Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The best lens for a D800 E? Stay tuned till Sept 2013  (Read 5359 times)

hasselbladfan

The best lens for a D800 E? Stay tuned till Sept 2013
« on: September 23, 2012, 05:41:31 pm »

I am not sure if everyone saw this, but this is to me one of the highlights of the recent Photokina. The pictures I saw which were made with this Zeiss 55mm f1.4 were just incredible (100% crop in the corners). By far improving the current DSLR line.

Maybe I can get them (I send an email to Zeiss) for everyone to see. Some more info below.

Only sad part is that this lens will only be available Sept 2013 !

**************************************************************************************
Carl Zeiss is heralding a particularly powerful new full-frame SLR lens at photokina 2012.  Dr. Michael Pollmann, Consumer Lenses Product and Program Manager in the Carl Zeiss Camera Lenses Division, is addressing strengths and technical details of the new high-end SLR lens family in a Q&A.

Perfect for high-resolution, full-format digital cameras with more than 30 megapixels such as D800.

http://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/imagenormal/1347012865.jpeg

What is meant by “high-end SLR lens family”?

This is about lenses for full-frame (36x24mm) SLR cameras with manual focusing capability. This family of lenses is geared towards delivering uncompromising image quality for demanding users. The lenses are perfect for high-resolution, full-format digital cameras with more than 30 megapixels such as D800. The combined performance approaches that of medium format systems. If you shoot with the largest aperture, cameras with smaller number of pixels also benefit from much better image contrast.

Will it be a family or just a single lens?

It will be its own family of lenses independent of our current ZE and ZF.2 lenses.

What focal lengths will be available?

Currently, we are developing three prime lenses, with more in the planning stage. We are not ready to reveal them at this time.

How much will the lenses cost?

Since the lenses are more demanding in terms of material selection and construction than our previous ZE and ZF.2 lenses, the price level will be higher. We are expecting prices around EUR 3,000.

For which bayonets will the lenses be available?

They will be available for EF bayonet (ZE) and F bayonet (ZF.2).

The new Distagon T* 1,4/55.

Where will the lenses be made?

The lenses will be manufactured in Japan. They will be developed in close consultation with our longstanding global production network of trusted partners in the optical industry to ensure that the lenses’ actual performance corresponds to their theoretical optical design performance.

What does “uncompromising image quality” mean?

The new lenses will achieve extremely high image quality throughout the entire picture including edges even at maximum aperture. At the same time, chromatic aberration is extremely low.

How come 1.4/55 is considered a Distagon type despite its standard focal length?

Due to the high performance required, we were looking for a fresh approach.  It is true that the Distagon type is predominantly found in wide-angle lenses. This is because wide-angle lenses also require additional design effort in terms of number and arrangement of lenses. Since we were aiming for the best possible imaging performance for the new family of lenses, we decided to manufacture the 1.4/55 as a Distagon. Due to the number and arrangement of lenses, this lens unit is slightly larger in size and weight but uncompromising in its performance.

When will the first lens come to market?

The expected arrival is autumn 2013.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:43:48 pm by hasselbladfan »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: The best lens for a D800 E? Stay tuned till Sept 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:17:31 pm »

Those lenses seem amazing.

On the other hand, I am wondering about the usefulness of have a perfect frame coverage on an 1.4 lens at f1.4.

I would for sure want the image to be perfect in the very corners at f5.6, but the DoF is so limited at f1.4 that there are basically no subjects that are planar enough in nature to stay in focus at f1.4 from center to corners.

So, leaving aside the rare cases where you both want a very shallow DoF and the main subject in the very corner (which can be managed very well with stitching by the way)... I would think that a lens offering a very good image quality at f1.4 1/3 of the frame away from the corner is sufficient for all real world applications.

Less CA is good since it does impact all oof areas, but corner sharpness at f1.4, is it really relevant?

I understand the willingness of the seller to sell us better stuff at higher prices... but in this case, does that really solve a problem photographers have been suffering from?

The way we react to those lenses is going to somehow impact inflation in 35mm photography prices, so I am reluctant to support the message that those lenses are actually superior for real world photography. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:22:00 pm by BernardLanguillier »

pluton

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:37:18 am »

Less CA is good since it does impact all oof areas, but corner sharpness at f1.4, is it really relevant?

Unless we're talking about grotesque blurring in the corners, the common condition of the very, very far corners being somewhat soft on many/most current lenses doesn't bother me.
Nobody looks in the corners.
The far edge(sides), yes...but not the corners.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 03:46:52 am »

Those lenses seem amazing.

On the other hand, I am wondering about the usefulness of have a perfect frame coverage on an 1.4 lens at f1.4.

I would for sure want the image to be perfect in the very corners at f5.6, but the DoF is so limited at f1.4 that there are basically no subjects that are planar enough in nature to stay in focus at f1.4 from center to corners.

Bernard,

Fully agree. You won't need that. But sharpness was improved at all levels, even in the center, at 5.6.

It demonstrates that (if budget is no issue), there is still enormeous room for 35mm lenses to improve to get the best out of the next generation 35-50 MP cameras.

And Zeiss is in full swing to prepare this (and will deliver), contrary to the usual manufacturers, who need to constantly juggle price and performance.

allegretto

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 05:03:29 pm »

Doesn't CA impact all areas of the photo, except perhaps the perfect perpendicular ray at the absolute center of the aperture?

Certainly the radius is a factor, but CA is CA

Or am I being nit-pickey...?

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 07:15:53 pm »

3000 € for a stellar lens is not too much as the prices of stellar camera are halved every three years..( d3x to d800e)

You pay the same and get so much more quality every three years- incredible...
I just had a look at my 'old' BW concert pictures shot at 1000 asa with t-max400. and special development.
now i can shoot about 25600 asa with a better result- also i can see the outcome on the spot -change the asa- and shoot as much as i need.
I do not have to develop in the night and do not have to make contactsheets to find out only one is OK- and to print and scan the print...
it seems so long ago...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 08:53:21 pm »

I just had a look at my 'old' BW concert pictures shot at 1000 asa with t-max400. and special development.
now i can shoot about 25600 asa with a better result

Yep... with those recent improvements it takes really poor skills to get significantly less than 100% keepers.  :)

Cheers,
Bernard

John Camp

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 09:50:04 pm »

I take pictures of "backgrounds" that I turn into paintings -- that is, walls, signs, doors, display windows, etc., often in the evening, and I could on occasion use nice crisp corners from a fast lens; but I'd prefer the same thing in a 90.

Eddy M

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 04:45:13 am »

This depends on how far the subject is from the camera. For 20 meters it's pretty plenty compared to, say, 1 meter. A large
aperture also enables you to use a fast shutter speed.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:52:55 am »

..., and I could on occasion use nice crisp corners from a fast lens; but I'd prefer the same thing in a 90.

From what they told me at the Photokina, there is a small range coming. I am sure a 100mm or an 85mm will be part of it.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:06 am »

Why not want sharp corners wide open? It's not something to fuss over, but it can extend your creative abilities by being able to compose wide open and still use the corners for composition. I think some of you aren't thinking outside the box enough.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 10:02:18 am »

I do interior photography for a living (among other themes). Sharp corners are a must. I don't understand some assessments here. They can of remind me those in which fellows say they would dismiss cameras with articulated screens. You can leave them flushed all the time. As good as fixed. In the rare events where you may need one (I need them very often), they would be there to assist you.
Sharp corners wide open sometimes I need too, as when performing selective focus, for an example.
Eduardo

Why not want sharp corners wide open? It's not something to fuss over, but it can extend your creative abilities by being able to compose wide open and still use the corners for composition. I think some of you aren't thinking outside the box enough.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:08:21 am by uaiomex »
Pages: [1]   Go Up