Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Softproof with Snapshots instead of Virtual Copies  (Read 1963 times)

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
How to Softproof with Snapshots instead of Virtual Copies
« on: September 21, 2012, 10:18:37 pm »

In the Advance Guide to Lightroom 4 video Jeff says he argued for Softproofing to be implemented as Snapshots instead of Virtual Copies.

This surely is not as elegant as Jeff argued for, but it is easy to use snapshots for softproofing instead of virtual copies if you want.

Snapshots, even snapshots of virtual copies, are stored in the file’s xmp space.  In the case of virtual copies, the snapshot is stored in the master file's xmp (surprise!).  So simply save a snapshot of the adjusted softproof.  It is then available in the master file.  Retaining the virtual copy is not necessary.

When you start to make a snapshot adjustment and receive the popup, if you select “Make This a Proof” and then create a snapshot, LR will name the snapshot as the proof profile (e.g., SPR3000 Velvet Fine Art Paper).

You can then have multiple snapshots in your master file for multiple output printers/papers.  Much like we used to do with layer groups in PS for various output profiles.

If necessary it is easy to set any given snapshot or history state as the “before” (right click…).

I like snapshots since they are stored in the xmp space as well as the catalog.

I normally name my snapshots as 01, 02, 03 and so on, sometimes with descriptive text appended.  Since LR displays them alphabetically, you can have them ordered as a chronological history.

Of course, this technique can be used instead of virtual copies in any situation you choose.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: How to Softproof with Snapshots instead of Virtual Copies
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:42:00 pm »

Snapshots, even snapshots of virtual copies, are stored in the file’s xmp space.  In the case of virtual copies, the snapshot is stored in the master file's xmp (surprise!).  So simply save a snapshot of the adjusted softproof.  It is then available in the master file.  Retaining the virtual copy is not necessary.

Yep...I had thought of demoing that but it is kinda tricky and you do have to clean up after yourself...but it's a good solution you have come up with–kudos on finding it on your own!

MarkH2

• Mark Henning Photos
Re: How to Softproof with Snapshots instead of Virtual Copies
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:06:58 am »

Yep...I had thought of demoing that but it is kinda tricky and you do have to clean up after yourself...but it's a good solution you have come up with–kudos on finding it on your own!

Thanks, Jeff.  High praise coming from Zeus himself!  When I discovered that the vc snapshots were in the master's xmp, the light bulb flashed.  This suggests that the develop settings for a vc may also be stored in the master's xmp, but I cannot find them with LR or ACR.  Are they there, and if so somehow accessible?
Pages: [1]   Go Up