO, are great value for the money.  Extremely sharp glass for the most part, but the wide angles do show more distortion, I think, than some of the better brand name lenses.  Still for the money, and especially for the smaller sensor SLRs, it is hard to beat them.

I like my one zeiss so much I just ordered a second one.  I would normally agree that brand name lenses work best than third party lenses, but the single exception, to me, is Zeiss.  Excellent optics, sharp image, low distortion, built like a tank, and totally seamless integration with my Nikon. 

I would recommend the Samnyang on any smaller sensor camera  - Rebel, D5100, etc.   But on your full frame D800, look at the Zeiss.  Maybe rent one first to see if you like it.
Good luck
Joe

scooby70

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 08:02:01 pm »

The likes of Rick Sammon would say stay away from 3rd party glass. Use whatever brand lens as it will be better..

What's a "brand"? Canon? Nikon?  ;D

IMVHO there really is no place for brand snobbery. To beleive that any one manufacturer, let alone Canon, makes the best lens at every focal, aperture and price point is quite foolish. To pick and choose what is best for each of us is the best way, IMVHO.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 08:38:09 pm »

Ellis, do you plan to review the Samyang 14mm 2.8?  I'm curious about your evaluation, especially on a Nikon D800.  The attached article comparing it to the Nikon and the Zeiss has piqued my interest.
If I can. Time is tight and lens reviews are a lot of work. See if imaging-resource.com has anything to say about them.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up