Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: OSX Mountain Lion with NEC 2690 WUXI and SpectraView II = No Communications  (Read 30333 times)

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel

I upgraded my big iron mac pro today to Mountain Lion and have been caught with an apparent issue where SpectraView II can no longer communicate with my NEC 2690 WUXI monitor. This problem is noted on SpectraView's website for thunderbolt connections. However, in my case I am connected via DVI - not thunderbolt.

The documentation does say there may be other issues that cause this HERE

Has anyone else come across this issue and found a fix?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Josh-H

Re: OSX Mountain Lion with NEC 2690 WUXI and SpectraView II = No Communications
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 06:04:48 am »

Interestingly, when I first open Spectraview it does detect the monitor - but it then finishes opening and looses communications - see attached.

Wild Nature Photo Travel

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 06:27:03 am »

Important compatibility notice:
Due to issues with the new Mac OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion), SpectraView II is not able to communicate with the displays on some systems with Thunderbolt (miniDisplayPort) video outputs when using a miniDisplayPort to DVI cable. This impacts all LCD 80 series, LCD 90 series, and the P221W models. NEC is currently working with Apple to resolve this issue, which is expected to be fixed in a future update to Mac OS 10.8.
http://www.necdisplay.com/support-and-services/spectra-view-II/Downloads
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

Josh-H

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:32:16 am »

Yes I saw that - but as I note: I am connected direct via DVI and not using thunderbolt or mini display.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Evanford

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 12:30:21 pm »

I just went through these hoops with my NEC 2490 WUXI2 and Mac Book Pro running Lion.  You will need a dual-link DVI cable instead of a normal one.  When checking your cable it should have three rows of eight pins like in the diagram presented here:  http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html#Page06  I picked one of these up from Radio Shack for $30. 

You mention you are not using Thunderbolt or mini display port.  Is that correct?  Just straight DVI?  If so then the DVI cable is all you need.  If not, you will also need the Apple dual-link to mini display port adapter ($100 from Apple store) instead of the normal adapter that most stores carry. 

If you are still having problems send an email to NEC Display Support.  Their support team is excellent.  Honestly I didn't expect to get my problem fixed.  NEC Support not only responded back to me, but an engineer set up a hour long phone call with me working through my issue.  Once it was pin pointed to  the DVI cable,  I purchased the the proper cable and adapter and Spectraview now communicates with my monitor.

I wish I could say everything is now perfect.  For some reason I can not calibrate with a contrast ratio other than native, but that appears to be some sort of Spectraview bug. 

Good luck,

Evan

Evan 

Josh-H

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 06:23:55 am »

Yes, I am using straight DVI.

I did check my DVI cable and it is a DVI-D Dual Link cable. So unfortunately this is not the cause of the problem.

I have contacted NEC technical support and they have told me that the only fix is modification of the video drivers in Mountain Lion by Apple. A copy of my system configuration went to NEC to be passed onto Apple. Hopefully *fingers crossed* it gets resolved in 10.8.3 or .4.

Very frustrating that Apple have to mess with these things when it was working so well. I hung off for a bit on the Mountain Lion update as well but didn't hear of any issues that were going to affect me. Spectraview was one of those things I forgot to check.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else has run into the same problem with Mountain Lion and SpectraView.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 02:36:01 pm »

My NEX PA301w and spectravision work with no problems on mountain lion.  Using the DisplayPort to mini display port cable.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 02:58:58 pm »

My NEX PA301w and spectravision work with no problems on mountain lion.  Using the DisplayPort to mini display port cable.

It seems to be DVI>DVI and mDP>DVI releated problem. From time to time there are bugs in video card drivers, so the DDC/CI communication with the monitor doesn't work. It had happened in the past with some nVidia drivers under Windows OS.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

WillH

• http://www.necdisplay.com
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 11:32:09 am »

Just a word of warning to anyone contemplating updating to 10.7.5; This update appears to break monitor communications with displays connected via Single Link DVI in the same way as OS 10.8 does.

If you are using an NEC LCD 80 or 90 series display and rely on calibrating it, I would not recommend applying this OS 10.7 update at this point until it is resolved by Apple.
Will Hollingworth
Senior Manager, Product Development
NEC Display Solutions of America, Inc.

BradSmith

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 04:19:30 pm »

Josh,
Thanks.  A BIG thanks for posting this.  I was just getting ready to upgrade and I absolutely hate this type of problem.   I have jammed on the brakes and will wait this out.
Brad

jsavage21

• Jason Savage Photography
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 01:01:28 am »

Had recently updated Lion to 10.7, and now my NEC 2690 is getting the "No Communication" from SpectraView Software. Bummer as this is my main editing monitor. Any thoughts or workaround on this Will? Is it reasonable to calibrate my 2690 using Color Eyes software in the meantime?

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com

I'm having the issue too. MacPro, 10.8.2, DVI-DVI cable, LCD2690Wuxi-BK, Latest version of Spectraview. This has been going on since Mountain Lion was released, so quite a long time.

heinrichvoelkel

Hello out there. Any solution to this problem yet?

Josh-H

To my knowledge no solution as yet - my patience is starting to wear a bit thin. Very frustrating being unable to communicate with the display for a proper calibration.
Wild Nature Photo Travel

heinrichvoelkel

Yes, unfortunately no solution yet, I got an email from NEC stating they are working with Apple on it.

I asked if I can use another Mac running a OS supported and simply copy the icc profile created to the machine running 10.7.5, and they ( NEC) said "yes, it is the only workaround".

I did so, but somehow the screen looks off and little too bright for my taste. On the other mac it looked okay.

So, I'm not sure if this is a viable way to go.   

nik

• Nick Vasilopoulos Photography
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 10:58:22 pm »

Exact same issue here, Macbook pro (july 2007!) and NEC 2690WUXi2. Like you I held off upgrading to 10.8 but forgot to check Spectraview. :(

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 08:54:58 pm »

Well it's been 6 months now and no support for these monitors under Mountain Lion. Not a peep from Apple or NEC despite multiple updates to OSX.

Josh-H

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 03:22:24 am »

Well it's been 6 months now and no support for these monitors under Mountain Lion. Not a peep from Apple or NEC despite multiple updates to OSX.

I admit to also being really jack of this situation. I had some really colour critical work for a client a few weeks ago and actually ended up hiring another studio space because I could not calibrate my own monitor to 100% ensure the colour was spot on.

We need to be clear though that this problem is one of Apple's making and the onus is on them to fix it. NEC from my understanding have passed on all the required info to Apple long ago.

I have set myself a deadline of mid January. If its not fixed by then I will rebuild my mac pro with Lion and wont touch mountain lion until such time as all bugs are resolved.. of course by then we will probably be looking at OSX Cougar (or whatever it will be called).
Wild Nature Photo Travel

bdkphoto

• http://www.brucekatzphoto.com
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 09:46:42 pm »

Any word yet on a time frame for a fix? 

Kit-V

I echo all of the comments & sentiments regarding this issue. I am running OS 10.7.5 on a MacBook Pro connected to an NEC MultiSync P221W. I have the same "no communication" problem & am totally frustrated. If Apple does not resolve this issue soon, I will have to seek out an alternative.

Let me broach this question: Is the "no communication" issue between the NEC displays & Apple's OS 10.7.5 (as well as OS 8) associated only with the SpectraViewII software/hardware? Would a different colorimeter work?

Thank you.

Kit

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:58:43 pm by kitvercella »
Falling Fork Photography
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up