Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji x100  (Read 6768 times)

MichaelAmira

Fuji x100
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:40:30 am »

Hello,

I am planning on getting the Fuji x100 in the next few weeks and have two questions.

First, is the lens hood a good investment? I like the thin profile of the camera, and plan on keeping it in a section of my school backpack. I feel the lens hood will add add more edges to snag on when in the bag, creating potential for damage.

Second, is now a good time to buy? I was hoping to see a successor at Photokina, but since that has yet to happen it seems I'm still clear of an update any time soon.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Best,
Michael

AlexRobinson

Re: Fuji x100
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 04:54:09 pm »

If you can wait I would. The x-e1 is everything that the x-pro 1 and x100 should have been. Size wise, the body is basically the same as an x100 but the viewfinder, control layout and auto focusing are vastly superior. After playing with a sample on Friday I placed my order (should arrive early oct just in time for my trip to Taiwan).

I just can't see a justification for the x100 now unless its at a very very good price. If size is an issue, the xe1 with a 18mm lens is barely any fatter. Also, there's a 27mm pancake on the way next year too.

TMARK

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 02:21:50 pm »

I loved it but sold it.  I just couldn't get on with the AF and controls.  Amazing IQ, amazing JPEGS, amazing lens, amazing dynamic range, etc.  Despite these positives, I hated using it.

douglasf13

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 08:27:18 pm »

Hello,

I am planning on getting the Fuji x100 in the next few weeks and have two questions.

First, is the lens hood a good investment? I like the thin profile of the camera, and plan on keeping it in a section of my school backpack. I feel the lens hood will add add more edges to snag on when in the bag, creating potential for damage.

Second, is now a good time to buy? I was hoping to see a successor at Photokina, but since that has yet to happen it seems I'm still clear of an update any time soon.

Thank you in advance for your inputs.

Best,
Michael

Go join one of the Fuji X forums and you'll find out all kinds of ways to make smaller hoods.  I actually use a Pentax 40/2.8 lens hood on the camera, which is tiny.  Also, you can buy generic X100 hoods and filter threads for next to nothing on ebay, and they're just like the OEM versions.

With its small size, Bayer sensor (not a fan of X-Trans,) and leaf shutter, the X100 is the last Fuji camera I've been interested in.  I've chosen the NEX-7 as my interchangeable model over either the X-E1 and X-Pro1.

rasterdogs

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 11:02:04 pm »

If you can wait I would. The x-e1 is everything that the x-pro 1 and x100 should have been. Size wise, the body is basically the same as an x100 but the viewfinder, control layout and auto focusing are vastly superior. After playing with a sample on Friday I placed my order (should arrive early oct just in time for my trip to Taiwan).

I just can't see a justification for the x100 now unless its at a very very good price. If size is an issue, the xe1 with a 18mm lens is barely any fatter. Also, there's a 27mm pancake on the way next year too.

Well the X-E1 is sort of   ;)   everything the X-pro1 and X-100 should have been. If one wants the Optical View Finder you'd be hard pressed to find that on the X-e1. I got the X-pro1 in large part due to the OVF. I'm pondering the X-e1 as a second body as it seems like a good backup.
-rasterdogs

gullevek

• http://flickr.com/photos/gullevek/
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 11:34:52 pm »

The optical viewfinder is the reason I have the X-100. I go the hood, and I always feel a bit more safer with it.

Even if the AF is not that great, and it is slow to wake up, it is just the best day to day camera I ever owned.

AlexRobinson

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 01:19:52 am »

I wound up flaking on buying an X-E1, why? I looked back at the RAW files I shot earlier this year on an X-Pro 1 and they are garbage in Lightroom and Fujifilm failed to deliver it to me on time too. Comparing it to the X100 files which process well I retract my recommendation for the X-E1 until Fuji or Adobe can resolve this problem. I really wouldn't have minded bringing an X100 with the wide angle converter after all…

John Gellings

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 08:24:21 am »

The x-e1 is everything that the x-pro 1 and x100 should have been. Size wise, the body is basically the same as an x100 but the viewfinder, control layout and auto focusing are vastly superior.

The EVF is better but it is missing the OVF.  Control layout is about the same and the AF is no better than the X-Pro1 with most lenses. 

rasterdogs

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 09:57:35 am »

I wound up flaking on buying an X-E1, why? I looked back at the RAW files I shot earlier this year on an X-Pro 1 and they are garbage in Lightroom and Fujifilm failed to deliver it to me on time too. Comparing it to the X100 files which process well I retract my recommendation for the X-E1 until Fuji or Adobe can resolve this problem. I really wouldn't have minded bringing an X100 with the wide angle converter after all…

While I agree that the Adobe Raw conversion of the X-trans sensor needs to improve I don't characterize the conversions as garbage.  ;)
I've been doing a fair amount of testing printing the same image from an OOC jpeg and a converted Raw file. In most cases, printing at ~25cm x 40 cm
I have difficulty determining if the source for the print was Jpeg or Raw.  If I view the printed images with a loupe I can discern the funky
Adobe de-mosaicing of the Raw sourced images. Without the loupe I don't discern any notable difference.
This applies to ~90 % of the files I've looked at.

Notable artifacts show up in ~10% of the converted Raw files. This seems to be most apparent in images with a lot of high frequency detail. It doesn't occur all the time, seems to be almost random.

I'm very satisfied with my X-pro1 have considered an X-e1 as a 'second' body. I'm waiting to see if the Raw conversion issue improves. I'm inclined to go 'all-in' with the Fuji X series but will wait to see if the X-trans technology will be fully embraced

Pelao

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 03:14:37 pm »

While I agree that the Adobe Raw conversion of the X-trans sensor needs to improve I don't characterize the conversions as garbage.  ;)
I've been doing a fair amount of testing printing the same image from an OOC jpeg and a converted Raw file. In most cases, printing at ~25cm x 40 cm
I have difficulty determining if the source for the print was Jpeg or Raw.  If I view the printed images with a loupe I can discern the funky
Adobe de-mosaicing of the Raw sourced images. Without the loupe I don't discern any notable difference.
This applies to ~90 % of the files I've looked at.

Notable artifacts show up in ~10% of the converted Raw files. This seems to be most apparent in images with a lot of high frequency detail. It doesn't occur all the time, seems to be almost random.

I'm very satisfied with my X-pro1 have considered an X-e1 as a 'second' body. I'm waiting to see if the Raw conversion issue improves. I'm inclined to go 'all-in' with the Fuji X series but will wait to see if the X-trans technology will be fully embraced

My experience with the RAW files is pretty much the same. Overall I am seeing excellent detail from this sensor, assisted of course by good glass. Describing the RAW output in a blanket manner as 'garbage' is at odds with my experience.

I also would not say the XE-1 is everything the X-Pro 1 should have been. I love using the OVF, and find this to be a distinctive and innovative feature that sets the camera above the competition for my purposes. When allied with the outstanding interface, I have the camera I have he camera I have long desired. It's addictive in use and output.  The XE-1 is certainly cool, but would not be my first choice.

Of course, everyone has their own priorities.
Pages: [1]   Go Up