Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D800E event photography: auto-ISO, White Balance  (Read 1829 times)

Raw shooter

D800E event photography: auto-ISO, White Balance
« on: September 22, 2012, 03:30:18 pm »

All my photography is indoor flash/ strobe - so I am out of my expertise with an event.  I am shooting (as an amateur) a party event and need some advice on the auto ISO settings, WB, and in-camera Jpgs.  Like usual, my clients (family & close friends) are expecting pro results. ;D

My initial setup:
 * Due to my testing (guessing!), for Auto-ISO, I now have set the Maximum Sensitivity to 6400 and the Minimum Shutter Speed to 1/100.
 * Capture is set for RAW + JPG (small).  JPG set for High ISO NR = Normal, Active D-Lighting = Normal
 * White Balance is set for Auto1 (normal).  This is a big concern, as I would prefer a non-variable setting.

The shoot is indoors and outdoors in early evening.  I will use the popup flash (fill flash) about 50% of the captures.  I will use the RAWS and the JPGs will be downloaded, to a guest laptop, immediately at the end of the event.

Will appreciate any guidance with this shoot. Any advice will be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: D800E event photography: auto-ISO, White Balance
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:51:53 pm »

I'd set WB for flash and JPEGS to Fine /large

natas

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 10:05:45 pm »

If your shooting indoors you need to get a strobe...the popup flash in my opinion will not give you a "professional" results. Put the strobe on and either get some sort of diffuser or bounce the flash. Set your camera to 800-1600. For the outdoor shots just pay attention to where the sun is. Early morning shots outdoors should be fairly easy to pull off. I suggest iso 100-400 depending on the time of day.

allegretto

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 11:35:08 pm »

pop up?

you're gonna have to figure out how to eliminate red-eye on the spot too...
Pages: [1]   Go Up