Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad Lunar  (Read 8256 times)

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
Hasselblad Lunar
« on: September 18, 2012, 08:54:28 am »

Seems like the rumors were correct. Hasselblad apparently announced a mirrorless camera called the Lunar. Here are some more images drawings. Looks like they are pulling a Leica  :D

EDIT: ... and the back of the camera and the twin dial on the top immediately reminded me of some other camera. And then I read that the lens mount is speculated be Sony's E mount. I hope it's not really going to be a $5,000 NEX-7.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:02:35 am by Fips »

michael

Re: Hasselblad Lunar
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:38:47 am »

It's going to be a $5,000 NEX 7.

Michael

Fips

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:48:03 am »

:(  ... I guess that's the confirmation that technology has advanced to a point where small companies cannot compete on a larger market anymore without external help.
To me that thing looks like a woody wagon went to bed with a formula 1 car. Anyhow, I hope I will be able to see that thing in person on thursday.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:50:30 am by Fips »

nad54

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:48:51 am »

Absolute Lunar - cy

Hasselblad seemed to have taken a look at Alpa and thought "if we take a NEX 7 and glue a wooden grip on the side we can charge an extra $5,000 for it just like those folks at Alpa do*

As a lover of and long time Hasselblad user it is so sad to see such a great company make such spectacularly bad business decisions.

No wonder David Grover (and others) jumped ship

It is pig ugly as well

*only joking about the Alpa reference - I'm sure they put more effort into their cameras

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 09:58:55 am »

It's a bit depressing that this is a smart marketing move for them. To me it is a blatant waste of manufacturing resources, engineering and design as these mass consumer products with some wood and gold will become mantle pieces almost instantly. Well, maybe not engineering, as Sony has already done 90% of that and produced a decent tool without the burled walnut and texalium grip.

gingerbaker

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:08:45 pm »

Yes, very few of us this side of the pond will want a $5000 NEX-7.  But what if this was $200.00 option?

There is quite an accessories aftermarket in the auto industry, and it appeals to more than a few psychological profiles. There are those who want to hot-rod their 'rides', others who like the idea of replacing some sterile interior plastic surfaces with  the sensuality of rich wood. British-Bavarian automaker Mini owes a lot of their success to their decision to market individual customizations of interior and exterior options as a 'cool' exercise in expressing ones individuality.

And yet we have a 55 billion dollar camera industry with almost zero marketing of this concept.  Yes, there are some customizations available, but most of them are utilitarian, not aesthetic.  About all we see marketed by manufacturers are a few cameras with a choice of exterior colors.

Given today's computer-assisted 3-D scanning and 3-D sculpting technology, I am curious how successful a business model built around these ideas would be.  $55 billion is a gigantic market.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:10:36 pm by gingerbaker »

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 12:09:31 pm »

April Fool's Day was six months ago.

imagico

• http://www.imagico.de/
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 12:52:49 pm »

The title of Michael's comment - Hasselblad Announces its NEX Step - made me wonder if he had NeXTSTEP in mind.  If yes the logical conclusion might be: Hasselblad is going to be bought by Apple...
Christoph Hormann
photolog / artificial images / other stuff

francois

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 01:05:42 pm »

…If yes the logical conclusion might be: Hasselblad is going to be bought by Apple...

And we'll see a QuickTake X early next year!
Francois

Fips

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 01:50:36 pm »

Hasselblad also announced a "compact camera" in the not-so-distant future. In that light the Sony RX1 suddenly makes a lot more sense. It's not just a halo product for Sony itself but they'll also sell it as an OEM to Hasselblad who will wrap it in carbon fiber, titanium, and whale penis leather and charge about $5,000 for it. As Michael already pointed out, they'll sell quite a few of those in Russia, China, and some other places.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 02:24:58 pm »

:(  ... I guess that's the confirmation that technology has advanced to a point where small companies cannot compete on a larger market anymore without external help.

The Phase One IQ was developed entirely in-house (components like the LCD were obviously sourced from manufacturers of those parts, but all implementation/design/assembly was by Team Phase One). It uses it's own operating system kernel (yes nerds that's right, it's very own ground-up kernel), it's own in-house-developed touch layer (for the user interface), it's own CPU (designed by phase one specifically for this back), and it's own processing engine.

It's LCD and user interface, 18 months into the launch, are still head and shoulders above the LCD and user interface of every other pro camera out there - including all the Japanese dSLR makers.

So I don't think you should extrapolate one example from one company to a statement on the industry as a whole.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 02:28:03 pm by Doug Peterson »

Fips

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 02:37:41 pm »

That might be true. But I wouldn't say it is targeted at a larger market. There will always be companies making high-end specialized products for applications where cost is no object.

TMARK

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 04:36:36 pm »

Seriously?  Lunar?  NEX-7 is Wolfs' Clothing?  LAME.

K.C.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 07:02:13 pm »

Actually that happened over a decade ago and it's not limited to the camera industry.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 08:46:07 pm »

Hasselblad seemed to have taken a look at Alpa and thought "if we take a NEX 7 and glue a wooden grip on the side we can charge an extra $5,000 for it just like those folks at Alpa do*

Or maybe Sony looked at Hasselblad and thought "let's create our own Lexus brand".
Next model to be announced - a 24MP FF Hasselblad Venus SLT99, in Ferrari red and yellow. Available in second quarter 2013.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 09:00:12 pm by LesPalenik »

FredBGG

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 09:52:45 pm »

The Phase One IQ was developed entirely in-house (components like the LCD were obviously sourced from manufacturers of those parts, but all implementation/design/assembly was by Team Phase One). It uses it's own operating system kernel (yes nerds that's right, it's very own ground-up kernel), it's own in-house-developed touch layer (for the user interface), it's own CPU (designed by phase one specifically for this back), and it's own processing engine.

Might explain why the USB does not work yet after more than a year...

FredBGG

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 10:02:00 pm »

It's LCD and user interface, 18 months into the launch, are still head and shoulders above the LCD and user interface of every other pro camera out there - including all the Japanese dSLR makers.

Just one little problem or two..

By the time you are done using the touch screen instead of buttons the screen is all full of finger prints... smudges etc... hardly conducive to viewing images.

Live view is crap, slow and not even close to DSLRs. I think it's safe to say that live view is a significant part of the user interface as is control of corner to corner right off the sensor auto focus.

figure1a

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 12:20:32 am »

Guess that means the DSLR that Hasselblad is going to introduce next year will probably just be a rebranded Sony Alpha or something.

shadowblade

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 01:25:39 am »

Just one little problem or two..

By the time you are done using the touch screen instead of buttons the screen is all full of finger prints... smudges etc... hardly conducive to viewing images.

Live view is crap, slow and not even close to DSLRs. I think it's safe to say that live view is a significant part of the user interface as is control of corner to corner right off the sensor auto focus.

Are fingerprints really any worse than nose prints?

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 04:23:25 am »

if you cant beat the mamba join the mamba
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up