Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: September Morning  (Read 2755 times)

mattpallante

September Morning
« on: September 23, 2012, 12:20:16 pm »

Beautiful image, Michael. I feel like (I wish I was.) I'm standing there, with no desire to leave.

Matt

GeoffM

• http://
Re: September Morning
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 03:36:38 pm »

Love the composition as well, but I'm starting to see a lot of DP1M and 2M images posted that look "crunchy" - almost too sharp to the point where they don't even look like photos. Is this just a "web thing", where the images look over sharpened in a browser but fine in real life, or am I'm just conditioned to softer images looking more natural?

I don't recall seeing MF images with this "look", which is why I ask.

Geoff

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:20:20 pm »

Love the composition as well, but I'm starting to see a lot of DP1M and 2M images posted that look "crunchy"
Geoff

IME with the DP2M this happens when the image is JPG'd for the Web.  Clearly, it's subjective, but to my pussy eyes what is "honed" in the TIFF files often becomes "crunchy" in the JPGs.

At the same time, between the DP2M, and high-resolution displays like on Apple's MBP with Retina Display, our sense of sharpness -- and therefore our reading of it -- is being changed.  It may be that what today looks crunchy will next week be normalized, and what today looks keen will next week look slack.

michael

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 10:03:29 pm »

Good point. The Merrill images looking terrific on a large monitor and prints, but there's something about down sampling for the web that makes them too crunchy. I'll investigate how to prepare these files better for the web.

Michael

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 10:19:44 pm »

It must undoubtedly have something to do with their looking so exquisitely sharp (before any downsizing) with only a light touch of Unsharp Mask (which is what I still use for my sharpening).  --Barbara
Pages: [1]   Go Up