Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Yellowstone like in late October / early November?  (Read 2233 times)

cialowicz

What's Yellowstone like in late October / early November?
« on: September 20, 2012, 08:37:32 pm »

I'm moving from Boston to San Francisco in late October / early November. Due to the move, I'm driving cross-country, and I'd like to stop somewhere interesting for a few days and do some landscape and wildlife photography. My thoughts were either Yellowstone or the Grand Canyon. I imagine that the Grand Canyon is probably a bit easier to deal with in early winter or late fall, but I've always had a very strong thing for Yellowstone. Of course, I'll be going to both many more times over the course of my lifetime (hopefully!).

I understand that some of the roads close in Yellowstone on November 4th. Are they generally traversable just prior to that, or are serious vehicles required (I have an AWD Passat)? I'm looking at going in very late October and the first few days of November. I'm happy dealing with some winter conditions, as long as the roads are open.

Any thoughts / advice?

Thank you,
Mike
http://michalography.com
http://500px.com/cialowicz

PDobson

Re: What's Yellowstone like in late October / early November?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 12:06:41 pm »

I haven't been to the Park in a long time, so I can't be of much photographic help. I do know that when they close the road, they close it. Even snowmobile access is restricted to official tours. That means you either ski in or poach with a snowmobile.

I don't find fall to be terribly attractive in Montana. Everything is dead and smoky and you don't have exciting summer storms or the peaceful blanket of snow that winter brings. Of course, there are always photo opportunities, but fall isn't my favorite. Yellowstone might be considerably better than here, too.

If you go to the Desert, I recommend a stop over in Zion. It's really beautiful in November. It's mostly on the way, too.

aragdog

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 02:02:47 pm »

Late October can be questionable.  A couple of years ago, we were in Jackson and wanted to go into the parks and they were pretty bad then.  In any case go as early as you can.  South of there will be amazing as there may still be some color changes and yes there will be snow.  I love the late part of September - early October the best.

Enjoy it is beautiful.

lfeagan

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 04:41:20 pm »

From looking at a weather almanac, the average high for the first week of November is 44 and low of 25. If you go hiking up in the mountains, it will likely be notably more harsh with winds from the North.
Lance

Nikon: D700, D800E, PC-E 24mm f/3.5D ED, PC-E 45mm f/2.8D ED, PC-E 85mm f/2.8D, 50mm f/1.4G, 14-24 f/2.8G ED, 24-70 f/2.8G ED, 70-200 f/2.8G ED VR II, 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
Fuji: X-Pro 1, 14mm f/2.8, 18mm f/2.0, 35mm f/1.4
Pages: [1]   Go Up