Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad Lunar  (Read 48700 times)

design_freak

Re: Hasselblad Lunar
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2012, 05:22:56 pm »

Stupid marketing and terrible ignorance  >:(
The sense of taste I will not even mention...  :'(
The Management Board should resign
Best regards,
DF

D Semick

« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2012, 05:57:41 pm »

While I agree this camera caught me off guard, I think many here are not understanding the target market.

**For full disclosure, I'm a dealer who sells Hasselblad, Sinar, Phase and Leaf. **

This may very well be the last time many of us hear about the Lunar. I don't believe Hasselblad will be marketing this towards the average shooter. This camera is most likely geared towards the person wishing to buy into the Hasselblad brand. The entire reason for the purchase is due to the brand. This individual probably isn't very technically proficient in digital capture and just likes to "take pictures".

The other end of the spectrum is the pro shooter on the coasts where perceived  image is important. One may call it a novelty item, a boutique purchase..whatever. Hasselblad is trying to capitalize on their brand and diversify. I can't fault a company for that. The real winner here may be Sony.

Hasselblad introduced another item that we seem to be overlooking…the H5D. This body has an improved TrueFocus engine, more robust curtain screen, longer battery life, 24mm lens and an awesome macro converter that I got to play with today.

I'm willing to cut them a little slack because they didn't forget about us and addressed many shortcomings to the H4D body.

Denny
Denny Semick
Dodd Camera - Professional Imaging Division
Phase One |  Leaf  | Sinar  | Hasselblad | ALPA
dsemick@doddcamera.com  p.216-361-6805
http://www.doddpro.com

PeteZ28

« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2012, 06:31:58 pm »

Lunar and Nex7 side by side

image from dpreview hasselblad stand report

How do you defend this?

It's like they didn't even bother to disassemble the Nex-7 and put the guts into a new housing; they literally just shoved an Nex-7 into a hideous shell!

PeteZ28

« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2012, 06:44:13 pm »

While I agree this camera caught me off guard, I think many here are not understanding the target market.

**For full disclosure, I'm a dealer who sells Hasselblad, Sinar, Phase and Leaf. **

This may very well be the last time many of us hear about the Lunar. I don't believe Hasselblad will be marketing this towards the average shooter. This camera is most likely geared towards the person wishing to buy into the Hasselblad brand. The entire reason for the purchase is due to the brand. This individual probably isn't very technically proficient in digital capture and just likes to "take pictures".

The other end of the spectrum is the pro shooter on the coasts where perceived  image is important. One may call it a novelty item, a boutique purchase..whatever. Hasselblad is trying to capitalize on their brand and diversify. I can't fault a company for that. The real winner here may be Sony.

Hasselblad introduced another item that we seem to be overlooking…the H5D. This body has an improved TrueFocus engine, more robust curtain screen, longer battery life, 24mm lens and an awesome macro converter that I got to play with today.

I'm willing to cut them a little slack because they didn't forget about us and addressed many shortcomings to the H4D body.

Denny

There are just some things that a premier brand should know better than to do. Ever. Lunar was one of them. The one thing Hasselblad always had going for them, even in the digital world, was timelessness and staying power. All of their products have always been a cut above the rest in absolute quality and functionality (although some may argue that with the H series...). But lets face it. 10 years from now, people will still seek out V series 'Blads and X-pans. Who knows what innovation will come in MFD but so far even the eldest of digital backs and cameras are still holding relatively amazing value compared to their DSLR counterparts and are still sought after by photographers; no small feat considering the often rapid depreciation and trendiness of digital products.

But now, now they have taken one of those rapidly depreciating (and relatively fragile) commodity consumer products and wrapped it in a $5,000 shell. In 5 years an Nex-7 will be long obsolete and worthless just like all other digital consumer products. The fact that is was stuffed into a $5,000 case isn't going to change that.

Kind of reminds me of those Lamborghini body kits that they sold for Pontiac Fiero's back in the 80's. And you don't see those around any more.

design_freak

« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2012, 06:48:54 pm »

Denny

Is this a joke? got a new paint? The buttons on the DB changed positions - by the man who had never used the camera...
Best regards,
DF

D Semick

« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2012, 06:51:06 pm »

In 5 years an Nex-7 will be long obsolete and worthless just like all other digital consumer products. The fact that is was stuffed into a $5,000 case isn't going to change that.

Your making the assumption that this is a concern to Hasselblad or the target market.
Denny Semick

design_freak

« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2012, 06:57:42 pm »

Dear D Semick,

You write about target market ...

Do you know someone who would like to buy it?

Best regards,
DF

PeteZ28

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2012, 07:17:32 pm »

Your making the assumption that this is a concern to Hasselblad or the target market.

I get that you are trying to protect a brand you represent, but like a politician trying to defend a gaff; sometimes you just have to call a pig a pig and walk away. The uproar from the photographic community has been immediate and unanimous. This is NOT the type of product that consumers expect from Hasselblad. This is the reason that so many companies will open a new brand for their second tier products. It's so they can run away from them when this happens.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #108 on: September 20, 2012, 07:27:00 pm »

Come to think of it...this is a brilliant move for.. Sony! If anyone ever had any doubts about NEX design... after seeing this lunacy, Sony looks like the pinnacle of industrial design ;D

design_freak

« Reply #109 on: September 20, 2012, 07:32:58 pm »

For a moment I thought that they wanted to take a free advertisement. After announce that it was a joke...
Best regards,
DF

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #110 on: September 20, 2012, 07:39:20 pm »

Oh, I finally got it! It must be that Dwight (Dwight Kurt Schrute III, of The Office fame) finally got promoted to his dream position: Chief Marketing Officer of Hasselblad! ;D

design_freak

« Reply #111 on: September 20, 2012, 07:44:44 pm »

LOL
Best regards,
DF

gss

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2012, 07:46:58 pm »

I have been fully committed to Hasselblad for a long time, but after this I think maybe the folks at Hasselblad should be committed.

FredBGG

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2012, 08:24:27 pm »

Hey they managed to downgrade the eye cup too..

PeteZ28

henrikfoto

« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2012, 02:47:32 am »

I think a lot of people are crazy enough to buy this strange camera.
Hasselblad in good financial shape might also gain the MF industry.
If they hadn't done something new they might have been history soon.

Maybe the Lunar will lead to a new H6?

D Semick

« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2012, 04:28:53 am »

I get that you are trying to protect a brand you represent, but like a politician trying to defend a gaff; sometimes you just have to call a pig a pig and walk away. The uproar from the photographic community has been immediate and unanimous. This is NOT the type of product that consumers expect from Hasselblad. This is the reason that so many companies will open a new brand for their second tier products. It's so they can run away from them when this happens.

By no means am I trying to protect any brand. I'm just pointing out a different perspective that's all. I really don't believe that this product is intended for "the photographic community"....it's for a different demographic. Hasselblad has chosen to leverage their brand instead of creating a second tier brand. Whether I believe it will be successful, is an entirely different debate that I will not engage in.

I haven't any misconceptions that this product will sell in my market. If anything, our sales associates will tell customers who are looking at the Sony, " This camera is so good that Hasselblad rebranded it as one of their own". This customer will then buy the Sony.

Different market. Different demographic.

Denny
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 03:58:41 pm by D Semick »
Denny Semick

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2012, 12:42:40 pm »

A brief history of time, in Victor Hasselblad initials:

V - series

H - series

Hahahaha - series

TMARK

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2012, 12:51:15 pm »

Dear D Semick,

You write about target market ...

Do you know someone who would like to buy it?

Marcus Klinko!  Ha!

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2012, 01:25:54 pm »

This camera will attract a lot of astronauts... they follow a different trend..

Hmmm, Paul Claesson of Hasselblad still did not shine his light here on his new born baby-alien
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up