Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epidemic photography  (Read 4634 times)

OldRoy

• http://
Epidemic photography
« on: September 24, 2012, 01:53:53 pm »

http://www.omgplc.com/news/2012/159/innovative-hands-free-consumer-device-launched-to-market
OMG = Oxford Metrics Group (wonder if they registered the name first?)

This device is basically a wearable time-lapse still/video camera with some clever triggering "targeted at the consumer market" - apparently there have been similar devices aimed at people with severe memory problems, dementia etc. The blurb on their site includes the description:
"Autographer is designed to change the way we think about photography: one where moments are captured without intervention. The user can live the experience while Autographer spontaneously captures the stories that unfold. This is not just a new camera but a whole new photographic approach."

I was reminded of the story by Borges (an idea which I believe he purloined from Lewis Carroll) where cartographers decide that a map of the Empire is only adequate when it coincides point-for-point with the Empire itself - ie 1:1.

This news comes on a week where I see that we have reached a stage where 10% of all photographs ever taken were created in 2011, a statistic I find strangely horrifying.

An artist friend once did an installation which involved accumulating a vast number of snaps from friends and acquaintances and displaying them sequentially on a monitor in a gallery. After about 5 seconds the screen blanked and displayed the word "deleted" followed by the next in sequence.

Roy

Ben Rubinstein

Re: Epidemic photography
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 02:09:14 pm »

This news comes on a week where I see that we have reached a stage where 10% of all photographs ever taken were created in 2011, a statistic I find strangely horrifying.

Roy

You're not the only one.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 02:33:15 pm »

I think somebody made that up. (I haven't read the original article in Fortune so I'm not sure how they arrived at that conclusion).

Even if it's true, all it means is people enjoy using their camera phones to communicate ...

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 02:46:29 pm »

I shouldn't worry about it. 98.4% of all statistics are made up on the spur of the moment.

Jeremy

Nigel Johnson

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 04:36:24 pm »

I shouldn't worry about it. 98.4% of all statistics are made up on the spur of the moment.

Jeremy

I thought that it was 98.6%  ;)

Nigel

marcmccalmont

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:58:43 am »

Statistically, if I take a 5 minute shower with 2.5 minutes scalding hot and 2.5 minutes freezing cold I would be comfortable!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Keith Reeder

• Capture The Moment
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 02:22:52 pm »

Isn't this just Lifelogging?
Keith Reeder
Blyth, NE England

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 02:55:12 pm »

Statistically, if I take a 5 minute shower with 2.5 minutes scalding hot and 2.5 minutes freezing cold I would be comfortable!

But never forget the statistician who drowned in a lake of average depth six inches.

Jeremy

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 07:58:34 am »

He he he, good spirit!

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 08:04:36 am »

Indeed, the growing illusion of time standing still through the pervasive focus on a recursive replay of our past actions or the total waste of energy resulting from huge amount of memories nobody will ever watch?

Cheers,
Bernard

FredBGG

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 10:35:38 pm »

This camera is about as stupid as the Lytro...
Pages: [1]   Go Up