Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Phase One thinking .... can't even make a proper filter holder..  (Read 3652 times)

FredBGG

They come out with a $6,000 lens and can't make a proper matt box for lee filters???

What they came up with is a double sided dust magnet and will suffer from rear light reflections.

Well I guess they used the same guy that designed their eyecups... must like light spills

This type of holder also isn't good for shooting multiple shots with different filters.
The way the filter is held on by pressure rather than a slide in slot with a base makes it hard to
change filters without moving the camera.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 01:28:52 pm by FredBGG »

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
Re: What is Phase One thinking .... can't even make a proper filter holder..
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 01:28:15 pm »

How exactly would you have made a better one? Its literally the same as oh I don't know every other filter system in the world........
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

FredBGG

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 01:59:04 pm »

How exactly would you have made a better one? Its literally the same as oh I don't know every other filter system in the world........

Not the ones I use....

Very simple. Closed at the back. One friction held filter slot for graduated filters and one draw like slot for filter swapping.

Also just take a look at motion picture matte boxes, The Fuji gx680 bellows with built in filter holder.

Lindhal filter holders for MF and large format.

Gear dear matte box

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:02:28 pm by FredBGG »

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:00:55 pm »

% of people who use those vs % of people who use Lee et al . no argument.

For Clarification *By use of the word "Lee" we mean "Lee filter holders" and by the use of the words "et al" I meant others like Cokin and whoever makes those type of filter holders
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:06:58 pm by Brian Hirchfeld »
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

FredBGG

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:03:20 pm »

% of people who use those vs % of people who use Lee et al . no argument.

All three of these take lee filters.

% of light spill with the Phase one filter holder vs % of light spill with all the others I posted... no argument ;)

« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:05:42 pm by FredBGG »

FredBGG

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:08:53 pm »

Good luck rotating the polarizer in this one without getting your fingers on the graduated filter in front.

FredBGG

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 02:18:34 pm »

I guess you could use this on the back

http://phototipspro.com/location-tools/black-foil/

Also with the common use of ND filters in still landscape photography for that water to mist look
the filter holder should have an articulation so you can tilt it up so you can compose without peering through an 8x ND filter.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 03:32:32 pm »

All of the 150 x 150 Lee Filters will have the issue of the catching a reflection from the back.  In the field I always carried a black lens soft cloth, the ones with the velcro tabs, and wrapped it over the top to block out light.  The Black foil would work also
and I like it's design as it will more than likely stay in place better.

Cokin Pro, Lee, for sure have the problem on the larger filters, not sure about the Fotodiox solution. 

As this rig seems just like the Lee setup for the Nikon 14-24,  currently there is no CL-PL round filter that you can rotate for the 150 x 150 size filters.  When I used my Cokin Pro on the older Mamiya 28, (I made a special mount adapter
for the Cokin pro which allowed it to slide up on the hood of the 28mm) I never used a grad since I tended to need a CL-PL also.  I used a 5.65 x 5.65 Schneider glass CL-PL sheet filter mounted to the very front of the Cokin pro.  This
allowed me 1 internal filter which tended to me a 0.9 or 0.6 ND.  By it's design the Cokin allowed rotation around it's axis, so you could still rotate the sheet filter.  This excluded the use of a grad. ND or color filter. 

Maybe Lee has a CL-PL in the works for this rig as I am pretty sure this setup is 150 x 150 so anything they make could also be used by Nikon 14-24 users. 

Back to Fred's point, if the CL-PL fits inside and was round like the smaller CL-PL's from Lee, then yes each time you rotated it you would more than likely have to pull the sheet filter on the outside to get at the CL-PL

Still better than nothing, which was what the users of the old 28mm Mamiya had for years.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

FredBGG

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:00:41 pm »

This one allows for even square filters to be rotated and no rear light leaks/invasion.

Isak Bergwall

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 04:15:05 pm »

Why use a holder at all, especially with a GND filter, your Much better of handholding it so you can move it slightly up and down during exposure so you can fade out the transition line..

Pages: [1]   Go Up