Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Selecting Sheet Feeder for Matte Black Ink - Epson 3800  (Read 1267 times)

mlondon

• The Spirit of Tea
Selecting Sheet Feeder for Matte Black Ink - Epson 3800
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:27:39 pm »

Finally getting around to testing out the Hot Press and Cold Press papers on my 3800.

They normally feed thru the Rear Manual Feed. However I like to cut an 8.5x11 sheet into four for test strips, and the small sheets do not fit in the Rear Manual Feed.

With Exhibition Fiber, I'm able to select the regular Sheet Feeder with Photo Black ink, but when I switch to the Hot/Cold Press papers, it forces me to use the Rear Manual Feed (the Sheet feed option is greyed out).

Any suggestions?
Thank you...
www.spiritoftea.com

"There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept" Ansel Adams

Randy Carone

Re: Selecting Sheet Feeder for Matte Black Ink - Epson 3800
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 01:24:37 pm »

HP and CP Epson papers are too thick for the Sheet Feeder and must be used with the Rear Feed. The flap on the Sheet Feeder calls out (on a sticker) that their Ulstra Smooth Fine Art, Velvet Fine Art and Water Color Radiant White are NOT to be used in the Sheet Feeder. This holds true of their new HPBW, HPNW, CPBW and CPNW papers. If the user forces the use of the Sheet Feeder the feed rollers can be damaged (from too much pressure) and you may notice pressure marks on the surface of the finished print. Stick with the Rear Feed for these papers. BTW, you can feed 8½"x11" in the Rear Feeder and simply orient your strip where you want it on the paper. Should work. You may have to make sure the strip does not print to the feed edge of the test paper so when you re-feed it to do subsequent strips the print head does not 'see' the ink from the first strip.
Randy Carone

elolaugesen

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:04:49 pm »

Randy"   what do you mean the print head does not see the ink from first test?   do you mean printing over it ??   

cheers elo

Randy Carone

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:10:33 pm »

I've heard that some Epson's won't print on media that has been 'inked'. When the head checks the leading edge for skew I believe it also looks for printed media. No certain on this one. I'll look into it and report back.
Randy Carone

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »

I've heard that some Epson's won't print on media that has been 'inked'. When the head checks the leading edge for skew I believe it also looks for printed media. No certain on this one. I'll look into it and report back.

I print test prints 2-up on 8.5 x11 sheets (changing the position of the print area on the sheet when I print the second image, and I can report that not only will the 3800 and 3880 let you print on media that has already been printed on, it will let you overprint the printed area as I found out on a couple of occasions when fed the wrong end of the paper in on the second pass.
Pages: [1]   Go Up